PDA

View Full Version : Level bombing in a fighter

Mercwolf2
07-15-2008, 01:22 PM
~S~ All

Anybody have any tips on level bombing in a fighter. Altitude is 1000m to 1100m and can't be deviated from, no wonder woman views allowed but F2 is. I realize that this isn't a regular thing to do. I have been practicing this but any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mercwolf2
07-15-2008, 01:22 PM
~S~ All

Anybody have any tips on level bombing in a fighter. Altitude is 1000m to 1100m and can't be deviated from, no wonder woman views allowed but F2 is. I realize that this isn't a regular thing to do. I have been practicing this but any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

na85
07-15-2008, 01:35 PM
1) Start QMB in desired fighter and start recording .ntrk

2) Get to desired/required speed and alt. Make note of your speed

3) Drop bombs

4) Watch ntrk and make note of where they land

5) ????

6) Profit!

Urufu_Shinjiro
07-15-2008, 01:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:
1) Start QMB in desired fighter and start recording .ntrk

2) Get to desired/required speed and alt. Make note of your speed

3) Drop bombs

4) Watch ntrk and make note of where they land

5) ????

6) Profit! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I loled hard!

jolly_magpie
07-15-2008, 01:46 PM
1000m? Cripes thats high. Get down and dirty, I firewall the throttle, approach target in a slight dive, don't use rudder. Get it nice and straight, same as strafing. I pickle 'em off when the target disappears under the cowling. After that, it's just practice.

I was terrible for a long time, then I just got good all of a sudden, once I did it enough. Bags of fun.

general_kalle
07-15-2008, 01:48 PM
read at book about 56th Fighter group in england.
they flew P47's and tried level bombing. first guided by a B26 and later by a P38 with bombsight. But it was not succesfully.

Mercwolf2
07-15-2008, 06:51 PM
I realize it was unsuccessful but I have one drop required with the above parameters for JO's Top Bomb this weekend. I am not allowed to dive, it is level bomb. I need to try and get as many points as I can on the one drop. I am looking for ideas. I have tried the recording and that looks like the best option at the moment.

WTE_Galway
07-15-2008, 07:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pehi001:
I realize it was unsuccessful but I have one drop required with the above parameters for JO's Top Bomb this weekend. I am not allowed to dive, it is level bomb. I need to try and get as many points as I can on the one drop. I am looking for ideas. I have tried the recording and that looks like the best option at the moment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about unlimited ammo while recording ?

Then you can drop a series of bombs and see which gets closest.

Another thing to consider is practice at quarter speed.

badatit
07-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Get heavy fighter up to desired alt and speed.
Get her trimed out "really" well.

Go to F2 view...Very Important to only use mouse to alter view. No TrackIR etc...

Get view directly above your aircraft...use the prop for a visual que.

Drag the view back toward the rear of the aircraft.

Now....you need to become one with your target. Close your eyes, and use the force.

Monterey13
07-15-2008, 08:07 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif That was funny.

Good luck Wolfie. Wish I could be there.

PanzerAce
07-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Here's how I level bomb: fast as I can, 50m, external view, alot of delay on the bomb (depending on the size).

Other than that, I dive bomb, SO much easier.

LEXX_Luthor
07-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Yep, 1km is too high unless you are flying in a large formation of bombing aircraft. Say, 100m min, or less (somebody poasted 50m http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif ).

PanzerAce
07-15-2008, 10:48 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

You just have to be REALLY fast, and have a proper delayed fuse. I generally run atleast 3 seconds if I'm going to level bomb.

M4Sherman4
07-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Hit F8 hit the hat switch twice and lit it go as soon and you target passes under the nose

GIAP.Shura
07-16-2008, 02:23 AM
Level bombing in a fighter from that altitude just seems like a daft exercise to me and a waste of munitions.

DKoor
07-16-2008, 03:00 AM
Instead of level run, I can recommend dive run to you.
Unless you aren't in a Bf-109... in which case you'll lawn dart faster than your bomb, kinda reminds me of those crazy looney tunes cartoons, like it isn't enough that you crashed there's your bomb crashing onto you too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .

Anyhow, if you conduct dive run properly not only you'll attack from rather higher alts, you'll also have vastly improved precision on your side.

If you choose to persist with level run, then just follow na85 advice.

BWaltteri
07-16-2008, 03:05 AM
It is difficult from 1000 meters because you don't see the target at the moment when you drop the bomb, the margins of hit and miss are quite small.

The bomb glides further if your speed is higher, but making that into some chart becomes too difficult for me.

Get a very big bomb and release it just before you reach the target. - it will result in either hit or miss.

Sorry but I don't know any better - I played the Jabo campaign and sometimes they hit and sometimes they didn't.

TinyTim
07-16-2008, 04:19 AM
C'mon guys have you, before posting, even read what this guy is asking about? He knows dive or skipbombing is more effective! His goal of learning how to level bomb in a fighter is not to become a succsessful groundpounder. He needs it for fun, challenge event that has nothing to do with groundpounding.

All he is asking about is whether someone already has a method for level bombing with a fighter, just like there are methods how to level bomb with AI-only bombers, when you use propellers, canopy bars, nose tip and other objects on a plane for a visual cue when to release a bomb, something like this but for a fighter:

http://shrani.si/f/1L/cB/1fI3iVth/b-29.jpg
Pic taken from excellent Guide to Aim points for AI heavy bombers by =TgD=Thrud

So, Pehi001, is fighter type and its bombload your free choice? In this case, naturally go for an F4U with 2x1000lb + 1x2000lb. As a second choice I'd consider Do335 with SC1000.

SterlingX
07-16-2008, 04:32 AM
Toss? Fly at 1050m, full flaps, lowest throttle, lift nose directly above target, stall (zero airspeed), press bomb release.

Not a real combat maneuver (unless you are in a Su-27 and called Pugachev), but given the rules and the lack of AAA, it seems like the obvious way to do it.

GIAP.Shura
07-16-2008, 04:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TinyTim:
C'mon guys have you, before posting, even read what this guy is asking about? He knows dive or skipbombing is more effective! His goal of learning how to level bomb in a fighter is not to become a succsessful groundpounder. He needs it for fun, challenge event that has nothing to do with groundpounding. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had read the post, I was just saying that, in my opinion, it was a pretty useless exercise. Training (or motivational awards) should build in skills and behaviour which are appropriate to the role you are training for. Judging the "Top Bomb" on what is, in the worst case, pot luck and, in the best case, a one-case party trick, doesn't seem very fruitful to me.

TinyTim
07-16-2008, 05:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GIAP.Shura:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TinyTim:
C'mon guys have you, before posting, even read what this guy is asking about? He knows dive or skipbombing is more effective! His goal of learning how to level bomb in a fighter is not to become a succsessful groundpounder. He needs it for fun, challenge event that has nothing to do with groundpounding. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had read the post, I was just saying that, in my opinion, it was a pretty useless exercise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed 100%. However, that's how some of our wives for example see the simming as whole. It's us having fun with simming, they don't understand it. It's him having fun with level bombing in a fighter, we don't understand it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GIAP.Shura:
Training (or motivational awards) should build in skills and behaviour which are appropriate to the role you are training for. Judging the "Top Bomb" on what is, in the worst case, pot luck and, in the best case, a one-case party trick, doesn't seem very fruitful to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed again. However... we all have a pile of code named IL2 1946 on our HDs. We all use it to have fun. Some more historical, some less, some even less. This guy has his own fun with this code, rather unusual I admit, and he came here asking for help. I see no reason to critisize the fun he is having with the sim, instead of providing him help he is asking for. He is not enforcing anything on us, he is just asking for help about his way of having fun with the sim.

Bremspropeller
07-16-2008, 06:12 AM
B-29 @ 10kft @ 240mph = teh perfect target http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Monterey13
07-16-2008, 06:30 AM
See guys,
For the competition, there are certain planes allowed. If I were going to be in town this weekend, I would be competing, and I would be using B-25 or A-20C. You have to use the same plane for all events. There are level bombing runs from 1000m to 5000m, one dive bomb tgt and one carrier that can be torped or skip bombed.

Whichever plane you use has to be able to do all three competitions. Apparently, he is choosing a fighter bomber which will excel in the skip and dive bombing, but will lack some in the level bomb department. He is just asking for any tips to help.

Breeze147
07-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Hypothetical baloney!! In a combat situation, the bad guys are shooting back and all your cute theories are useless. Check out Dart's training videos for the correct way to do it.

Cptn_Goodvibes
07-17-2008, 03:41 AM
The Russians built an aircraft just for this sort of thing. It's called the "Yak-9B". Wishing you more success with it then 901 IAP had with them over Poland in late 44.

VW-IceFire
07-17-2008, 09:54 AM
I guess if its for a competition then I'd try and setup some sort of system for dropping from the cockpit.

Establish speed and altitude guidelines and try and be on them every time you do it. Then line up with the gunsight...watch the target pass beneath it and figure out how long you need to count before bomb dropping. Practice this of course before the event until you find the delay time.

I'd take the biggest bombs possible too! If I were doing it in a Tempest then I'd definitely have the 1000lbers so even if I'm close it should be a kill based purely on the blast http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The best plane for this that doesn't have a bombsight might be the Do-335. Then you at least have the option of engaging the level stabilizer to make your job easier. If the other competition events involve being a fighter the Do-335 can still do it and it can out run almost everything.

Zoom2136
07-17-2008, 12:02 PM
I would try bombing with a Buffulo... if I remember correctly that thing as a windows in the floor... maybe you could use it as somekind of bombsight????

EDIT did not read above... well I would use a A20 with the bombsight...

WTE_Galway
07-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Who cares if its not practical.

Neither is flying bombers under bridges inverted but people spend weeks perfecting that.

Korolov1986
07-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Level bomb in a fighter just like you'd skip bomb. Simply time it so your bombs impacts with the target before they hit the ground.

Does me wonders when using the wimpy SC50 or FAB50 against tanks.

na85
07-17-2008, 07:53 PM
seriously... do what i said, it'll work

Monterey13
07-17-2008, 10:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:
seriously... do what i said, it'll work </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He has a point Wolfie. There is no scientific method. Just practice. Good luck!

TinyTim
07-18-2008, 04:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Korolov1986:
Level bomb in a fighter just like you'd skip bomb. Simply time it so your bombs impacts with the target before they hit the ground.

Does me wonders when using the wimpy SC50 or FAB50 against tanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suspect you didn't read the whole thread and don't know that level bombing has to be done from an altitude of 1km. I'd very much like to see you killing tanks with SC50 from that high....

Mercwolf2
07-18-2008, 08:56 AM
I have come up with my tactic that I am going to use.

1) get to altitude
2) line up target and trim
3) at a rough distance, determined from practice, drop bomb by "using the force"
4)pray and thank the heavens above if it actually hits the target and gets points

Thank you everybody for your input.

Saburo_0
07-18-2008, 11:26 AM
May the Force be with you! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif