PDA

View Full Version : custom skins in offline campaigns

angelherrera
12-05-2004, 03:57 PM
Hello all, is any way to select custom skins for entire squadrons in offline campaigns ,i would like use a skins of legion azul espa˝ola for all staffell in the luftwaffe campaigns of moscow, thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WulfJG26
12-05-2004, 04:18 PM
Hi,

From what I have gathered from my attempts to use custom skins in the offline campaigns, all the campaigns do is use the Single Player missions for the selected aircraft and combine them into the campaign.

Now what I have done is looked at the single player missions and the one that I have messed around with is the D3A1 10_PHW1.

Here is a sample of the default mission file:

[IJN_C_Akagi_FS10]
Planes 3
OnlyAI 1
Skill0 3
Skill1 2
Skill2 3
Skill3 3
Class air.A6M2_21
Fuel 100
weapons 1xdt

Using the FMB and manually modifying the plane skins, I then saved it to 10_PHW1a. This way I still have the original file.

Now the same section of the code looks like this:
[IJN_C_Akagi_FS10]
Planes 3
OnlyAI 1
Skill0 3
Skill1 2
Skill2 3
Skill3 3
skin0 $Akagi_Shindo.bmp
skin1 A6M2 m21 CJ Akagi.bmp
skin2 Akagi.bmp
numberOn0 0
numberOn1 0
numberOn2 0
Class air.A6M2
Fuel 100
weapons 1xdt

Now, the key part is the text in bold. That is the code to change the default skins. Those are the file names of skins that I have downloaded from IL2Skins, and renamed so that I could more easily identify the carrier, and they reside in the appropriate plane folder in the Paint Schemes\Skins\ folder.

Knowing this, I can now change the default skins much quicker for the missions, I do not need to bring up the FMB anymore.

Hope this helps.

angelherrera
12-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Ok thanks , i will try http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Rebel_Yell_21
12-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Try DCG (http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php), you'll be able to edit skins, pilot names, skill, flight sizes, and about anything you can think of, very easily. You'll never look back.

WulfJG26
12-05-2004, 05:04 PM
I have not had a chance to try this out yet, but it seems that it would be the tool to use.

I just happen to like some of the skins that are posted on IL2Skins and would rather use those.

Question, does the DCG use the skins from the game or does it have their own default skins? Can you point it to a skin that you have already placed in the Skins folder?

ZG77_Lignite
12-05-2004, 06:45 PM
In the DGEN directory, open the .DB file that corresponds to the campaign you will be flying (for example, Wake.DB or Stalingrad.DB), open it with notepad or another text editor. Scroll down to the section that lists the aircraft used in the campaign, find your aircraft, place the name of the skin (which must exist in the correct skins folder) after it, use two seperate skins for summer and winter (in that order). Here is the exmple:

15 Bf109_G6 SummerSkin.bmp WinterSkin.bmp
19 FW190_A5 WalterNowotny.bmp NowotnyWinter.bmp
10 F4F_4 HammeredWildcat.bmp

Rebel_Yell_21
12-05-2004, 10:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WulfJG26:
I have not had a chance to try this out yet, but it seems that it would be the tool to use.

I just happen to like some of the skins that are posted on IL2Skins and would rather use those.

Question, does the DCG use the skins from the game or does it have their own default skins? Can you point it to a skin that you have already placed in the Skins folder? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the very simple editor, you can choose any skin you have downloaded for the aircraft your squadron is using and put it into use. You may still have a different skin for yourself, and any other pilots you want to be different. DCG does not have any inherent skins, just the games default and whatever you have downloaded.

panthercules
12-06-2004, 12:11 PM
well, this seemed easy enough but obviously I must have dome something wrong. I've been flying a Finnish Fighter campaign just testing out the new beta patch 3.02bm (no idea why it was available/on the list for my German pilot along with the BF-110 one I put on there, but I thought I'd try it and it's actually been a hoot flying the JA8 for the first time).

Anyway - I downloaded some fine looking Finnish JA8 skins (thanks for the great work Capt. Haddock), and wanted my whole flight/squadron to use them, so i tried to follow the instructions above but there is no .db file for my specific campaign in my Dgen folder (and none of the .db files in the Dgen folder have any references to the JA8 in them, at least according to Windows' search function - I manually looked in the only finland-related .db file and searched in the others but nothing came up).

I tried putting the skin file names in the conffi.ini file in my Dgen folder (which did have my pilot name in it and a reference to the JA8, but it didn't work and in the mission i tried it in my JA8 refused to respond to rudder control, spun slowly to the left and simply nosed over on takeoff twice).

What gives?

ZG77_Lignite
12-06-2004, 12:29 PM
I'm going off of memory here, but I believe the Finnish campaign uses the Leningrad**.DB files (Leningrad41.DB). I also think (again, memory fails) that the J8a's airplane designation (in the .DB files) is Gladiator2. I've just been looking at these particular files a few days ago, but that doesn't seem to help the old brain to remember.

panthercules
12-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Pretty good memory - before I saw your response I had seen in my game test that it said leningrad on my campaing briefing screens, so i tried altering the .db file for that leningrad 41 campaign (using the gladiator 2 line since there was no JA8 line) - still didn't work http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif - I'm thinking now that maybe I have to put the skins in the gladiator 2 folder rather than the JA8 one, so I'm gonna try that next

panthercules
12-06-2004, 01:25 PM
nope - must have been something else - tried copying the skins into both gladiator 1 and 2 folders, but the new skins are still not showing up on anybody's plane but my own - even deleted that campaign and started another Finnish fighter campaign in case it would only take effect for new campaigns, but again, no luck

I'm stumped - any more ideas? (besides use a third party utility - trying to keep this install stripped down to test the new beta patch just by itself)

DuxCorvan
12-06-2004, 01:44 PM
├┬üngel, se pueden cambiar las texturas en algunos archivos de la carpeta DGEN, pero es una labor ardua y tediosa.

Mejor usa DCG de Lowengrin. Se puede configurar para sustituir al DGEN en la mayor parte de las campa˝as, y las misiones son por lo general m├ís ajustadas y est├ín mejor dise˝adas. Adem├ís permite editar los escuadrones de toda la campa˝a, tanto amigos como enemigos, y usar diferentes texturas para los escuadrones, e incluso para cada avi├┬│n individualmente.

Requiere algo de práctica, y leer bien las instrucciones, pero merece la pena.

ÔíBuenas noches!

angelherrera
12-06-2004, 04:23 PM
Thanks all for responses, en especial a duxcorvan por responder en espa˝ol , probare con DCG de lowengrin, un saludo desde VENEZUELA