PDA

View Full Version : Pe-8's HIGH EXPLOSIVE!!



FallenBlade14
02-01-2004, 05:36 PM
I was playing single player the other day, and thought how wondrerful it would be to have a 5000lb bomb for me to have. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
If anyone knows how to set any ai planes as 3rd person planes please tell me or leave me a link, thnx!

FallenBlade14
02-01-2004, 05:36 PM
I was playing single player the other day, and thought how wondrerful it would be to have a 5000lb bomb for me to have. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
If anyone knows how to set any ai planes as 3rd person planes please tell me or leave me a link, thnx!

LEXX_Luthor
02-01-2004, 06:22 PM
Try the 5000kg bomb its alot bigger. BOOM.



__________________
RUSSIAN lexx website http://www.lexx.ufo.ru/members.shtml
Stanly is a moron, kai is a walking dead beet, Xev just want sex.
:
you will still have FB , you will lose nothing ~WUAF_Badsight

Raider_356th
02-01-2004, 06:49 PM
yeah its a nuke, mushroom cloud and everything...jus make sure u aint anywhere near the boom, or itll take u too, even if ur in the air...will distroy most of a base with one bomb....

Wildman
5E_B
364thFG Commanding Officer
"Too Tough To Tame"
"Fighter Aircraft Are Designed-And Fighter Pilots Are Trained-To Fight. If There Are Enemy Aircraft In The Air, And Contact Is Not Made, Somthing Is Wrong"
-From VMF-214 ("BlackSheep") Offical History, Appendix E: Major Boyington's Combat Tactics
http://blacksheepwebdesign.net/364thFG/364thFGWeb/364banner.jpg

JR_Greenhorn
02-01-2004, 07:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FG364th_5E_B:
yeah its a nuke... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Are you sure about that?



PS. Are you aware that your sig is too wide?

LeadSpitter_
02-01-2004, 08:38 PM
pe8 was a failure, the underpowered engines couldnt even carry the 5000lber for a short period of time, they wound up using the pe8 as a diplomatic transport I know

I dont think the 5000lb was ever used in combat, someone prove me wrong http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif also if anyone has any footage of the 5000lb tests it would be interesting

shouldnt 10 1000lb bombs have double the blast radius?

you can drop one 5000lb on a enemy runway and kill everything 1800m verticle by 1800m horizonal, seems a little too powerful compaired to 10 1000lbs dropped in close effect



also the pe8 being able to shootdown 3 b17s is kinda shady

http://www.geocities.com/leadspittersig/LSIG.txt
VIEW MY PAINTSCHEMES HERE (http://www.il2skins.com/?planeidfilter=all&planefamilyfilter=all&screenshotfilter=allskins&countryidfilter=all&authoridfilter=%3ALeadspitter%3A&historicalidfilter=all&Submit=+++Apply+filters++&action=list&ts=1072257400)

Vladimir_No2
02-01-2004, 08:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LeadSpitter_:
pe8 was a failure, the underpowered engines couldnt even carry the 5000lber for a short period of time, they wound up using the pe8 as a diplomatic transport I know

I dont think the 5000lb was ever used in combat, someone prove me wrong http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif also if anyone has any footage of the 5000lb tests it would be interesting

shouldnt 10 1000lb bombs have double the blast radius?

you can drop one 5000lb on a enemy runway and kill everything 1800m verticle by 1800m horizonal, seems a little too powerful compaired to 10 1000lbs dropped in close effect



also the pe8 being able to shootdown 3 b17s is kinda shady

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
KILOGRAM! NOT POUND!

http://www.doyle.com.au/images/scharnhorst2.JPG
"Engage the enemy more closely" -Rear Admiral Cradock

Vladimir_No2
02-01-2004, 08:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LeadSpitter_:
pe8 was a failure, the underpowered engines couldnt even carry the 5000lber for a short period of time, they wound up using the pe8 as a diplomatic transport I know

I dont think the 5000lb was ever used in combat, someone prove me wrong http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif also if anyone has any footage of the 5000lb tests it would be interesting

shouldnt 10 1000lb bombs have double the blast radius?

you can drop one 5000lb on a enemy runway and kill everything 1800m verticle by 1800m horizonal, seems a little too powerful compaired to 10 1000lbs dropped in close effect



also the pe8 being able to shootdown 3 b17s is kinda shady

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
10 1000kg bombs should not have double the blast radius because each explosion is a seperate event.

http://www.doyle.com.au/images/scharnhorst2.JPG
"Engage the enemy more closely" -Rear Admiral Cradock

VW-IceFire
02-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Its not a nuclear device at all. Its in the realm of the British Grand Slam high explosive bombs (which were carried by modified Lancaster bombers) and the explosion is such that it does produce a mushroom shaped cloud...and it looks pretty cool in the game too!

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig1.jpg
The New IL2 Database is Coming Soon!

Geshausen
02-01-2004, 09:34 PM
That's why I love to fly the Pe-8 in mutiplayer, head straight for blue base, and BOOOOOOOOM! I usually am taken out too, but its worth it. hehehehe http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Imperial Studmuffin

www.wtfiml33t.com (http://www.wtfiml33t.com)

FI-Aflak
02-01-2004, 09:37 PM
I love setting like a 15 second bomb delay, flying low over enemy base and dropping it, then flying away.

After the pilot on the ground gets over his fright at seeing that large golden egg land next to him, it works its black magic.

MosDef_99th
02-01-2004, 10:04 PM
someone once posted that modified Pe-8's used the 5000KG bomb on a couple of occasions against large garrisons and cache's concentrated in cities

Korolov
02-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Actually, the Pe-8 prototype was a really intuitive design for its time. It had four Mikulin M.105 engines generating 1,100HP, and a special motor in the fuselage that powered superchargers for the engines. At 26,000ft, the prototype was faster than even the Bf-109 and He-112(!). However, they replaced it with the AM-35 engine without the special supercharger motor and system, and performance dwindled as a result.

http://www.mechmodels.com/images/newsig1.jpg

Menthol_moose
02-02-2004, 05:23 AM
Just tried a group of 3X4 PE-8's with that bomb.

OMG... it is like a nuke. The explosions lay waste to anything in the area. Even at 2000 metres the bomb blast will destroy the bomber that dropped it.

That would make a awesome bomb vulch http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/icon_twisted.gif

http://simpsons.metropoliglobal.com/fotogramas/2f13/09.jpg

Eh, mates! What's the good word?

HansKnappstick
02-02-2004, 05:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Korolov:
Actually, the Pe-8 prototype was a really intuitive design for its time. It had four Mikulin M.105 engines generating 1,100HP, and a special motor in the fuselage that powered superchargers for the engines. At 26,000ft, the prototype was faster than even the Bf-109 and He-112(!). However, they replaced it with the AM-35 engine without the special supercharger motor and system, and performance dwindled as a result.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The giant supercharger engine in the middle of the "bomber" aircraft... Did the designers realize that usual bombers should carry bombs rather than that? Or did they intend to make all the enemies of the working class die of laughing from seeing such a huge aircraft carrying a tonne of bombs?

Ankanor
02-02-2004, 05:52 AM
the "supercharger engine" was weaker than the propulsion engines. IIRC, there were problems with the superchargers installed on every engine. btw, in 1939, few fighters could perform well at 9000m, the operating altitude of the russian bomber.

Pe-8 was used as a diplomatic aircraft, to send Molotov to Great Britain in 1942, flying over territories occupied by the Germans.

And pls, cant you learn that it was a 5000kg bomb!!! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/crazy.gif
Kilogram!!! 2.2lb!!!

http://server4.uploadit.org/files2/101203-delphinche.jpg
Some things are worth fighting for.
And most of them wear miniskirts...

Slush69
02-02-2004, 06:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LeadSpitter_:
pe8 was a failure, the underpowered engines couldnt even carry the 5000lber for a short period of time, they wound up using the pe8 as a diplomatic transport I know<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a prewar design, that soldiered on until the late 50's. A failure? Well ...

Any source on your claim, that it couldn't really care the 5000 kg bomb? (Guess you know by now, that it's not lb.)


<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
I dont think the 5000lb was ever used in combat, someone prove me wrong http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The inhabitants of Helsinki in February 1944 would tend to disagree strongly with you ...


<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
shouldnt 10 1000lb bombs have double the blast radius?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Short answer: no. For a longer answer: look into bomb design, mathematics and physics.


<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
also the pe8 being able to shootdown 3 b17s is kinda shady <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on the circumstances. Any plane with a gun or cannon can down a B-17, if the circumstances are right and vice versa.

/slush

http://www.wilcks.dk/crap/Eurotrolls.gif

ednavar
02-02-2004, 06:22 AM
I would really appreciate if someone could post a pucture of a Pe8 dropping the 5000kg monster.
S!

E.

HansKnappstick
02-02-2004, 06:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ankanor:
the "supercharger engine" was weaker than the propulsion engines.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
But it was big enough to occupy the most part of the fuselage. Which was the reason why it was abandoned.
And without it the engines did not perform. Which was why the whole project was, effectively, abandoned.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
And pls, cant you learn that it was a 5000kg bomb!!! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/crazy.gif
Kilogram!!! 2.2lb!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is very sad that some people tend to miss those things up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
http://server4.uploadit.org/files2/101203-delphinche.jpg
Some things are worth fighting for.
And most of them wear miniskirts...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
How can I fight for miniskirts in FB?

MosDef_99th
02-02-2004, 07:07 AM
only thing about dropping 5000 Kg bomb; have dropped it a few timesin the past on airfields in Slammin's server; and while it would annilate any manned ac flyin or grounded for that half of the field, the object, unmanned planes would remain untouched. For the sake of victory requirements this prevented a couple of pe-8 from just about winning the games, but this falls a little short of the "nuke" performance. But it was still fun to wipe out half of the enemy on any given airfield.

owlwatcher
02-02-2004, 07:26 AM
What blows up good on the ground also blows up easy in the air.
Pe-8 with big bomb make nice flash of fire when hit in the air.
Make a quick mission with lots of Pe-8 with large bomb and see how many you can blow up at once.

Korolov
02-02-2004, 08:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HansKnappstick:
The giant supercharger engine in the middle of the _"bomber"_ aircraft... Did the designers realize that usual bombers should carry bombs rather than that? Or did they intend to make all the enemies of the working class die of laughing from seeing such a huge aircraft carrying a tonne of bombs?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simple - external bomb racks.

http://www.mechmodels.com/images/newsig1.jpg

HansKnappstick
02-02-2004, 08:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Korolov:
Simple - external bomb racks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pity they didn't use this kind of storage for the prominent passenger.

Piaggio108
02-03-2004, 03:29 PM
The mushroom clouds are big, I have seen one up close, my plane was in a dive with dead engines, it took a couple of seconds to get through the cloud.

Bruusteri
02-03-2004, 05:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slush69:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LeadSpitter_:

[QUOTE]
I dont think the 5000lb was ever used in combat, someone prove me wrong http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The inhabitants of Helsinki in February 1944 would tend to disagree strongly with you ...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the bombing campaign of Helsinki in Feb 6th, 16th and 26th 1944 was pathetic.
Soviets dropped some 20000 bombs and hit the city area only with 800 bombs (4%). Now that's damn lousy if you cannot even hit a city size area. If I remember correctly something like 150 civilians were killed in total.

To be honest most of the credit goes to the Finnish AA artillery, which made the bombers to drop their bombs too early. Also Ruskies were fooled to bomb the wrong
place by setting fires at a peninsula east of Helsinki which looked little like the one where Helsinki is.

The civilian casualties were also light and not so many building were damaged or destroyed. If they would have managed to drop a 5000kg bomb into Helsinki, it would have destroyed whole blocks. There were no such insidents as far as I know. If you folks talk about 5000lb (c.2500kg), I think even that is too heavy. The bombs were
mostly smaller (&lt;=500kg, maybe some 1000kg, icendiaries).

tttiger
02-03-2004, 05:48 PM
If you do a bit of research you might just find the PE-8 dropped the first Soviet atomic bomb.

Of course, that was Post-War and we don't model Post-War stuff here, do we? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ttt

"I want the one that kills the best with the least amount of risk to me"

-- Chuck Yeager describing "The Best Airplane."

Slush69
02-04-2004, 02:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruusteri:
Actually the bombing campaign of Helsinki in Feb 6th, 16th and 26th 1944 was pathetic.
Soviets dropped some 20000 bombs and hit the city area only with 800 bombs (4%). Now that's damn lousy if you cannot even hit a city size area. If I remember correctly something like 150 civilians were killed in total.

To be honest most of the credit goes to the Finnish AA artillery, which made the bombers to drop their bombs too early. Also Ruskies were fooled to bomb the wrong
place by setting fires at a peninsula east of Helsinki which looked little like the one where Helsinki is.

The civilian casualties were also light and not so many building were damaged or destroyed. If they would have managed to drop a 5000kg bomb into Helsinki, it would have destroyed whole blocks. There were no such insidents as far as I know. If you folks talk about 5000lb (c.2500kg), I think even that is too heavy. The bombs were
mostly smaller (&lt;=500kg, maybe some 1000kg, icendiaries).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't posting about the bombing campaign, and I must admit that I don't see the death of 150 people as a pathetic failure.

Having said that I'm sure you'll be able to find similar bombing results in the Western campaigns.

Anyway, the sources I've read claim that at least 2 5000 kg bombs were dropped on Helsinki the 6th/7th of February 1944. That should be pretty easy for you to find.

cheers/slush

http://www.wilcks.dk/crap/Eurotrolls.gif

DDad
02-04-2004, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tttiger:
If you do a bit of research you might just find the PE-8 dropped the first Soviet atomic bomb.

Of course, that was Post-War and we don't model Post-War stuff here, do we? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ttt

Hmmmmm, upon a little bit of research, I find that the first Russian Atomic air dropped bomb was dropped by a TU-4 (the B 29 copy)on Oct 18 1951

Bruusteri
02-04-2004, 02:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slush69:

I wasn't posting about the bombing campaign, and I must admit that I don't see the death of 150 people as a pathetic failure.

Having said that I'm sure you'll be able to find similar bombing results in the Western campaigns.

Anyway, the sources I've read claim that at least 2 5000 kg bombs were dropped on Helsinki the 6th/7th of February 1944. That should be pretty easy for you to find.

cheers/slush

http://www.wilcks.dk/crap/Eurotrolls.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course 150 killed civilians are exactly 150 too many. But I ment that if you drop 20000 bombs and manage to kill only 150, I think that sucks (truly).

Basicly hitting a area size of Helsinki wouldn't require even using a bomb sight (unless they flew in stratosphere http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) if you know exatly where you are (and you can see the target). But they probably used, if they wanted to hit some precise locations (certain city blocks etc.).

It could well be that they dropped 5000kg bombs (I never claimed so, but what I wrote wasn't clear enough), but I doubt that those 2 (or any number) didn't hit the city area (at least the center). A 5000kg bomb does a good deal of damage and and there were no destroyed blocks (single houses basicly and many of those were repaired). I even remember seeing a photo of a 5000kg(damn big anyway) bomb and some Finns looking at it (so it didn't explode). But generally the planes were smaller than Pe-8 and so were the bombs.

Actually there was an article in Helsingin Sanomat (the newspaper published in Helsinki) last Sunday that said that the city planning department did by far bigger damage to the city in the '60s than what Soviet bombers did.

So it was a pathetic campaign, when you consider the amount of resources used for it. Western allies had some bad bombing experience as well when they started they bombing campaigns. However fire storms in Dresden, Hamburg and other big german cities (and Tokyo in Japan) are from a totally different planet than the bombings of Helsinki (of course they had more planes too).

Of course I'm not happy that they bombed the capital of my home country, but I just wanted to put it in some perspective.


Cheers

[This message was edited by Bruusteri on Wed February 04 2004 at 01:33 PM.]

masamainio
02-08-2004, 09:47 AM
More here:

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/en/hist/

p1ngu666
02-08-2004, 10:31 AM
btw the tallboy/grandslam have a disapointing explosion to look at from the air. just a red dot i think at night.
crews VERY disapointed
then recon pics showed huge holes and massive damage http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
allied bombing was also pretty dire.. sounds like they did it at night so even worse. similer to early war raf efforts

tttiger
02-08-2004, 11:51 AM
DDad, I stand corrected.

Nice to see a few people here do research. I was just going from memory and senility is setting in http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Aloha & S!

ttt

"I want the one that kills the best with the least amount of risk to me"

-- Chuck Yeager describing "The Best Airplane."

CzechTexan
02-08-2004, 04:45 PM
ah the metric system! i can still not get used to it. I'll see 500 meters and think that is pretty low because my mind is set to thinking in terms of feet. Same way with kg/lb. I finally got a piece of paper and listed the conversions for meters = feet and kg=lbs. This helps some and maybe one day i'll have it memorized and won't think in terms of lbs. and feet.

***
80% of all German casualties in WW2 were on the Eastern Front.
I need to make my pic smaller before i can post it.
http://server5.uploadit.org/files2/281203-000_0049.JPG

Friendly_flyer
02-09-2004, 12:20 AM
If you have troubles with the metric system, try thinking in terms of yards. They are pretty close to a meter.

Personally, I have the opposite problem.

Fly friendly!

Petter Bøckman
Norway