PDA

View Full Version : Which spitfire?

AllorNothing117
11-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Whch one should I start flying? I'd like to fly at low altitude mostly, so the LF varients right? Which one? The later ones are generaly better right?

AllorNothing117
11-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Whch one should I start flying? I'd like to fly at low altitude mostly, so the LF varients right? Which one? The later ones are generaly better right?

SlickStick
11-11-2008, 10:03 AM
All of them, I think. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Depends on the year of competition, but for me, I prefer the Mk. VIII CW against all LW planes (and against all Spitfires except the +25lbs. when it becomes a climbing contest), occasionally going for the +25lbs. when I need to get up high quickly against the strict B and Z crowd.

The Vc(4) is a 4 cannon wonder. Although, painfully slow at times, she turns incredibily and those 4-20mms shred anything they hit. You might squeeze out a little tighter turn with the Vc(2), but I like having 4 cannons.

In 1941 and 1942 (less the 109-G2), I'll fly the Vc(4) exclusively. The Vb is good, too, but short ammo supply makes you have to hang on a six a little too long for my tastes, to make the ammo as effective as possible.

To my knowledge, the IXc, IXe, and VIII (both regular wing and CW version) are all modeled with a Merlin 66 (LF), as the Merlin 63 (F) is not modelled for these in-game. With the +25lbs. being a IXc with a Merlin 66 @ +25lbs. boost. And the IXe HF has the Merlin 70, a better high altitude performer.

This is a great site to learn about the performance of all Spitfires:

http://www.fourthfightergroup.com/eagles/spittest.html

VW-IceFire
11-11-2008, 10:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AllorNothing117:
Whch one should I start flying? I'd like to fly at low altitude mostly, so the LF varients right? Which one? The later ones are generaly better right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The Mark IX and Mark VIII are almost identical marks but used in different theaters. These are more powerful, faster, better climbing, but not as nice in terms of handling as compared to the Mark V.

As for the LF variations...the Spitfires in game are partially mislabeled. All of the Mark IX models are considered "LF" (or low fighter) with the exception of the HF model (high fighter).

This is because all of the Mark IX's (and the VIII actually) use the Merlin 66 engine which was the most common engine in the Spitfire model - reason being that its speed at different altitudes better matched the FW190 at all altitudes instead of having some altitudes where the 190 was faster and some where it was slower.

So basically fly all of them except the HF if you're interested in low level operations. If its a Mark V then the LF is useful but don't go above 3000 or 4000 meters as performance drops drastically. If its the IX you're probably already flying the LF model.

You'll see lots of people strangely enough flying the HF IX at low altitude. Why I'm not really sure....intentionally crippling themselves of performance.