PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Argument

e2michaelb
05-26-2005, 08:13 PM
The August 2003 issue of Flight Journal features an article by Corky Meyer which addresses his assessments of the best WWII fighters, ETO and PTO. He used 4 criteria: production >10k; effectiveness in A2A, A2G, Photorecon and bomber protection, pilot compatibility, and service record. He concluded that the best fighters were the P47 (ETO) and the F6F (PTO). It would appear these represent "best all-around". the FW-190, F4U and the Yak-series rated high in his book, too. Bf109, P51, Spitfire, Me262, P38 and A6M5 each had specific drawbacks or weaknesses cited which relegated them to also-ran" status. I thought it might be interesting to compare Meyer's conclusions with one's in-game choices. Me? I rather like flying Bf109's and P51's, their well-known vices notwithstanding.

e2michaelb
05-26-2005, 08:13 PM
The August 2003 issue of Flight Journal features an article by Corky Meyer which addresses his assessments of the best WWII fighters, ETO and PTO. He used 4 criteria: production >10k; effectiveness in A2A, A2G, Photorecon and bomber protection, pilot compatibility, and service record. He concluded that the best fighters were the P47 (ETO) and the F6F (PTO). It would appear these represent "best all-around". the FW-190, F4U and the Yak-series rated high in his book, too. Bf109, P51, Spitfire, Me262, P38 and A6M5 each had specific drawbacks or weaknesses cited which relegated them to also-ran" status. I thought it might be interesting to compare Meyer's conclusions with one's in-game choices. Me? I rather like flying Bf109's and P51's, their well-known vices notwithstanding.

jarink
05-26-2005, 10:18 PM
If you're deciding the "best" fighter, why limit the selections to those with over 10,000 produced? That really cuts out a lot of fine a/c. I guess that's one of the reasons the 262 was an "also ran"?

Oh, well, the only other non-subjective criteria he used was service record. That can be misleading, too.

In-game, I like the P-38. Good overall performance, heavy armament (for a USAAF fighter) grouped in the nose for concentrated hitting power and twin engine safety.

irR4tiOn4L
05-26-2005, 10:36 PM
These are pretty silly comparisons - hes really just picking out what he likes.

First of all, production is an unfair factor - this will benefit the most mass produced allied aircraft, as their factories were not bombed out.

Second Air to Air relies almost entirely on what aircraft you are going up against and who the pilot is - the only way to avoid being subjective is to say Air to Air effectiveness in their own time period - and this of course is all about which aircraft was most important and mass produced, not the best per se.

Third, 'pilot compatibility', 'bomber protection' and 'service record' are so incredibly subjective. Bomber protection had better fighters than both of those, service record just reflects how many there were, who flew them and whether they flew them in a winning or losing war, and pilot compatibility is too subjective to be a factor - people will more often then not be predisposed toward what they fly - it also depends on who you ask. I suspect he mostly just asked American pilots.

Finally, if all those other aircraft had vices, well its silly to suggest the F6F and P47 didnt. The P47 was well armored and armed, but if flies like a bus. Its too heavy and cant turn all that well, and although its fast, its not the fastest. This plane will not make anyone an ace - it must be flown by one. The F6F was just a whole lot better than the Wildcat. It was finally faster and allowed its pilots to at least hit and run the Zeros. Its not really a challenge for most other aircraft on that list, so how could it possibly be the best?

The best he could conclude is that those fighters made the biggest impact in the war - but then so did the zero, spitfire, 109, P38 and FW 190 - so you cant even say that. Besides, how do you rate an aircraft's impact when its country lost the war? Arent you going to be biased toward saying it didnt make an impact from the very start (eg it failed to protect bombers and so on).

ClnlSandersLite
05-27-2005, 03:48 AM
[ Sarcasm ]P-51 WON THE WAR DUDE!!!11!one!!1 [ /Sarcasm ]