PDA

View Full Version : Software renderer

Fresshness
11-11-2004, 07:22 AM
Is there any way to get to use a 'software renderer' instead of DirectX or OpenGL?

I heard that the DirectX renderer in IL2/FB/AEP/PF is basicly a wrapper, so wouldn't it be equally possible to just write a wrapper for a software renderer. writing a wrapper usually doesn't take much energy or resources.

I'm asking this because a friend of mine wants to play IL2/FB/AEP/PF on his computer, but he doesn't have a 3D card, nor does he plan to buy one in the future (budget-restrictions imposed by female counterpart). However, his CPU is quite strong (P4 3Ghz) which should make the software renderer a viable option untill he gets permission from ├┼ôbergruppenfraulein to get some hardware upgrades.

cheers!

GreyBeast
11-11-2004, 07:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fresshness:
Is there any way to get to use a 'software renderer' instead of DirectX or OpenGL?

I heard that the DirectX renderer in IL2/FB/AEP/PF is basicly a wrapper, so wouldn't it be equally possible to just write a wrapper for a software renderer. writing a wrapper usually doesn't take much energy or resources.

I'm asking this because a friend of mine wants to play IL2/FB/AEP/PF on his computer, but he doesn't have a 3D card, nor does he plan to buy one in the future (budget-restrictions imposed by female counterpart). However, his CPU is quite strong (P4 3Ghz) which should make the software renderer a viable option untill he gets permission from ├┼ôbergruppenfraulein to get some hardware upgrades.

cheers! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simple solution:

1. Dump the "female counterpart"
2. Buy a 3D card
3. Be happy

Fresshness
11-11-2004, 07:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GreyBeast:
Simple solution:

1. Dump the "female counterpart"
2. Buy a 3D card
3. Be happy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's call that plan-B http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

VW-IceFire
11-11-2004, 07:52 AM
Pentium 4 3.0 but no 3D card eh?

At the very least, go out, spend $60 and grab a few of the budget cards around like the GeForce Ti-4200 (if ye can find one), a Radeon 9250, or the like.

It won't be pretty but it'll work.

javierib
11-11-2004, 08:40 AM
hey...i have a Ti4200 and it's pretty!... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Nige_Reconman
11-11-2004, 08:58 AM
he load on a cpu to render the 3d would be horrific. You wouldn't be able to bumpmap or pixel shade you could vertex shade but it would look **** and even a 3.0GHz processor would groan under the data load, infact it would probably just keep crashing.

Spot him $80.00 for a graphics card and have him reimburse you $5 a week or something for it.

Tully__
11-11-2004, 09:31 AM
How will his female counterpart know the difference if he just buys and install a 3D card without telling her?

As for the GF4 Ti4200, mine will run PF on perfect if there's not too much AA.

Weather_Man
11-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Even the integrated video chip on a P4 3.0 should be able to play PF to some degree, though they are not supported by the game. Better than a pure software solution, which is not really feasible. Unless, of course, the game won't run at all with the chip. Then he's just gonna have to do some academy award winning sweet-talking to get a vid card. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

OldMan____
11-11-2004, 12:17 PM
He would need a P4 at 12 GHz to mimic a modest FX card performance. 3D Cards are mandatory in any game playing today

ExpendableT
11-11-2004, 02:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fresshness:
I heard that the DirectX renderer in IL2/FB/AEP/PF is basicly a wrapper, so wouldn't it be equally possible to just write a wrapper for a software renderer. writing a wrapper usually doesn't take much energy or resources. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all, DirectX is NOT a wrapper. It's an API (application programming interface). OpenGL is the other commonly used graphics API. The general purpose of these 2 API's is to make it easier for the programmer to render computer graphics without having to know how to "talk" to each specific type of video card.

And finally, writing a 3D software renderer is extremely difficult, requiring excellent knowledge of advanced mathmatics. In fact, it's just about the most difficult thing you could ask a graphics programmer to do. And as others have pointed out, it would must likely suck. The end result would look absolutely terrible on your screen, and with the amount of geometry being generated in IL2/AEP/PF would probably give you less than 1 frame per second in a software-renderer. It would be unplayable! That is why nobody writes software renderers for games these days. It's a thing of the past.

The_Great_Stonk
11-11-2004, 02:55 PM
directx in il2 is just an opengl driver wrapped in a directx compatable wrapper, the game engine is open gl native, not directx, thus perfect is only available in open gl, and you generally get lower performance when running in directx mode.

LEXX_Luthor
11-11-2004, 07:26 PM
mmmm, with the multi~core cpu of the future, one or more cores maybe could be used for grafix, mmm just thinking waaay out there.

Overshoot
11-11-2004, 08:11 PM
Many years ago I was in a similar situation. I chose 'plan-B' and if I had to go back in time and choose again, it'd be plan-B again, no question.