PDA

View Full Version : recent legal suspicions

Eraser_tr
12-17-2004, 11:02 AM
I asked around my university people who are more knowledgable about corporate law and copyrights.

All 1C:Maddox has to do in order to include american a/c under question is acknowledge the copyright in the game. And that is if the copyright is still valid since they do expire after a time. I doubt anything from back in world war 2 is still valid.

Just acknowledge the greedy fatcats copyrights and the problem is solved.

Airmail109
12-17-2004, 11:13 AM
phewwwwww hope your right an the big companies are not threatening ubi, or ubi a are pussies and back out of everything. C'mon Ubi your french you should be fighting them..........viva la resistance lol!!!!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

mortoma
12-17-2004, 11:21 AM
It's not a matter of copyrights, it's registered trademarks. They two are different matters, but similar. In order for Maddox to have violated a copyright, they would have to manufacture real aircraft and sell or attempt to sell them. Or parts of said aircraft that were copyrighted by the company, the original company or whichever entity that has aquired rights/patents of said aircraft or parts. For trademark violation, all they have to do is use any of various trademarked names without permission. This is what has happened. Permission may or may not require monetary compensation, such as royalties.

Airmail109
12-17-2004, 11:23 AM
and my post didnt make any sense at all.....well thats what happens when your in a fit of rage!

XyZspineZyX
12-17-2004, 11:24 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Hello,

the last message is right, it is money that counts.

Sensei.

Eraser_tr
12-17-2004, 01:05 PM
I believe the same conditions would apply, but I'll ask around again.

VW-IceFire
12-17-2004, 01:21 PM
I don't think you can trademark a plane. I could be wrong on this, my knowledge of IP laws is still developing.

Interesting situation. I think its all upto the interpretation of the law rather than the law itself. I think this is a new issue thats surfaced in the last few years.

fordfan25
12-17-2004, 01:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aimail101:
phewwwwww hope your right an the big companies are not threatening ubi, or ubi a are pussies and back out of everything. C'mon Ubi your french you should be fighting them..........viva la resistance lol!!!!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

....french........o man we done for lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

mortoma
12-17-2004, 06:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I don't think you can trademark a plane. I could be wrong on this, my knowledge of IP laws is still developing.

Interesting situation. I think its all upto the interpretation of the law rather than the law itself. I think this is a new issue thats surfaced in the last few years. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, you can't trademark a plane, but you can trademark it's name and people have to ask permission to use it.
And by the way, this is nothing new!!! Back in the late nineties there was a civilian sim that came out to compete with Microsuck, it was called 'Fly!', made by a company called Terminal Reality. The eventually had to give weird names to Raytheon/Beech and Cessna aircraft. They called the Cessna Skyhawk some strange name but I forget what it was. At least by the time Fly! II came out anyway. I still have that sim somewhere collecting dust.

mortoma
12-17-2004, 11:15 PM
Oh yeah, regarding my previous post, they ended up calling the Cessna Skyhawk the 'Flyhawk'. And dropped the Cessna of course. Still trying to remember others.

Latico
12-18-2004, 12:33 AM
What ever the case is, it would have been much cheaper to have taken care of it beforehand than it will after the fact. I'm reffering to the licensing fees, not the additional legal expense that will be heaped on top now.

wintergoose
12-18-2004, 01:32 AM
The whole reason with the IL2 sim for me is that it are historical corect. That is why I am playing it still after ower two years.
I spessialy now after the PF.
To rename the plans wont be the same for me.
My father was in the war both in the pacifc and in Europe and this is a way for me to see what he had to go through.
It is a game for us, but it was not a game for them,

Copperhead310th
12-18-2004, 01:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mortoma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

Interesting situation. I think its all upto the interpretation of the law rather than the law itself. I think this is a new issue thats surfaced in the last few years. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, you can't trademark a plane, but you can trademark it's name and people have to ask permission to use it.
And by the way, this is nothing new!!! Back in the late nineties there was a civilian sim that came out to compete with Microsuck, it was called 'Fly!', made by a company called Terminal Reality. The eventually had to give weird names to Raytheon/Beech and Cessna aircraft. They called the Cessna Skyhawk some strange name but I forget what it was. At least by the time Fly! II came out anyway. I still have that sim somewhere collecting dust. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you're right..HOWEVER....they cannot Trademark the USAAF/US Miltary DESIGNATION for that aircraft. While leagaly Pleg could refer to the Republic P-47N Thunderbolt ans just the USAAF P-47N and still be out side of the tradmarks infrengment. and yes wed can call it a USAAF P-47N because the US Gov. /Military funded the entire R&D, Tool up and Production which was PAID FOR BY USE TAX $ thus taking the trademark rights away from the Original manufacture and placing it under the relm of Public property.
While they can most certainly Trademark the Republic Thunderbolt. they cannot trademark the P-47 military designation.

Latico
12-18-2004, 02:06 AM
I just rechecked the box CFS2 came in and theer is NO credit given to Aircraft Manufacturers in regard to copyright or trademarks. Nore is there any credit given within the game.

Now, both CFS2 and the IL2 sims provide information on all the aircraft including manufacturers. But NO recognition of copyright or trademarks.

so that can't be it.

OK I just noticed that on the CFS2 box they list the 4 flyable US aircraft by their designations, but not Manufacturer. PF box DOES list the planes by manufacturer.

Hmmm

Aaron_GT
12-18-2004, 02:20 AM
"No, you can't trademark a plane, but you can trademark it's name and people have to ask permission to use it."

You can trademark a distinctive visual representation which may be of a product itself. Viz. Fender guitar headstock designs, coke bottles, some car body designs, etc. I don't know whether it could be extended to cover a whole plane design, i.e. I am not sure if they would be considered sufficiently distinctive apart from some of those wacky Luft 46 paper designs that might have had a hard time actually flying :-)

DuxCorvan
12-18-2004, 03:29 AM
Sad the fate of these companies, from growing eagles to feeding crows in just six decades... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Ruy Horta
12-18-2004, 03:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Latico:
OK I just noticed that on the CFS2 box they list the 4 flyable US aircraft by their designations, but not Manufacturer. PF box DOES list the planes by manufacturer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been writing similar statements for the last couple of weeks (oops).

At stake is the proprietary name, not the modeling itself. Call the model "F4F-3a" ad/or "Wildcat" and you are free to do what you like, use the factory name "Grumman" and they are basically right. This is a game and a commercial product. You don't yell when they AFL or NHL demands a licence of their name, do you?

Ubi & Co are not in it for the sake of mankind, so its money vs money, not the people vs corporate America.

Again...drop the factory names and use US government designations.

F4U-4 Corsair anyone?