PDA

View Full Version : Spin, spin, spin you bugger spin!

GazzaMataz
05-19-2004, 10:32 AM
I think I have managed to get out of a spin at last! I used to just point the rudder in the opposite way to the spin and see what happend as per the manual. This usually ended up with me bailing out or crashing.

Now in the manaual it says if you get a stall don't touch the joystick and it will sort itself out - this works. But spins... forget the rudder.

Anyway, the other day I was flying a FW190s A9-D9 and found myself going into spins. I remember reading somewhere (CFS manual I think)that you should push the stick into the dive, so I thought try it for a spin even though it doesn't say this in the manaual.

Sure enough (provided you have enough altitude) when I went into a spin I turned the rudder in the opposite direction to the spin and pushed the stick as far forward as it would go. After a little while I regained control of the plane an was as happy as Larry.

Is this technique **** or am I doing the right thing, only it seems to work for me :)

Tickety boo...
Gazzamataz
http://www.gazzamataz.com

GazzaMataz
05-19-2004, 10:32 AM
I think I have managed to get out of a spin at last! I used to just point the rudder in the opposite way to the spin and see what happend as per the manual. This usually ended up with me bailing out or crashing.

Now in the manaual it says if you get a stall don't touch the joystick and it will sort itself out - this works. But spins... forget the rudder.

Anyway, the other day I was flying a FW190s A9-D9 and found myself going into spins. I remember reading somewhere (CFS manual I think)that you should push the stick into the dive, so I thought try it for a spin even though it doesn't say this in the manaual.

Sure enough (provided you have enough altitude) when I went into a spin I turned the rudder in the opposite direction to the spin and pushed the stick as far forward as it would go. After a little while I regained control of the plane an was as happy as Larry.

Is this technique **** or am I doing the right thing, only it seems to work for me :)

Tickety boo...
Gazzamataz
http://www.gazzamataz.com

TD_Klondike
05-19-2004, 10:36 AM
As far as I know, the only thing that will get you out of a spin is rudder. That is required to counteract the turning. Some planes are stable enough that the vertical stabilizer will do it on its own, while others require rudder input to be effective. Either way, you need airflow going over your tail surfaces to make these things effective, and the only way to accomplish that is by pushing the nose forward and gaining speed, thereby breaking the stall.

lindyman
05-19-2004, 11:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TD_Klondike:
As far as I know, the only thing that will get you out of a spin is rudder.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite so.

The thing that keeps the autorotation of the spin, is that the inner wing is stalled while the outer wing flies. The stalled wing has more drag.

Now, this differs a lot between planes, or so I am told, but aileron into the direction of the spin will effectively reduce the AoA of the stalled wing, and might help breaking it out of the stall. It will also increase drag in the flying wing, which will counter the autorotation (adverse yaw working to your advantage, for a change.)

Regardless, rudder in opposite direction is an absolute necessity.

Elevator down may help, but it's not certain. Elevetor up, however, is pretty much guaranteed to make it worse.
_
/Bjorn.

Snuffy_Hadden
05-19-2004, 11:04 AM
Of course cutting back on the throttle helps a hell of a lot too. No sense in draggin yer but around in a stall with the engine revin

lil_labbit
05-19-2004, 11:05 AM
Well to recover from a flat spin...

Throttle to 0%
Full stick forward
Opposite rudder to spin
Deploy flaps and/or gear if need be

Hold it there till the plane recovers.

Flaps/Gear up, throttle up, and gently pull the plane up...

Every plane is different concerning stall though...

http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/lilseesya.jpg
Night is better than Day

Urist
05-19-2004, 11:07 AM
I am not an actual pilot... But during ground school proper spin recovery was to apply opposite rudder and press forward on the yoke.

Works perfectly in IL2 and is exactly what you describe doing. Pulling out of everything but a flat spin is possible in this game with enough altitude using this method. Even flat spins can be recovered from, but are particularily nasty.

Another ground school tip: Do NOT try and roll the aircraft, it will only make it worse.

edit: also cut the throttle, only apply it after exiting the spin.

I dunno how much of a difference any of this makes in the game, but its worked for me.