PDA

View Full Version : The yaw and the ailerons

jugent
06-11-2005, 01:30 AM
In the new patch, the planes, especially the Me-109 seems to yaw under the influence of the elevators.
Further the yawing goings on for a while after the use of ailerons, its like a pendelum movement eaven though I try to correct it with rudders, but the yawing dont seems to influence the stalling or the aiming.
I havnt flown so much so it might be another reasong but does a real A/C got those yawing characteristics.
Otherwise I think that the new patch is good.
I got hit by a spit yesterday and my engine didnt stop, I shoot down a P-47 with only two burst of my FW.

jugent
06-11-2005, 01:30 AM
In the new patch, the planes, especially the Me-109 seems to yaw under the influence of the elevators.
Further the yawing goings on for a while after the use of ailerons, its like a pendelum movement eaven though I try to correct it with rudders, but the yawing dont seems to influence the stalling or the aiming.
I havnt flown so much so it might be another reasong but does a real A/C got those yawing characteristics.
Otherwise I think that the new patch is good.
I got hit by a spit yesterday and my engine didnt stop, I shoot down a P-47 with only two burst of my FW.

vocatx
06-11-2005, 02:50 AM
Try flying a Beech Bonanza V-35. These planes have a "V" tail, and yes, they yaw.....if there's any turbulance they yaw almost continually. I've never been up in a real 109 so I can't say anything about it.

F19_Ob
06-11-2005, 04:56 AM
Interesting.
Many of the highpowered combat planes were a handfull in certain speeds.

I remeber an article by Mark Hanna who flew both the spit, 109, and p-51 and one of the things he noted was that both the 109 and p51 needed lots of rudderimput in some speeds.

thanks for the info

Taylortony
06-11-2005, 05:38 AM
All aircraft yaw and roll with the input of rudder, its a secondary effect, as the leading edge of the yawing wing advances it creates more lift and the plane will roll..

jugent
06-11-2005, 10:01 AM
In my game the Bonanza isnt flyable or in the AI-plane list.
Yes the plane would yaw while rolling because of the higher drag on the topside of the wing, creates more drag to the aileron that is raised,but the elevator seems to create yaw too.

Chuck_Older
06-11-2005, 12:50 PM
version 4.0 is simply a release candidate that got released. It's not the intended final version, which will be called v4.01

vocatx
06-11-2005, 02:45 PM
jugent, you asked if REAL aircraft had yaw problems, that's what I was answering. No, Beech Bonanza isn't in FB/PF, and I'm sure it never will be, as it is a post war civilian plane.

sunflower1
06-11-2005, 03:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In the new patch, the planes, especially the Me-109 seems to yaw under the influence of the rudder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Perhaps what you're talking about is how long it takes the occilations to be damped. Use of ailerons has little effect on this damping, unless the adverse yaw due to aileron input is timed to amplify or reduce the swing of the nose.

In a real airplane, if you kick the nose all the way to the left and let go, it will overshoot when bringing itself back to center in a series of diminishing occilations.

Nice patch.

TX-EcoDragon
06-11-2005, 04:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vocatx:
Try flying a Beech Bonanza V-35. These planes have a "V" tail, and yes, they yaw.....if there's any turbulance they yaw almost continually. I've never been up in a real 109 so I can't say anything about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, even the straight tail Bonanzas scribe a laid down 8 with the nose. . .they are some of the worst, no matter how fast you're going and even if the air is smooth and you aren't making any inputs they do it!

Anyway, this is a pretty accurate action. In fact there should be MORE yaw from the use of ailerons (right yaw from left roll inputs for example), and the need for rudder coordination should be greater. Generally at higher speeds this oscillation is damped more quickly and with smaller deviations, but it is still there.

jugent
06-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Many german planes, like FW190, Me109 got a fixed trim-tab on the rudder and the ailerons that trimmed the roll and corrected the yaw at a certain speed.
Only the elevator got a trim wheel.
Many allied planes got a trim on rudder and ailerons.
It was popular among the pilots.
But the Me109 does yaw all the time independent of speed.
I think also that the yaw would be selfcorrecting but if you correct it with rudders while levelflying straight ahead, and make a turn the inclinometer flips away and place itself in the extreme end of the tube, and stays there and if you correct it, the yaw will go in a pendelum move.

I dont think that it should be this way, but perhaps is my knowledge to shallow in this issue.
The 4.0-patch is the best one so far IMO.

jflain
06-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Jugent i had the same problem with yaw rudder etc had to reinstall joystick and it corrected the problem.Only a suggestion.
Before i did this the F109 and FW190 were ubflyable.

jugent
06-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but I have done this some times.

TX-EcoDragon
06-11-2005, 06:28 PM
I missed that you asked about yaw that comes from the elevator. There should be yaw induced by the elevator as a result of gyrosopic effects of the prop. In the case of aircraft that have engines that rotate clockwise from the pilot's view, the nose will yaw right when you pull back on the elvator, and left when you push forward, and this is correct, and is less obvious in the sim than it is in most of these aircraft in the real world. In general I think there is not quite enough aerodynamic damping forces, and this makes the aircraft oscillations a little bit excessive in general, but as always I think we can expect Oleg and crew to continue to update the sim with improvements as tiem passes. Keep in mind though that many of these aircraft do oscillation like this even with no pilot inputs or obvious turbulence. . . like the previously mentioned Bonanzas.