PDA

View Full Version : Finally Shot Down A Bomber....The Right Way

Breeze147
12-17-2004, 06:09 AM
After months of stubbornly coming up on the six of bombers and getting my butt handed to me by the William Tell tail gunners, I decided to take my time and work for a shot.

I was flying a Hurricane vs. an HE-111 in Extreme_One's BoverB. I manueuvered until I was about a 1000m above and to the right of the 111. I got slightly ahead of him and went into a turning left shallow dive, trying to point my nose more or less at the trailing edge of his left wing. A split second or so before my gunsight passed over his right engine, I let loose a burst. The engine burst into flame. I pulled up sharply to narrowly avoid the collision. "Good Shot, Three!" I hear over the radio. I hit CTRL-F2 and delight in watching Jerry hit the silk and the Heinkel go down in flames. Such satisfaction in finally doing something the right way!

Chuck_Older
12-17-2004, 09:02 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

fabianfred
12-17-2004, 10:13 AM
coming in from their twelve O'clock high and smashing the perspex front and crew is also a sphincter tightener, but very effective, as long as you push under them in time and get away too...
it's all too easy to misjudge it and commit insecticide... just like the flies on your windscreen do... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TC_Stele
12-17-2004, 12:30 PM
Har har. Those He-111s. I've seen people try that with me in my B-25 but thank goodness theres a top turret in it.

Breeze147
12-17-2004, 04:05 PM
Gwen Stefani noseart! Cool!

Aaron_GT
12-17-2004, 06:23 PM
"coming in from their twelve O'clock high and smashing the perspex front and crew is also a sphincter tightener, but very effective, as long as you push under them in time and get away too..."

Coming in from a high 2 or 10 and firing ahead of the cockpit it also effective.

Also effective is coming in high from 5 or 7 and then pulling up, hitting the wing root, and coming back up. If you go fast enough the gunners can't track you and there must be a fuel tank in the wing root as the thing blows up very often. It's a technique I found by accident with the Mig-3 in IL2 with 2 12.7mm guns. The hard part is not flying into the He-111 in the process!

F0_Dark_P
12-17-2004, 07:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Breeze147:
After months of stubbornly coming up on the six of bombers and getting my butt handed to me by the William Tell tail gunners, I decided to take my time and work for a shot.

I was flying a Hurricane vs. an HE-111 in Extreme_One's BoverB. I manueuvered until I was about a 1000m above and to the right of the 111. I got slightly ahead of him and went into a turning left shallow dive, trying to point my nose more or less at the trailing edge of his left wing. A split second or so before my gunsight passed over his right engine, I let loose a burst. The engine burst into flame. I pulled up sharply to narrowly avoid the collision. "Good Shot, Three!" I hear over the radio. I hit CTRL-F2 and delight in watching Jerry hit the silk and the Heinkel go down in flames. Such satisfaction in finally doing something the right way! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>CTRL-F2? dont you fly full real??.., no just kiddinghttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif nice when you get them on the first pass like that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Platypus_1.JaVA
12-18-2004, 04:38 AM
Every one seems to think that the Hurricane can't kill anything with their .303 peashooters. It's good to hear otherwise. I also find it difficult to kill anything with it but, convergence is really a big issue here I think. What was your convergence?

Breeze147
12-18-2004, 09:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Platypus_1.JaVA:
Every one seems to think that the Hurricane can't kill anything with their .303 peashooters. It's good to hear otherwise. I also find it difficult to kill anything with it but, convergence is really a big issue here I think. What was your convergence? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have my guns set at 250 meters.

mortoma
12-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Yea, that's a good way to do it. If I have a fast plane, I like to go up along the side of bombers about 100 meters away and maybe go up ahead some and do slicing attacks. I end up on the other side of the bomber and then I do the same thing on tha side. You only get snapshots that way but if your timing is good you can devastate a bomber and they can't hit you very well. You can do this style vertically too and that works well for very fast aircraft like the 163 Komet!

mortoma
12-18-2004, 10:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Platypus_1.JaVA:
Every one seems to think that the Hurricane can't kill anything with their .303 peashooters. It's good to hear otherwise. I also find it difficult to kill anything with it but, convergence is really a big issue here I think. What was your convergence? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have never had much trouble killing bombers with the .303 at all. But if you want a challenge, try to down a bomber in a PZL.11 ( P11-C ) I had a long campaign flying one as a Rumanian and I got 15 or 20 fighters with it before upgrading but only got one bomber. And I had to empty everything into it to kill it. And even then it was one of those deals where it went down slowly, like about 10 minutes after I landed back at my base.

Mashie_Nibblick
12-18-2004, 12:33 PM
I found that playing Extreme One's BOB and subsequent Finnish Hurri campaigns (I do love my Hurribirds) has really gone a long way to improving my marksmanship. With rifle-calibre attacks on bombers, you really need to make every burst count, so I find myself now taking the time to set up the good shots and on the whole being much more careful with my shooting.

XyZspineZyX
12-19-2004, 12:35 AM
I've read a lot of accounts of Wildcats and Hellcats and stuff breezing through a formation of Betties and downing 2 or 3 per engagement.

But in the game those babies chew me to pieces pretty reliably with their 20mm tail guns (unless I'm in a plane with one of those nuclear powered 30mm or 37mm cannon).

The only way I can take them on with reasonable success is to get like 1.5 km directly above them and dive... It takes some practice because you need a huge lead on them just about completely behind the nose of the plane. But with this approach, there's a good chance of getting blacksmoke or flame on one pass. It takes me an average of 2 passes really per bomber.

This takes a lot of time to set up initially and planes that don't have a lot of climbing power or zoom ability will take a lot of time to reset after each dive. Good BnZ planes though can do repeated dives almost just like pulling loops.

Extreme_One
12-19-2004, 06:05 AM
There's a real sense of satisafaction downing a heavy with the Hurri's peashooter isn't there? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

buz13
12-19-2004, 06:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fabianfred:
coming in from their twelve O'clock high and smashing the perspex front and crew is also a sphincter tightener, but very effective, as long as you push under them in time and get away too...
it's all too easy to misjudge it and commit insecticide... just like the flies on your windscreen do... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's Just plane looney....

Vipez-
12-19-2004, 06:47 AM
its even more devastating, if you use smaller convergence.. i find 250 m way too much.. try 100-150 m and fire at that range.. devastating, even for heinkels...

WH_Phist
12-19-2004, 08:50 AM
The wing root suffers the most stress in flight. Making it an ideal spot to aim for. Weaken it a bit and the wing folds right off.

I tried the finnish single mission yesterday flying an AR-80 against Il2's and Yak's. Now that's pointless. A whole magazine into an Il2 from under .20 and all I got was a smoke trail lol.

Obi_Kwiet
12-19-2004, 08:36 PM
How do you guys aim for a wing root or some other part of an AC? It's hard enough for me to get the cross hairs on the target from a dead 6. I suppose I should get some rudder pedals...

XyZspineZyX
12-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Aye, rudder control is essential for gunnery. You should just stick to Sidewinders until you can get some rudder pedals.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
12-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Used the same technique when I flew BoverB. There is one early mission when you are alone and attacked at your airfield by two Ju88s. Took them out with great ease and the other planes that where flying about. If you can point your guns in the right place with the right convergance, you can take anything down with a Hurri. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

ImpStarDuece
12-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Funny, but i never really had any trouble downing bombers (particularly He-111s) with Hurricanes. I always followed the golden rule though; never attack from behind.

What works for me is to manouver for an initial pass from the front, usually coming in at a 15-30 degree dive from between 10-2 O'clock. I find that while there is rear armour on a lot of fuel tanks, front passes seem to light the tanks up very quickly. I usually aim for the wing root /fuselage section. If my gunnery is off i will either hit the cockpit or one of the engines.

After the initial pass i will usually level out and then perform a slow turning climb to reverse my heading and gain some alt. Then i will fly level with the formation until i have pulled slightly ahead of them. If i have significant altitude over them i will simply go vertical and dive straight back through the formation. If i am roughly co-alt i will make passes from the 3 or 9 O'clock position aiming to rake my fire along the fuselage, wing root and engine housing.

A .303 is not going to do any major structural damage so you need to aim for the vulnerable spots; wing tanks, engines and the cockpit (PKs aren't easy to get though).

I can even take out Pe-8s and B-17s with my Hurri if i have patience and a bit of luck.