PDA

View Full Version : Diesel or Nuke?

Rood-Zwart
07-28-2007, 01:02 AM
In your opinion, what kind of sub would you prefer? My choice would be diesel. Maybe you need to schnorkel once in a while, but nuclear a nuclear reactor needs pumps. Pumps = noise = death. What do you guys think of the pro's/con's of each type?

Scape_G
07-28-2007, 01:35 AM
212 ftw

Karl_Donitz_Jr
07-28-2007, 06:38 AM
Astute Class. Quitest in the world http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

WilhelmSchulz.
07-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Hydrogen fule cell. Type 212 anyone? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

geoffwessex
07-28-2007, 03:15 PM
I clicked on "other" because I think the most effective submarines in coastal waters (and that's where future enemies of the "free world" would operate) are the Swedish "****um" class boats, with their "Stirling Air-Independent Propulsion" system. They're diesel-powered, but they can operate on their batteries for weeks at a time, rather than days - plenty of time to enter an operational area, carry out their mission over several days if necessary, and then depart the area.

If the Canadians had decided to get their Victoria-class boats converted to AIP while they were waiting for them, they'd be even happier with them than they are now.

In my RN time I served on a Polaris boat (SSBN), a Fleet boat (SSN), and a diesel-electric boat (SSK). All, in the 1970s, had their pros and cons.

MarkSynthesis
07-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Military considerations aside (har!), I think you'd be hard-pressed to beat the comfort of the Akula-class. Swimming pool and a sauna? Sign me up!

So, yeah, nuclear for me. I promise I won't acquire a Scottish accent and try to defect, thereby recklessly endangering my whole crew.

PhantomKira
07-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Oh man! Well, I chose other, ie the Type 212. I assumed you ment, "Which boat would you want to be in if you had to go to war?" Which translates to "The quitest one, with the most advanced technology".

Sure diesels are quiet on batteries, and the enemy can't hear you. What good is that if they're going to spot you anyway when you have to come up to recharge the batteries, and run your very noisy diesels?

Nukes, of course, have the moderately loud coolant pumps, as already stated. Still, rather that than the diesel. At least they can stay down below the thermal layer and stay hidden almost indefinitely.

Of course, any modern conflict is probably going to be in the litoral waters [sp?], where the thermal layer isn't likely to do you much good. Therefore, go with as quiet as possible, ie, the Type 212.

Explanation complete. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

gsc67
07-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Hydro-Propulsion...The channeling of water through ducts from the front of the boat... towards the back. Circling around from hi to low to counter weave the force of gravity. In essance to make it as a siphon. Im still trying to perfect it ! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Goosen83
07-29-2007, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by MarkSynthesis:
Military considerations aside (har!), I think you'd be hard-pressed to beat the comfort of the Akula-class. Swimming pool and a sauna? Sign me up!

So, yeah, nuclear for me. I promise I won't acquire a Scottish accent and try to defect, thereby recklessly endangering my whole crew.

Akula if you're russian but Typhoon is the nato designation ;-)

WilhelmSchulz.
07-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by PhantomKira:
Sure diesels are quiet on batteries, and the enemy can't hear you. What good is that if they're going to spot you anyway when you have to come up to recharge the batteries, and run your very noisy diesels?

Nukes, of course, have the moderately loud coolant pumps, as already stated. Still, rather that than the diesel. At least they can stay down below the thermal layer and stay hidden almost indefinitely.

Of course, any modern conflict is probably going to be in the litoral waters [sp?], where the thermal layer isn't likely to do you much good. Therefore, go with as quiet as possible, ie, the Type 212.

Well yes Diesels are good in litorial warter due to there small size but they are verry noisey when snokling. Nukes on the other hand can be made verry quite. By running slow (1-3kts) the reactor can run of convetion, elimanating the need for pumps. And also the only diesels aviable for export are the German Type 219, Russian Kilo, and Chinise Ming class. The latter 2 having HORIBLE passive sonar suits(I dont know how the 219's sonar is). So if you want a diesel done right have it done your self.

PhantomKira
07-30-2007, 05:13 AM
Well, at least the 219 is German. It can't be that bad. They knew what they were doing with the XXI, I can't imagine they've forgotten it all.

So one in three?

Don't know that I'd even want to be in the same harbor with a sub made in China or Russia. I'm rather afraid the reactor might decide to melt down, or if it's a diesel, that the batteries would decide to take the proverbial trip to China on me. No thanks!

wh1skea
07-30-2007, 06:20 AM
I prefer a diesel, mainly cause having to surface brings more action. As for nukes needing pumps, and those pumps causing noise, it took Nautilus about 20 years for her pumps to become noisy enough for them to become a problem....And her pumps were built in the 50's.

MarkSynthesis
07-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Goosen83:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MarkSynthesis:

Akula if you're russian but Typhoon is the nato designation ;-) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Problem is, Akula is also used by NATO--and I've never been too fond of NATO designations for non-NATO aircraft or ships.

The point is, saunas! Pools! And yes, I'm sure there is a certain risk of exposure, but I'll live with it as long as I can. No one said being a submariner was safe.