PDA

View Full Version : Regarding subtitling ingame.

Volturnus
11-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Greetings,

Yes I have used the search I know theres no subtitling, My question however is why UBI, if the subs from movies / cutscenes etc are cut because of disk-space issues, doesn't simply release the subs as separate download on xbox live?

I'm deaf since January 1997, after some serious illness. Many people who are hearing impaired simply are getting screwed over with games that come without subtitles. Sure, many games are still playable and you can follow the plot / story just fine, but not a pure single player game with lot's of dialogue / cutscenes like Assasin's Creed.

It's kinda disapointing this, a major released game, doesn't include any subtitling, nor the option to download it over xboxlive.

Regards,

Frank

Volturnus
11-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Greetings,

Yes I have used the search I know theres no subtitling, My question however is why UBI, if the subs from movies / cutscenes etc are cut because of disk-space issues, doesn't simply release the subs as separate download on xbox live?

I'm deaf since January 1997, after some serious illness. Many people who are hearing impaired simply are getting screwed over with games that come without subtitles. Sure, many games are still playable and you can follow the plot / story just fine, but not a pure single player game with lot's of dialogue / cutscenes like Assasin's Creed.

It's kinda disapointing this, a major released game, doesn't include any subtitling, nor the option to download it over xboxlive.

Regards,

Frank

avsrule247
11-14-2007, 05:50 PM
We are sorry to hear about your illness but I am sure the game will still be enjoyable. Obviously it may not seem fair that you can't enjoy it fully but unfortunately there are no fixes for some things in life.

Tin
11-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Totally agree with you on the subs. Although I don't suffer from illness, I still enjoy having the option of subtitles (gf watchin the TV/fallen asleep).

Maybe something patched over?

trojanfoe
11-14-2007, 06:04 PM
I doubt the subtitles were dropped for diskspace reasons (they are only text with some synchronization data, so would take up very little space). They are often useful to everyone, not just hard-of-hearing, so it's shame they were not included.

cooldude6681
11-14-2007, 06:27 PM
I think the official explanation is that they were dropped because they would get confusing with a whole bunch of people onscreen talking at once. Which doesn't make a lick of sense as they could just have them activate only when a storytelling part is taking place.

Tryke17
11-14-2007, 06:30 PM
No subs? Well looks like ill have to turn the sound up more..I ALWAYS use subs in every game.

cooldude6681
11-14-2007, 06:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tryke17:
No subs? Well looks like ill have to turn the sound up more..I ALWAYS use subs in every game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif Likewise. Subtitles are so helpful when you have poor aural comprehension or are used to reading subtitles/closed captions.

Volturnus
11-15-2007, 04:38 AM
Hello,

This post isn't specifically made for hearing impaired people, more for subtitling in general, plenty of people who always turn them on who can hear, or understand English just fine.

Sure I can understand the people in the town ain't subtitled, but why not the crucial parts like cut-scenes / the story-telling part?

*minor spoilers possible*

avsrule247:

If you are sure I will enjoy the game then explain me why I'm already stuck, right after gaining the second achievement there is in game, in the, let's say the "moderner" part in the game.

I went back to my bedroom, interacted with the vent shaft, waited till the doctor and the woman came out of the, for me locked room.

They said something to me after which the doctor leaves the lab / building, I'm now alone with the woman which I can talk to. After she has nothing to say anymore, I'm able to go to bed, and sleep, after which the doctor wakes me up.

Right after he wakes me up he crawls behind his computer, the woman is standing behind the computer on the "brancard" and I'm unable to interact with anything.

edit: turned out my game was bugged, you are supposed to get on the brancard, which didn't work on my save, restarted the game, now I am able to continue.

Do you see now how subtitles would come in handy? If the objective was clear for me in this situation, and it still wouldn't work I would have known immediatly something must have gone wrong, instead of wasting 2 hours on figuring out what to do next http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif