PDA

View Full Version : New Quad Cores coming from Intel...

triad773
09-26-2006, 07:26 PM
If you thought the Intel Core 2 Duo was hot, check out what's coming:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20060926/tc_pcworld/127271

DROOL factor warp 10!

Further proof the advice of waiting to upgrade: who knows what socket these things will be?

Cheers

triad773
09-26-2006, 07:26 PM
If you thought the Intel Core 2 Duo was hot, check out what's coming:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20060926/tc_pcworld/127271

DROOL factor warp 10!

Further proof the advice of waiting to upgrade: who knows what socket these things will be?

Cheers

VW-IceFire
09-26-2006, 07:44 PM
More cores that you probably won't use much. Dual core right now is interesting and potentially useful because at least you can try and get Windows to shuffle off some of that background stuff to one core and dedicate the game that your running to the other core. Or run two intensive tasks at once....but so far...no games use multicores yet.

Quadcore is hype. For now. Until the software catches up. Still cool...but don't expect 4x the performance.

This'll be great for servers wanting to virtualize multiple OS's and services.

heywooood
09-26-2006, 09:53 PM
a dedicated physics core...
a dedicated background systems core...
Who knows where we are headed once we have the computers designing themselves.

VW-IceFire
09-26-2006, 10:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heywooood:
a dedicated physics core...
a dedicated background systems core...
Who knows where we are headed once we have the computers designing themselves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah eventually we'll go towards cores dedicated to one or two functions. Intel laid out a roadmap that suggested that they would aim for something rediculous like 80 cores in 5 years or something.

heywooood
09-26-2006, 10:08 PM
prolly look like a stack of pancakes...maple syrup cooling system...oh damm now I'm hungry.

p1ngu666
09-26-2006, 11:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heywooood:
prolly look like a stack of pancakes...maple syrup cooling system...oh damm now I'm hungry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

im hungry now aswell!

http://overclockers.com/tips01035

the multicores are about mostly because they cant produce faster "single" cores anymore

R_Target
09-26-2006, 11:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Yeah eventually we'll go towards cores dedicated to one or two functions. Intel laid out a roadmap that suggested that they would aim for something rediculous like 80 cores in 5 years or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard something like that too. But don't forget that the 10Ghz netburst P4 was also on a roadmap. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

-HH-Quazi
09-26-2006, 11:31 PM
I love chip wars, as it is good for the end users like us. What I don't like about it is that some people, 10,000 acording to the article, has had to be laid off until Intel gets back on top or at least headed that way.

heywooood
09-26-2006, 11:39 PM
yes - the ends don't always justify the mean..ness

partic_3
09-26-2006, 11:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What I don't like about it is that some people, 10,000 acording to the article, has had to be laid off until Intel gets back on top or at least headed that way </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
shhhh! You don't want to know how much off this stuff is coming to a factory/work place near you. Actually my biggest fear is that the immanent depression will prevent the release of BOB!
Mind you, most people think I'm a nutter.

Bearcat99
09-26-2006, 11:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
I love chip wars, as it is good for the end users like us. What I don't like about it is that some people, 10,000 acording to the article, has had to be laid off until Intel gets back on top or at least headed that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is precisely why I wont be upgrading any time soon as long as I can run my most intensive apps.... FB basically.. with the XP3200 32 bit based rig I now have.... I am hoping that by the time BoB is released and I have it and can see just what it will do and will need even some fo the dual core stuff out now will cost me @ 30-40% less then than it will now.

WOLFMondo
09-27-2006, 12:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
More cores that you probably won't use much. Dual core right now is interesting and potentially useful because at least you can try and get Windows to shuffle off some of that background stuff to one core and dedicate the game that your running to the other core. Or run two intensive tasks at once....but so far...no games use multicores yet.

Quadcore is hype. For now. Until the software catches up. Still cool...but don't expect 4x the performance.

This'll be great for servers wanting to virtualize multiple OS's and services. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its already here. 2 dual core chips in one board being used on servers to host multiple games with ease.

For personal use the dual core isn't that important but after buying one and using it for a bit with XP64 you can see the benefit, things run very slick and call alt tab back and forth between different apps and games instantly.