PDA

View Full Version : PC v. DS?

HalfSigma
11-28-2007, 01:04 PM
So what's missing from the DS version?

I know the library of 600,000 games is missing. And I know the DS is a much weaker computer than a PC so 40 seconds of thinking time on the DS might only be one second of thinking on the PC. (Do you think that 40:1 ratio is correct?) And the PC has fancy graphics, but who cares, it's chess.

Why buy Chessmaster at all if I own a copy of Fritz 8? (And there's a lot about Fritz 8 that makes it frustrating to play with, so I'm not saying that I'm not interested in purchasing Chessmaster if it offers a better experience for someone who isn't a master level chess player.)

PC version must run on a notebook computer without a DVD present otherwise I'm not interested in the PC version.

HalfSigma
11-28-2007, 01:04 PM
So what's missing from the DS version?

I know the library of 600,000 games is missing. And I know the DS is a much weaker computer than a PC so 40 seconds of thinking time on the DS might only be one second of thinking on the PC. (Do you think that 40:1 ratio is correct?) And the PC has fancy graphics, but who cares, it's chess.

Why buy Chessmaster at all if I own a copy of Fritz 8? (And there's a lot about Fritz 8 that makes it frustrating to play with, so I'm not saying that I'm not interested in purchasing Chessmaster if it offers a better experience for someone who isn't a master level chess player.)

PC version must run on a notebook computer without a DVD present otherwise I'm not interested in the PC version.

poulpe
11-28-2007, 01:24 PM
First, if you play with Chessmaster XI, you don't need to have the DVD all the time. And, of course, you need an Internet access if you want to play online.
About the DS version:
- Because the DS is much smaller than a laptop, it's easier to carry.
- It uses the dual-screen nicely.
- I like the Mini Games and Puzzles.

But:
- more expensive than the PC version.
- You can find the screen small.
- Battery life? (I have three batteries because I find one battery not enough).
- I haven't used the DS version a lot, so it's impossible to tell you if it's worth buying it or not.

HalfSigma
11-28-2007, 02:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Because the DS is much smaller than a laptop, it's easier to carry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A DS is a LOT easier to carry around. And easy to play while siting on your couch, etc.

Is the entire game that's on the PC really also in the DS, except for the library of games and the audio/video stuff?

likesforests
11-28-2007, 03:59 PM
The DS version is supposedly only around 1850 USCF ELO... which is strong enough to give most people a challenge (at some time control) but not strong enough to do any real post-game analysis.

HalfSigma
11-28-2007, 04:25 PM
1850 means it can beat 85% of people who regularly play in rated tournaments?

likesforests
11-28-2007, 05:17 PM
"1850 means it can beat 85% of people who regularly play in rated tournaments?"

1850 means it can beat 86% of non-scholastic USCF players. They don't break down their stats based on who plays regularly vs only once in their life so I can't help you with that part, although I suspect the % of regular players would be lower.

http://www.uschess.org/ratings/ratedist.html

The real questions are, can it beat you? And, how important to you is post-game analysis?

HalfSigma
11-29-2007, 08:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The real questions are, can it beat you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I regularly beat Fritz!

"Ah, a Gary Kasparov level player" you are thinking. Nah, I just set Fritz' "fixed depth" to 1.

OK, I guess I suck, and I'm still in phase where I keep hanging pieces.

I guess that Chessmaster DS could kick my butt at a "fixed depth" of 2.