PDA

View Full Version : Possible Defective Disc Issue (Xbox 360)

stuffedewok19
11-18-2007, 11:03 AM
I have Assassin's Creed for Xbox 360. I got to Memory Block 4 and completed the Damascus rich district assassination. When I try to go to Acre for the next assassination, I get a disc read error at the loading screen to the city. A few other people are also experiencing this issue. Here and second page. (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/assassinscreed/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-39567304&pid=930278)

What do you think? Is this a manufacturing defect, or just the 360 scratching discs?

stuffedewok19
11-18-2007, 11:03 AM
I have Assassin's Creed for Xbox 360. I got to Memory Block 4 and completed the Damascus rich district assassination. When I try to go to Acre for the next assassination, I get a disc read error at the loading screen to the city. A few other people are also experiencing this issue. Here and second page. (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/assassinscreed/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-39567304&pid=930278)

What do you think? Is this a manufacturing defect, or just the 360 scratching discs?

stuffedewok19
11-18-2007, 12:50 PM
bump, hoping that someone from ubisoft might see this

stuffedewok19
11-18-2007, 03:56 PM
bump

deskpe
11-18-2007, 04:01 PM
DONT BUMP!
we do have a thread about bugs and stuff already

... i got that once so i wiped of the disc and now it works fine, onlky happend once

stuffedewok19
11-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Ah, sorry. I didn't see that thread.

me-gud-u-bad
11-18-2007, 04:07 PM
have you ever thought it might be the console.

i bought tomb raider:legend, and it got to a certain point, and froze. so i tried it on my mates 360, and it worked. so i went back to the store and got another one, brought it home, same thing again, went and got another disk, and exactly the same thing.

sometimes its just the console, not the game.

Ekardt
11-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Its the Xbox 360 harddrives... most of them are effed, but Microsoft wont admit it or address it. Check the official xbox 360 forums, theres no solution yet. 60% of my games randomly get disc read errors with my hard drive in, when I take it out & just use my memory unit, it's fine. Assassin's creed, on the other hand, is in the disc. Even with my memory unit just in I get a freeze half the time when I try to enter Acre. Disc doesnt have a hair on it, either.

stuffedewok19
11-18-2007, 07:39 PM
It's not the hard drive. We'll know tonight after I go to Walmart if it's the console or not.

Ekardt
11-18-2007, 08:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stuffedewok19:
It's not the hard drive. We'll know tonight after I go to Walmart if it's the console or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As I said, check the official xbox 360 forums. Half the harddrives are failures, microsoft is just in denial about it. Any attempt at contacting them about it results in a direct quote from the website thats of absolutely no help. But in the instance of Assassin's Creed, its most definatly the disc.

stuffedewok19
11-18-2007, 09:12 PM
What are you blabbering on about? If AC's problem is the disc, then why are you telling me about hard drive problems? I removed the HD and used a memory card, and it still wouldn't work. Also, I checked xbox.com's forums, and saw no mention of these issues you speak of.

simondawson
11-19-2007, 06:45 AM
I've got this problem too and its driving me mad. Been waiting for Assassin's Creed for months. Have exchanged the disc but still have the same problem, so unless its a bad batch (I'm in the UK and got AC from Morrisons) there must be an issue with either the disc, or the disc and console combo. I've got a 1st generation 360 with the Hitachi DVD drive. Would be interested to see what anyone else with this issue has got?

HMFC_1874
11-19-2007, 08:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by simondawson:
I've got this problem too and its driving me mad. Been waiting for Assassin's Creed for months. Have exchanged the disc but still have the same problem, so unless its a bad batch (I'm in the UK and got AC from Morrisons) there must be an issue with either the disc, or the disc and console combo. I've got a 1st generation 360 with the Hitachi DVD drive. Would be interested to see what anyone else with this issue has got? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im in the UK aswell got it from Woolworths.
I've had 1 disc read error from Assassins Creed, but alot of people including myself have had the same problem with FIFA08 its not the 360 harddrive but the Disc's themselves.

There suppose to be of cheaper quality or something.

bw10009
11-20-2007, 07:16 PM
I have the same problem in the same location.

simondawson
11-21-2007, 09:36 AM
OK, so I've replaced the disc at Morrisons but had the same problem, so I got it refunded and bought it from Game, hoping it would have been a bad batch problem. Still got the same problem so its definitely a problem with the disc structure. Anyone any ideas where we go from here, do I call Ubisoft? I'm hoping they read these forums and may be planning a patch to fix the issue? May be a dumb question but has anyone actually got past memory blocks 3 and 4 (which seem to be the issue)? Help Ubi One Kenobi, you're my only hope.

MiniAssasin
11-21-2007, 09:49 AM
pt your console on a flat surface not a carpet and maybe just maybe any tables or whatnot you have arent flat.

because if its not flat it will come up with various errors

ad53ggz
11-27-2007, 08:13 AM
same problem changed disc 3 times still happening again from UK bought from Asda anyone any idea's yet?

simondawson
11-27-2007, 11:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MiniAssasin:
pt your console on a flat surface not a carpet and maybe just maybe any tables or whatnot you have arent flat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I do appreciate that you are trying to help, but c'mon, we're not daft.

Raide
11-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Hardware problems seem to cause most of the issues with the 360, as many console owners will testify (R.I.P First 360 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif)

Ubisoft are investigating any issues that the community makes us aware of and we will have more information as soon as it is available.

Thank you for your patience. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Raide
UK Forum Manager

NECESARY_EVIL
11-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Just Sent in my 2nd Box for repair so yes (R.I.P. 360 #1 and Good luck 360 # 2)

Believe it or not the 1st time I sent my 1st box in they sent It back Saying it was all fixed but when Plugged it in I got the ever familiar message of Please insert this disc into a 360.... yeah ironic that this message is coming from an xbox 360

simondawson
11-30-2007, 04:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Raide:
Hardware problems seem to cause most of the issues with the 360, as many console owners will testify (R.I.P First 360 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif)

Ubisoft are investigating any issues that the community makes us aware of and we will have more information as soon as it is available.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Raide, do you know if ubisoft are looking specifically into this issue?

Pr0metheus 1962
11-30-2007, 07:41 AM
The single biggest problem causing videogame disc read errors, supposed bad discs, supposed hard drive errors, etc., etc., etc. is the same problem that causes DVD movies to pause, stick and crash and that is...

Dirty laser heads.

So the question arises - how old is your Xbox and how often do you clean its laser head? Have you ever cleaned it?

You should clean any DVD drive's laser head once a month - more if you use it frequently. If you haven't cleaned the laser head and given the disc a good clean too you really shouldn't be here complaining about defective discs.

If people didn't keep returning perfectly good discs because they're too bloody stupid to realise that DVD drives and discs need regular cleaning, maybe manufacturers wouldn't have to recoup those costs and perhaps games would cost a heck of a lot less than they do.

simondawson
11-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Beeryus
Frankly the tone of your last post is not acceptable. We are not "bloody stupid", we have a genuine problem that we have discussed in this and other forums, and attempted to diagnose whether it is indeed the discs or the units.

We would have surmised laser problems IF we had problems with other games OR the problems were intermittent or inconsistent. But had you read the thread properly you would realise this is not the case.

I appreciate (hope?) you may be trying to help, but there is a level of courtesy everyone in this thread deserves and you just went over the line my friend.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-30-2007, 08:25 AM
I think my post is clear. People who don't take care of their DVD player's laser heads and who complain about DVDs sticking, locking up or crashing are bloody stupid because they can't figure out that their DVD system's laser head needs cleaning.

If you don't fall into that category then the accusation of stupidity doesn't apply.

I didn't call anyone here bloody stupid. I hope that everyone here maintains their systems properly and that everyone here (upon finding that their AC DVD stuck, locked up or crashed) immediately gave their DVD disc a proper cleaning and cleaned their Xbox's laser head. The thing is, knowing human nature, I suspect that didn't happen in more than a few cases. But I don't know for a fact that anyone here is stupid, which is why I didn't accuse anyone here of being bloody stupid.

simondawson
11-30-2007, 08:42 AM
OK Beeryus, was responding to your post when i saw it had been edited (toned down?) Appreciate that you are trying to help, point taken that first point of call could be to clean your DVD. Lets leave it now.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-30-2007, 08:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by simondawson:
We would have surmised laser problems IF we had problems with other games OR the problems were intermittent or inconsistent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thing is, laser problems don't manifest themselves as simply as that. Other games may be pressed into DVDs that have a different manufacturing process that makes them less prone to laser head dirt. Also, consistent problems (discs sticking in the exact same place) can also be caused by dirt on the laser head. So you can't just assume, because other DVDs work fine or because the problems are consistent, that it's not a problem of dirty heads.

The thing is, if it's even a small possibility that the heads are dirty you have to examine that possibility. No one with a problem should have posted here before cleaning the Xbox laser head, then examining and cleaning (or, if it had noticeable scratches, fixing) the disc, then testing the game again. If anyone posted here complaining about defective discs before doing those things then they are not part of the solution - they're not helping anyone solve the problem (if there is one) - and they're part of a big problem that's making games more expensive, and that problem is widespread. People often return discs over and over - discs that have NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. The people who return the discs just assume it was the disc without bothering to check other possibilities. Heck, I've done it myself on occasion: I did it with a movie DVD only to find that, yup, it was a dirty laser head. This costs the industry money and that cost is relayed to the consumer with higher game prices or a shoddier product because of staff cutbacks or reduced budgets. My experience of being bloody stupid caused me to realise that it's important to make sure you know what the real problem is before fixing the blame.

Disc read errors are most commonly caused by dirty laser heads. The reason it's such a common problem is that people don't clean their laser heads frequently enough. Sometimes the dirt gets so bad, if a laser head has been ignored for months or years, that a home cleaning won't fix the problem.

I'm not saying that there's not a problem with the AC game disc. There may be. But it's important to make sure there's a real problem. The thing I've found more than anything else is that in cases like this the internet is full of people crying wolf - not due to malice, but due to incompetence. I'm tired of seeing posts and threads from people who don't have the patience to investigate their problem properly before they start throwing accusations around.

The thing that makes me suspicious in terms of this thread is that no one - not one person with the problem - wrote that they cleaned their laser head. Since it's the single biggest problem with DVDs, CDs, game discs and anything else that uses a laser reader, I would have thought that someone would have at least mentioned that they'd done the necessary maintenance.

Four game discs have been returned by people in this thread - that's $240 worth of games. Can those who returned the games honestly say they investigated the problem fully - that they cleaned the media and the laser before returning the games? Can we really be sure that the discs are indeed faulty? If not, that's a lot of money that Ubisoft needs to recoup on their next game, and we know that those four discs aren't the only ones being returned. The thing is, the next Ubisoft game isn't going to be any more expensive, but due to disc returns and lost profits on this game the costs of the next game will be cut in terms of development time, so the next game will be that much suckier. If it's a real problem with the disc, so be it - Ubisoft deserves to eat that cost. But if it's not, who do I blame for the next Ubisoft game I buy being a shoddily designed bore-fest?

kidnature22
12-01-2007, 03:38 PM
same problem, trying to go into acre. this is obviously a defective disc issue. i can see a scratch on a disc that i put straight into my 360 from the box. ubisoft should replace these. i may never buy a ubi game again if something isn't done.

Puckfist13
12-02-2007, 11:41 AM
I just registered to say that I'm having the same issue, in the same spot. Small circular scratches appeared when it was being used on my friend's xbox, so we exchanged his game and tried it on my xbox only to find the same little scratches. Both disks couldn't load Acre specifically, but handled the rest of the game alright.

BTOG46
12-02-2007, 11:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Puckfist13:
I just registered to say that I'm having the same issue, in the same spot. Small circular scratches appeared when it was being used on my friend's xbox, so we exchanged his game and tried it on my xbox only to find the same little scratches. Both disks couldn't load Acre specifically, but handled the rest of the game alright. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Unless the disc is much thicker than normal, if it was ok before you put it in the drive, and scratched when you took it out, it sounds more like the drive's fault than the game disc.

sarcasm83
12-27-2007, 02:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beeryus:
I think my post is clear. People who don't take care of their DVD player's laser heads and who complain about DVDs sticking, locking up or crashing are bloody stupid because they can't figure out that their DVD system's laser head needs cleaning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, you're not being very helpful or informative here. You've said the same exact thing multiple times and your last post in itself, keeps repeating the same thing.

PLEASE, do tell how to clean the xbox 360 laser head without breaking the varrantyseal. Since I, personally, don't even know. And no, I'm not sending my xbox 360 to GERMANY every month to get it cleaned. So, is there actually a way for a regular joe like me, to clean it? Coz if there's not, you're just making things worse trying to make people feel guilty about a problem they actually DID NOT CREATE and a solution, NO ONE IS INFORMED IN THE XBOX 360 MANUAL, nor in the manuals of any xbox 360 game. So no, a normal xbox 360 user does not have to know, what you just adviced.

And I also think that you kinda stepped over a line. It's pretty clear probably to everyone that the error could be because of the drive, the laser, or the game. And it's not impossible to think it's the game, since ALL THE OTHER GAMES WORK. I had 24 games when this happened. 1 gets a disc read error, 23 games do not. And yes, I play them in a random order. So it OBVIOUSLY seems like it's the disc. BUT this conversation is here to determine if it IS the disc. No one is 100% sure and assuming it is the disc, since they seek help from a forum. AND a good chance is, it's not a dirty laserhead, since everyone is saying, the only game doing this, is AC.

So please, don't try to attack people of them being misinformed, while they're trying to inform themselves.

And please, do tell how to clean the laser - I haven't cleaned it EVER, since it would be "BLOODY STUPID" for me to tamper with such a fragile piece of technology without any proper advice or knowledge how to perform such a task.

tas22
12-30-2007, 02:08 AM
hi there i in no way defending beeryus. and i myself do not blame the console itself with this debarkle, I do have glitches in my game but so far no deffects. sarcasm83 I dont know the country of origin you are from but here in australia we do have a games cleaner and it cleans all consoles it even has one cleaner that comes complimentary (8cm disc cleaner.) for the old retired game cube the cleaners brand is Keston Optical Lens Cleaner. I do know where your coming from sarcasm83 for it took me a long time to find a games cleaner and now i finally have one i will never let it go. So i hope this helps a little, and is so much cheeper then sending it to germany. lol ps beeryus I think you need to relax a little and get a hug from your mom. lol, this is a civil sight so pls be civil and not arrogant we all have different issues with games and it is better to say something informative then berate the people on this sight, and i agree with sarcasm 83 people are not stupid as you so put it, but just miss informed and the more we help each other the easier it is for us to understand the problems. pps i do also believe this disc cleaner may or may not help? i can just post this out there so you do know there is a cleaner for games consoles and sarcasm83 i hope you do find it. happy new yr and happy gaming guys.