PDA

View Full Version : Worst decision ever

nexenizer
04-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Had I known that this game is such crap I would have left it on the shelf. Well.. no need to bother after this. I'll just stick with BioWare from now on. It's sad really since the story seems nice and the some of the ideas are great, it's just the controls etc. that suck.

First there is this DRM thingy, which I detest as such a strict version. I does however seem to work quite well even on my unstable network connection. Had to stop playing a couple of times though because of it.. when I loose my network connection for a few seconds the game never realizes it's back on. Perhaps making a bit less strict might work.

The worst problem that stopped my gaming however are the controls and the stupid time limits which really get on my nerves. I'm done with this one for good, I believe it played for a total of 2 hours. Waste of money.

nexenizer
04-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Had I known that this game is such crap I would have left it on the shelf. Well.. no need to bother after this. I'll just stick with BioWare from now on. It's sad really since the story seems nice and the some of the ideas are great, it's just the controls etc. that suck.

First there is this DRM thingy, which I detest as such a strict version. I does however seem to work quite well even on my unstable network connection. Had to stop playing a couple of times though because of it.. when I loose my network connection for a few seconds the game never realizes it's back on. Perhaps making a bit less strict might work.

The worst problem that stopped my gaming however are the controls and the stupid time limits which really get on my nerves. I'm done with this one for good, I believe it played for a total of 2 hours. Waste of money.

mornegroth
04-14-2010, 11:36 AM
You gotta be patient and skillfull with the controls.

DRM however, that's other thing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Murcuseo
04-14-2010, 12:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nexenizer:

The worst problem that stopped my gaming however are the controls and the stupid time limits which really get on my nerves. I'm done with this one for good, I believe it played for a total of 2 hours. Waste of money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol you gave up after 2 hours for god sake, how can you expect to learn how to play a game properly in that amount of time.

You're probably just so used to playing in a particular style its harder for you to grasp it... you're missing out on a treat of a game so I'd suggest sticking with it... certainly more than 2 hours anyway http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

nexenizer
04-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Still annoyed, but I might consider giving it one last chance after a couple of days.. we'll see.

I'll have to think about the keymapping also. The keys never seem to be where they should be, I've tried several combinations, none of them worked so far, thus most of the annoyance.

BK-110
04-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Well, nexenizer, that's what we call not being used to the controls.

I recommend getting some kind of controller. I've played the first Assassin's Creed on the PC. It was playable with mouse and keyboard, but not as enjoyable as with a controller. It's just the kind of game made for being played with a controller, if you ask me.

adarwinter
04-14-2010, 03:50 PM
i find the control really comfortable (k\b + mouse) and i have no complaints what so ever. i changed my weapons keys to other numbers that made more sense to me and i also changed the empty hand to a side button on my mouse but not much more.

a friend of mind havent played any PC games in the past 15 years! he bought a gaming rig 2 months ago and MW2 and AC2 are his first games since he was 15! he needed a trainer to finish MW2 and he says his coordination sucks and in AC2 he falls occasionally of roof tops and presses the wrong keys occasionally (space instead of shift and visa versa) yet he told me he thinks the game is amazing and he enjoys it a lot and he's on sequence 4 or 5 now.
this just shows u that even though he is about 30 y\o with very lil time on his hands (wife + 2 kids) he still finds patience to learn and adapt to a completely new environment - computer games. if HE can do it, so can you.
put the game aside for a day or two. come back to it fresh, be patient and try stuff. tell yourself - "i want to reach from this rooftop to that church over there quickly." andd see how u do it. be prepared to press 'free hand' if u fall, get accustomed to sharp turns and do it.

monkeyuncle8
04-14-2010, 04:30 PM
did you really have to post this. there are enough people wining about this game and the DRM why dont you just build a bridge and get over it and stop wasting peoples time

Six_Gun
04-14-2010, 10:53 PM
I don't find the controls any harder than the first or harder than any other game of this type. If you would have been more specific as to what exactly you struggle with control wise, it would have been easier to offer advice. The closest I come to being frustrated control wise is getting stuck at times on edges looking down vs dropping, or on railings creeping along them vs jumping off.

I am playing on ancient spec using a mere P4 and X950Pro though, so the lag makes it hard at times to time counter moves or even freerun smoothly if having to change direction quickly a lot. It's mainly when I'm in a huge map with lots of enemies around me. Quite often I can control the combat with relative ease though, and frequently use unarmed disarming techniques and counter moves.

Control wise this game is much more intuitive than the last. If you are locked on you stay locked on to anyone the lock switches to in your immediate area, so you can easily attack or counter someone behind you if you watch closely for it coming. Dodging also works pretty well, and can save health a lot when surrounded and one or two enemies are hard to counter or attack. If in doubt just get your guard up immediately when attacked (R mouse or equivalent) to minimize injury.

One thing that can be a bit hard is circling around behind an opponent, you pretty much need a distraction like fellow soldiers or smoke bombs. However a dodge followed by a quick attack usually is quite effective on slower enemies like Brutes even when fighting solo with no distractions. It can wear then down, and when they're tired you can switch to unarmed and disarm then with relative ease. One of my fave animations is the big ax to a Brute's head after taking it away from him.

At times the camera can become a problem if you're in a tight area or are not careful where to setup your fight. In maps with lots of foliage it can wind up behind trees making it hard to see. The camera is actually the clumsiest part of controlling the game IMO. It springs too much and combined with the extreme widescreen ratio, it can be hard to look around as you're moving. Part of it is the lag I get though.

Though I often don't like timed missions, I've only found one in the whole game so far that was pretty hard to beat, and I've beaten all the story missions and all side quests up through Sequence 7. There was a side quest called No Camping that required heading from the center of town to 3 separate areas in it's outskirts and killing a fairly large group of guards (large for the amount of time alloted) in each spot, all within 5 minutes. I managed to beat it solo though and with only 1 smoke bomb per area. I only had a scant few seconds left though.

Stormpen
04-16-2010, 08:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BK-110:
It's just the kind of game made for being played with a controller, if you ask me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hah.......

bnalgene21
04-17-2010, 03:15 PM
No, there are not enough people complaining about the DRM. If there were, ubisoft (small u intentional) would have fixed their glaring mistake by now.

nexenizer
04-21-2010, 02:01 PM
The DRM stills buggs me. If I lose the net while playing, the game never realizes it's back up again. It just gives the option to quit back to windows after which I lose all progress.

This is NOT the way to do this Ubisoft.

Getting back into the game though.. I'm glad I tried it again. The playing experience however, is not nice though, because of my crappy network connection. I really hate it when this happens! I've been paying for my games for the last 8 years now (and I spend a LOT of money on games per year) but I'll definately reconsider when dealing with games that have this level of DRM involved. Meaning, I won't buy a single copy, ever again. Unless this is fixed to a manageable level of DRM or whatever..

Climbmaster1
04-22-2010, 01:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nexenizer:

The worst problem that stopped my gaming however are the controls and the stupid time limits which really get on my nerves. I'm done with this one for good, I believe it played for a total of 2 hours. Waste of money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you don't like the game because you aren't good at it but you only gave it two hrs. Hmmm. Okay. I'm not sure your opinion is valid but you are allowed to put it on the forums I guess.

Murcuseo
04-22-2010, 01:18 PM
His complaints with the game obviously generate from one particular subject(which I won't mention) and more often than not when someone gets a stick up their... anyway, he seems to have improved when it comes to the controls of the game so hopefully his view will be less biased after a while.

Not very likely but heres hoping...

BrianHanna
04-22-2010, 04:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mornegroth:
You gotta be patient and skillfull with the controls.

DRM however, that's other thing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

meh, the drm is done now.

Meleth1977
04-23-2010, 12:49 AM

Pff...I'm a 33 year old woman and up untill now I've been playing Sims 3 and Myst. If I can handle this game, anyone can...

obliviondoll
04-23-2010, 06:49 AM
If I lose the net while playing, the game never realizes it's back up again. It just gives the option to quit back to windows after which I lose all progress. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Have you mentioned that in the tech support forum. I know it's not meant to do that. I'm not surprised to hear it, but it's still what I'd call a bug and worth checking if it's known and has a workaround.

Six_Gun
04-23-2010, 02:00 PM
The game is not hard if you use all the available armor and weapons as well as stealth, but you can make it very difficult if you want. I'm on my 3rd play through and this time haven't bought a sword, small weapon, or any armor but the greeves you have to buy. I've just been picking up swords if mine gets knocked out of my hand. So far the Venetian Falchion is the best sword I've used (which is just average really). The only others I've used are the Old Syrian and of course the Common Sword Mario gives you.

I'm also going about gameplay with minimal stealth, pretty much only where you have to avoid being seen. When doing missions or raiding treasures I'll take on any guards that come with a sword fight. The hardest one so far has been the side mission where you follow a lady to a party and take out the host. I fought all the armored guards before killing him. There were several spear carrying Brutes, which I find the toughest, esp when many are surrounding you. I almost got all of them with just the sword, but I finally had to pull out one smoke bomb to finish off the last few as I was out of health vials.

The next side mission was the one where the guy you have to kill is a Brute and he's surrounded by numerous other armored guards. I decided on that one to just run through the guards after pulling myself up from a ledge hanging in the water, kill him with the hidden blade, and dive back in the water and swim away. After you've taken on numerous heavy guards surrounding you with minimal gear, you realize the game can be quite challenging. I have just recently bought the war hammer unlocked with 50 feathers just out of curiosity, but it doesn't offer the nice gore animations the swords do and killing the armored guys is too easy.

My fave battle so far has been the one in the last tomb just before you get to the side wall jump puzzle area. I had the Syrian sword, target locked a guard in front of the Brute, jumped down on him knocking him and the Brute down, stabbed the Brute as he was down, countered the guard as he got up for a finishing kill, then got the rest of the guards with defensive counters and finishing kills. It was all done in less then a minute. My prior attempts I kept reloading the checkpoint because I kept getting my armor damaged, but that time I was in a zone and took no damage to health or armor.

nexenizer
08-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Yes.

First of all, I'll say that my opinions were likely biased because I was annoyed with the game. The DRM did most of that though..

Anyway, I just replied once more just to say that AC2 is one of the best games I've ever played. You guys were right and I'm glad I took the time to get to know the controls etc.. I still haven't finished it but.. well, you know, it's just GREAT. I'll probably have to buy Brotherhood now.. and then AC3.. AND I still haven't played ACI. I'll have to fix this first, luckily I own it already.

Has something been done about the DRM? It's working with no problems now.. even with my crappy Internet connection. I didn't believe this possible after the immense problems when starting, but I can now play without problems.