PDA

View Full Version : Hero Names : issues & comments

Thunion
01-26-2011, 12:37 AM
So i have seen alots of discussion recently why sveltana not svetlana so i wanted to start topic about it.first of all YES it is sveltana not svetlana AND you cant prove i am wrong becouse i got website at my back(Unless ubi failed so hard and just missplaced 2 latters in which i doubt.. but if it true dont except anything good from heroes 6). Please dont rage on me for my trolling http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Now more on sveltana as Nightmus sayed
The actual name is Svetlana, which means "light", "heartwarming", "inspiring"
also in russian svet-light,so in my opinion ubi intentionaly missplaced latters to show that sveltana was folower of light but she chosed other way(necromancer) Whats your oppinion?

Thunion
01-26-2011, 12:37 AM
So i have seen alots of discussion recently why sveltana not svetlana so i wanted to start topic about it.first of all YES it is sveltana not svetlana AND you cant prove i am wrong becouse i got website at my back(Unless ubi failed so hard and just missplaced 2 latters in which i doubt.. but if it true dont except anything good from heroes 6). Please dont rage on me for my trolling http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Now more on sveltana as Nightmus sayed <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The actual name is Svetlana, which means "light", "heartwarming", "inspiring" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
also in russian svet-light,so in my opinion ubi intentionaly missplaced latters to show that sveltana was folower of light but she chosed other way(necromancer) Whats your oppinion?

Elementalist.
01-26-2011, 01:36 AM
I remember it was a wordplay that was actually related to death or necromancy..

Nightmus
01-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Even if it is intentional, it doesn't feel right. Imagine if Luke Skywalker joined the Dark Force and chose to be called Luke Skywakler. Wooo how scary!

Xenofex_086
01-26-2011, 10:15 AM
More like Luek Skywalker...
I definitely agree that Sveltana sounds weird as hell - like some parents wanted to make the life of their child as hard as possible. I guess it's too late to correct this intentional typo, but still... do correct it please!

Thunion
01-26-2011, 11:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I definitely agree that Sveltana sounds weird as hell - like some parents wanted to make the life of their child as hard as possible </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif well actualy there is no info about her parents so we dont know who to accuse ;D

Pitsu
01-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Do you not see that she is Agrael/Raelag of H6? Agrael had demon purification rebirth, Svetlana will be reborn into undead life... Edit: she probably did not wanted to be called Analsvet, thus another acronym.

Nightmus
01-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Yeah, "Analsweat" is no good at all. But "Swelled ana" isn't much of an improvement, don't you think? Damn, what have they done to a beautiful name! I guess necromancy is that twisted.

gazdalale
02-17-2011, 04:52 PM
In some Slavic languages, particularlly on south Slavic languages (Serbian, Croatian,...) word "svetlo", as noun, means light and, as adjective, means shiny. Svetlana is common and very spread name here. It means she who carries light(purity,innocence) within...

Infiltrator-SF
02-17-2011, 05:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gazdalale:
In some Slavic languages, particularlly on south Slavic languages (Serbian, Croatian,...) word "svetlo", as noun, means light and, as adjective, means shiny. Svetlana is common and very spread name here. It means she who carries light(purity,innocence) within... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I confirm this.. common slavic name.

Thunion
02-18-2011, 03:48 AM
Well yes svetlana is common name (i know closly at lesat 2 svetlanas http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

BabkaTapka
08-17-2011, 11:44 PM
I think this is not fix, not enough time. Someone do fatal mistake. Editor not knowing russian names and just say: "Done!". And this wrong name come to the game, actors sound it in dialogs ... etc. Sveltana sounds like a Joésphine (Joséphine) or Consatnce (Constance). All this wrong names read terribly and sounds more-more bad. "Previously Svetlana - now stay necromancer and her name is changed" - this is not work. Developers can try to hide this mistake different ways, but this wrong name be in the game like big pimple on the face. Svetlana very popular name in Russia, that really there to talk - my mom is Svetlana. I hope our localizers fix it in Russian version.

P.S. Sorry for bad English.

Devi_Anji
08-19-2011, 11:31 AM
I must say, being Russian, I wholeheartedly agree with the previous poster. I'm growing more and more disappointed with their decision to use a bunch of VERY common Russian names in this game. First time I started playing human campaign, the fact that my hero's name was Slava made me laugh due to how awful and 'unheroicly' it sounds in the whole 'epic fantasy' context (especially if you remember his last name, it's a double combo).
It's like naming your human paladin John Smith. Same effect.
"Sveltana" made me raise my eyebrow and re-read it several times to make sure I didn't misread. And to be honest, I think I can tell that "Sveltana" name is simply misspelled. I can judge by this page http://might-and-magic.ubi.com...aracters/index.aspx, (http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/heroes-6/en-GB/story/main-characters/index.aspx,) where all 4 heroes in a row are named common Russian names.
I call this either laziness, or blunt ignorance, or both. Game itself is amazing, but this one thing just puts me off.

On a relevant note, this might not be as obvious to the people that don't speak/know any Slavic languages, but I personally think that Ubi should have considered the size of the gaming community in Russia, and there's quite a large one dedicated specifically to HoMM series.

I just hope that they'll fix it in the Russian localization, at least. Assuming that foreign people could care less about how common these names are in the other countries.

Sorceresss
08-19-2011, 07:20 PM
I have edited on 19 August the title of a thread started on 26 January. The thread had been inactive for a whole 6 months (18/02-18/08) and it had been recently resurrected by a Russian member who wished to express his outrage at the caricatural misspelling of the Russian name Svetlana into the game's improper "Sveltana" form.

Since the last two Russian members who posted about the incorrect "Sveltana" form pounded conclusive nails in the coffin of that caricatural hero-name, it gave me the idea to expand the scope of this old thread by changing its title, so that the names of all heroes who will be present in Heroes 6 might be objects of scrutiny & debate.

RottaranOwain
08-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Remember that all the main hero characters are also part of the same family. Many families use patterns in naming their children, like naming the first son George.

I'm Canadian, and my whole family (as far as I know) for the past 3 generations have all had British names.

Masky19
10-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Just started the game and the whole russian names is annoying for me, it just ruins the fantasy feel for me. Hearing orcs with very orcish accent we have been used to, or knights talking of names which sound really strange in their mouths Svetlana,Slava,Anastasia. I'm pretty sure I will soon meet heroes named Igor and Ivan soon.

I don't see the point, you could added a new castle or something, with heroes talking with a russian accent or whatever, but not this.

Looking forward for the next driving game with muscle cars, where we all gona drive moskovich,lada, volga or whatever.

Just my first impression, the first time I played the game. Nothing against having russian,greek,gipsy,etc names in heroes, as long as it has a context.