PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge of Le Parkour/Free Running

eWaster
11-14-2007, 12:47 PM
I was doing some free running one day and then it hit me...

Will a gamer have any advantage, of knowing about Le Parkour/Free Running when playing/considering getting this game?

I personally think so as one of the main focuses in Assassins Creed is the free running aspect.

Some people might have got me wrong. I meant, Free Runners and Le Parkour inspirated souls may look at the free running aspect of the game as an awesome opportunity of getting to actually professional try free running. Jumping from roof to roof and scaling buildings. Things like that. People who doesn't know anything about Le Parkour or Free Running might find the game's free running side a bit repetive... i don't know, im a huge Le Parkour fan so im sure that I won't find the free running repetive in any way.

eWaster
11-14-2007, 12:47 PM

Will a gamer have any advantage, of knowing about Le Parkour/Free Running when playing/considering getting this game?

I personally think so as one of the main focuses in Assassins Creed is the free running aspect.

Some people might have got me wrong. I meant, Free Runners and Le Parkour inspirated souls may look at the free running aspect of the game as an awesome opportunity of getting to actually professional try free running. Jumping from roof to roof and scaling buildings. Things like that. People who doesn't know anything about Le Parkour or Free Running might find the game's free running side a bit repetive... i don't know, im a huge Le Parkour fan so im sure that I won't find the free running repetive in any way.

IHS_Spitfire
11-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Yeah, all us Traceurs will know where to do a certain Arm Jump/Cat leap and if we will make it or not or when or where to jump.

me-gud-u-bad
11-14-2007, 12:54 PM
no because theres no skill needed behind the climbing is there, its just holding the button and pressing the thumb stick in the direction you want to go...

IHS_Spitfire
11-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Only people who do Parkour (Traceurs/Tracceces) will be able to answer this properly, It does give us a slight advantage on the game.

me-gud-u-bad
11-14-2007, 12:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Only people who do Parkour (Traceurs/Tracceces) will be able to answer this properly, It does give us a slight advantage on the game.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how????

IHS_Spitfire
11-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Because when you start Parkour you never notice good spots to try thingts out on and as you progress you notice good spots to try stuff on, same thing applies to AC. Not saying the advantage will be big, just a tiny one.

chaos_shojiko
11-14-2007, 01:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DuMbAzZ-:

I personally think so as one of the main focuses in Assassins Creed is the free running aspect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it could be true, but myself as a trained officer, i have a very good attention to detail skill that will also give me a sense of smarts around the environment.

IHS_Spitfire
11-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah, same thing, Anyone who's good with spotting good urban stuff/architecture will be good at doing the Parkour on this game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

me-gud-u-bad
11-14-2007, 01:11 PM
all you do is press the buttons and the AI does the work, Altair will know if theres somewhere to grab onto, all you do is run at the wall

IHS_Spitfire
11-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Im talking about the most efficient ways. You don't do parkour so you can't undertand how we think. I'm not starting any arguments like but I'm saying that we will know the best way to get from A to B.

x_101_
11-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Heres how i could explain it:
Normal person: damn a wall in my way!
Tracuer: YES! a wall!

BTOG46
11-14-2007, 01:26 PM
This thread reminds me of a similar one in the Dark Messiah forums a while back.
All the sword fighting experts seemed to think they would have an advantage in combat over mere gameplayers, how wrong they were........... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

knife_X
11-14-2007, 01:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IHS_Spitfire:
Im talking about the most efficient ways. You don't do parkour so you can't undertand how we think. I'm not starting any arguments like but I'm saying that we will know the best way to get from A to B. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol a reality check for you might be a good idea!

MoveMeant
11-14-2007, 01:27 PM
I agree with Me-gud-u-bad.. I really dont think it is possible to transfer skills from real life to a game.. Certain rules apply to RL which is not in AC and the other way around..
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Im talking about the most efficient ways. You don't do parkour so you can't undertand how we think. I'm not starting any arguments like but I'm saying that we will know the best way to get from A to B. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> And that makes you sound like a jacka.s

AirRon_2K7
11-14-2007, 01:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by x_101_:
Heres how i could explain it:
Normal person: damn a wall in my way!
Tracuer: YES! a wall! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good way of putting it. Although to the topic creator: I'm kinda worried that while you were in the middle of something possibly dangerous, you had a thought about a video game (The worry being that you'd go flying off a roof http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif)

DeadCorpseAC
11-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Traceurs know more efficient ways to go to somewhere than "normal" people. This is a fact.
I think that this will help in the game.

jonavoly
11-14-2007, 01:35 PM
agree...

(Imagine this, alty does uber kong over beam, his cloak gerts caught up and he gets wrapped around the pole... gaurds start poking him with spears http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Good idea for ask altair...)

IHS_Spitfire
11-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Thank you why the hell does it make me sound like a *******?

IHS_Spitfire
11-14-2007, 01:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MoveMeant:
I agree with Me-gud-u-bad.. I really dont think it is possible to transfer skills from real life to a game.. Certain rules apply to RL which is not in AC and the other way around..
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why though, Its how we SPOT things not how we actually do them, thats what I'm trying to point out.

x_101_
11-14-2007, 01:41 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif the guys i train with call it "parkour vision"

IHS_Spitfire
11-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Lol, nice. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

eWaster
11-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Guys, please read the updated topic.

IHS_Spitfire
11-14-2007, 01:45 PM
How long you been training X101?

x_101_
11-14-2007, 01:45 PM
not very long probably about 2 months

MoveMeant
11-14-2007, 01:47 PM
It makes you sound like a ******* because it like "We know (because we are better than you) that bla bla..,and i just want to tell you that we are way better than you"..
its how you look on it. And thats the way i see it..

IHS_Spitfire
11-14-2007, 01:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MoveMeant:
It makes you sound like a ******* because it like "We know (because we are better than you) that bla bla..,and i just want to tell you that we are way better than you"..
its how you look on it. And thats the way i see it.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not saying in ANY way that Traceurs are better than you guys, I'm saying we can spot better things to do parkour on than you guys because of the experience buddy! Sorry if I offended you.

IHS_Spitfire
11-14-2007, 01:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by x_101_:
not very long probably about 2 months </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nice, where do you live?

x_101_
11-14-2007, 01:50 PM
E.Sussex and its getting to of topic so... i don't think it will get too repetitive for anyone coz there are soo many different thing to climbhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

IHS_Spitfire
11-14-2007, 01:51 PM
E.Sussex </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool. I'm gonna PM you.

eWaster
11-14-2007, 01:51 PM
People! Please get back on topic! And read the update. Would Traceurs find the free running aspect of the game more interesting and longer lasting than others who actually don't know what Le Parkour or Free running is?

DeadCorpseAC
11-14-2007, 01:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IHS_Spitfire:
its how you look on it. And thats the way i see it.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not saying in ANY way that Traceurs are better than you guys, I'm saying we can spot better things to do parkour on than you guys because of the experience buddy! Sorry if I offended you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
True.

Phreaky_McGeek
11-14-2007, 01:53 PM
I've some experience in fencing, yet I can tell you I've never needed to use anything I've learned in a game (except perhaps that I always take the most defensive stance possible __)

scottbooth92
11-14-2007, 02:07 PM
I used to like the whole parquor idea, but the last time i ever attempted to climb something, it happened to be the spire of st.matthews church in northampton (uk), i got caught by the police and recieved a warning for "attempted vandalism" or something along those lines (i got searched and they happened to find a permanent marker pen...which was for school!!!) anyway, more recently im no longer too fond on parqour, mainly because i dislike the idea of being impailed on the top of a traffic light ^^

p.s. sorry for the bad example...but u never know...it could happen http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

IHS_Spitfire
11-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Parkour dude, and Parkour isn't about climing very high. It's about progression to progress slowly.

Skilgannon1987
11-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Boys...think about it this way- if you are arguing that there is a relationship between the gaming world and the real world in terms of skill, then isn't it likely that it could work both ways? i.e. from playing massive amounts of AC a 'normal' person will be able to better recognize these things in real life, maybe give them some basic understanding of Parkour.

Faylinks
11-14-2007, 04:26 PM
yea thats why im getting this game really, just free runing really exites me because i live in a place where there is not many opportunities to get to point a - b in style.

but waht i love doing is hoping on the top rim of a 4-5 foot fence and clearing the shrubry behind it. so its like jump, fence, higher jump off fence. its fun and semi easy.

Raide
11-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Interesting question...hrmm...I guess if Assassin's Creed was based in say, London, it would be easier for Parkour users to find their way around, since they already understand their surroundings.

Since the game is based in 1191ad, nobody really has the first hand understanding of the full city layout, so maybe the Parkour users would not have so much of an advantage to start with.

It will be interesting to see if that is the case and for all of those Parkour people out there, let us know what you think of the way the game uses the free-running feature. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Raide
UK Forum Manager

Faylinks
11-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Parkour dude, and Parkour isn't about climing very high. It's about progression to progress slowly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
not really, its getting form a to b most efficiently, OR with style.

Skilgannon1987
11-14-2007, 04:35 PM
i know this is morbid; but wouldn't it be funny if some guy bought AC, played it, then decided he would do an some parkour...like jumping of a cathedral into a haystack (isnt parkour...possibly just stupid)

IHS_Spitfire
11-14-2007, 04:53 PM
Lol, yeah that WOULD be funn.. Stupid http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I mean the Training of Parkour

Parkour it'self is To get from A to B as efficiently as possible and back, doesn't nesseserially (sp?) have to be the same way back though.

Parkour training is all about Progression
and it isn't technically Parkour unless your getting chased or using it to get somewhere.

And I think the work your looking for is FLOW not STYLE.

Spblob
11-14-2007, 07:02 PM

I'm not saying in ANY way that Traceurs are better than you guys, I'm saying we can spot better things to do parkour on than you guys because of the experience buddy! Sorry if I offended you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I do think that doing [alot] of parkour MIGHT help in the game in the running for your life parts. Partly because when you are constantly jumping places and running places (in life) you have to look for places to land and to hold on to quickly or you might fall and/or get hurt really badly. I don't know if this would directly affect the fact of the player looking at the game architecture though.

PS: and thanks for the appology...I was feeling down. Live in the middle of nowhere with a couple trees around. I use to run up the wall of the church and fall and hurt my legs but then I moved http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif. Took a little practice and luck in finding a rough wall but it was fun and I miss simple things like that.

I don't know where I saw this first exactly but I hope that I don't wind up doing this in A/C!: poor guy:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>hmmm (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2cUFhgUTIxc)

^^^^EDIT. UP THERE.^^^^^^^