PDA

View Full Version : Stunning

SilentBobBMFJ
01-13-2011, 03:50 AM
Had a couple questions about stunning.

Why doesn't it work most of the time? If they don't see me, it obviously works, but in my last match, I was on a bench, and saw the guy coming, and got up and hit circle 3-4x right in his face, and he kills me after that. What ****ed me off the most is it told me that he flanked me. Um, howso? I saw him the whole way, and that was my entire plan was to stun him. BTW, it should be obvious that in a tie, it goes to the killer, I'm aware of this, but I'm talking about when I clearly beat him. Lag maybe? God I hate how lag is the reason for everything.

Which brings me to my next question, is it worth it? Going out of your way to stun, is it worth the points? I don't really understand what I should be doing to get points the fastest anyways, but just curious how many of you stun.

SilentBobBMFJ
01-13-2011, 03:50 AM
Had a couple questions about stunning.

Why doesn't it work most of the time? If they don't see me, it obviously works, but in my last match, I was on a bench, and saw the guy coming, and got up and hit circle 3-4x right in his face, and he kills me after that. What ****ed me off the most is it told me that he flanked me. Um, howso? I saw him the whole way, and that was my entire plan was to stun him. BTW, it should be obvious that in a tie, it goes to the killer, I'm aware of this, but I'm talking about when I clearly beat him. Lag maybe? God I hate how lag is the reason for everything.

Which brings me to my next question, is it worth it? Going out of your way to stun, is it worth the points? I don't really understand what I should be doing to get points the fastest anyways, but just curious how many of you stun.

EscoBlades
01-13-2011, 04:02 AM
Surprise your pursuer BEFORE attempting to stun them. Assassinate has priority over stun, and rightfully so. Either use a smoke bomb, the terrain, or a blend group to surprise whoever is chasing you, then deliver a haymaker to their jaw. Pressing Circle or B first doesn't guarantee you the stun, especially if you've met your pursuer head on (like in your bench example)

If you follow those tips, you'll win stun encounters 90% of the time and post up numbers like this in any game mode:
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg610/scaled.php?tn=0&server=610&filename=0ld2.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

SilentBobBMFJ
01-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Of course stun takes a backseat to a kill, but I think it goes beyond that, in that there is a window for the killer to hit square after you've hit circle; at least a full second.

Rainie
01-13-2011, 02:17 PM
If you hit stun first then you'll get the stun, but if the system sees that stun and assassinate were hit at the same time the assassinate will win and you'll see the counter animation. The stun animation (face to face) is only 1.5-2 seconds long, 1 second for the hit and .5 or 1 second for the "cooldown" time where you can't do anything. If your pursuer is coming straight for you chances are they're spamming the assassinate button to get you as soon as your in range, if you want to increase your chances of getting the stun use something to stop them like smoke

obliviondoll
01-13-2011, 02:24 PM
There IS a short window between you starting to stun and your killer being unable to counter.

It's even shorter from behind.

But if you're walking straight up to your pursuer, they WILL see you coming.

A smart pursuer will think "this guy has smoke/mute" and walk away, keeping an eye on you in case you start to run at them, ready to run long enough to escape your mute, and still get the kill (yes, I have actually done this to someone once - didn't help his cause that it wasn't the first time he'd tried the same tactic on me during the match. It worked the first time).

Running up a wall is also a common tactic if someone's looking ready to drop smoke - doesn't hit people off your level, and silent + acrobatic is as good as incognito.

Most players aren't that smart, or can't think and react fast enough to do these things, but they can pretty effectively lock on and spam their "kill" button while you walk up to them, so non-ability stuns rarely work when you try to casually walk at the hunter.

Gyro458
01-13-2011, 02:25 PM
So yeah... surprise them. I came up behind the courtesan who was my pursuer. I hit B and I'm about to stun her but she somehow grabs me and throws me over her shoulder! Even surprising people doesn't work!

EscoBlades
01-13-2011, 02:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gyro458:
So yeah... surprise them. I came up behind the courtesan who was my pursuer. I hit B and I'm about to stun her but she somehow grabs me and throws me over her shoulder! Even surprising people doesn't work! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not surprising them.

Surprising in that instance would have worked if you had been in a blend group, and your pursuer had little to no idea which one was you. Pop out of the group, and smack them in the jaw. +200 points.

obliviondoll
01-13-2011, 02:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EscoBlades:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gyro458:
So yeah... surprise them. I came up behind the courtesan who was my pursuer. I hit B and I'm about to stun her but she somehow grabs me and throws me over her shoulder! Even surprising people doesn't work! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not surprising them.

Surprising in that instance would have worked if you had been in a blend group, and your pursuer had little to no idea which one was you. Pop out of the group, and smack them in the jaw. +200 points. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Remember players don't always have the camera facing the direction their character is looking.

Assume every pursuer has 360 degree peripheral vision before trying to surprise them.

Sprint-Please
01-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Q: What about during a smokebomb or mute effect and the circle/b prompt doesn't show up at all?

Can anyone answer that...

SilverStardust
01-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Yeah, even dropping a smoke bomb is no guarantee you'll get a stun - many a time I've used a smoke bomb and tried to stun them and either the prompt would never appear, or it would and nothing would happen, and they'd still kill me before the smoke bomb wore off.

obliviondoll
01-13-2011, 03:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sprint-Please:
Q: What about during a smokebomb or mute effect and the circle/b prompt doesn't show up at all?

Can anyone answer that... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Usually happens because of lag.

If you're getting it consistently, and still seeing the prompt normally over the same person outside of smoke when they're your pursuer, I'd recommend contacting support, because in that case, lag's not likely, and you're looking at a bug that not many others are experiencing (I know there was a glitch in the beta that caused this to happen intermittently, but I haven't seen any indication that it still exists since the game was released)

cptn_k
01-13-2011, 04:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sprint-Please:

Can anyone answer that... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Usually happens because of lag.

If you're getting it consistently, and still seeing the prompt normally over the same person outside of smoke when they're your pursuer, I'd recommend contacting support, because in that case, lag's not likely, and you're looking at a bug that not many others are experiencing (I know there was a glitch in the beta that caused this to happen intermittently, but I haven't seen any indication that it still exists since the game was released) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

May also be that your pursuer has used their own mute just before you drop your bomb/mute, registering the kill first even though your smoke/mute animation still plays and you lose that ability. Lag would make this even worse.

I think if your pursuer has resistance perk this also reduces the effect/radius of your bomb/mute abilities, meaning you think they're smoked and go to slap them, only to find they're on 40 a day and kill you first.

I've suffered from most of these issues, from laggy games to counter-stun measures, just have to try alternative strategies or different game sessions.

When I changed my defensive profile slot settings to have resistance perk (with mute and charge abilities) I found I could stun a lot easier, or maybe I just got better at playing the game *ahem* http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

najzere
01-13-2011, 08:25 PM
The weirdest thing I've seen with Smoke Bomb and stunning is when I was blended in a stationary crowd and my pursuer came running up. I figured she was going to just blast either me or the Blender fake-out, so I prepared to drop smoke. Just before I dropped it, we went into chase mode and a moment later she hit the smoke, stumbled through the crowd and fell down on the ground. I went over to her to try for a stun and couldn't. That's the only time I've seen someone fall over in the game for no reason. It looked like the animation from a stun when they fall down, but I hadn't stunned her, and when she got up she was still my pursuer. A second after she got up, the guy she'd been running from came over and killed her. I thought maybe he had thrown knives at her to cause the weirdness, but I haven't ever seen that make anyone fall.

obliviondoll
01-13-2011, 09:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by najzere:
The weirdest thing I've seen with Smoke Bomb and stunning is when I was blended in a stationary crowd and my pursuer came running up. I figured she was going to just blast either me or the Blender fake-out, so I prepared to drop smoke. Just before I dropped it, we went into chase mode and a moment later she hit the smoke, stumbled through the crowd and fell down on the ground. I went over to her to try for a stun and couldn't. That's the only time I've seen someone fall over in the game for no reason. It looked like the animation from a stun when they fall down, but I hadn't stunned her, and when she got up she was still my pursuer. A second after she got up, the guy she'd been running from came over and killed her. I thought maybe he had thrown knives at her to cause the weirdness, but I haven't ever seen that make anyone fall. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Knives make people fall when they're using sprint boost or charge.

I'm guessing this one was charge if you were blended.

najzere
01-14-2011, 01:10 AM
Actually I realized like two minutes after posting that it was very simple. She just fell down from running into people in the crowd, then got frozen in place with the smoke. Still doesn't explain why I couldn't stun her, but mystery solved. :P

DeanOMiite
01-14-2011, 01:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:

Remember players don't always have the camera facing the direction their character is looking.

Assume every pursuer has 360 degree peripheral vision before trying to surprise them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This this this A THOUSAND TIMES this!

I can't speak for everyone here, but I'm always swiveling my camera around when I either believe my pursuer is near or if I know my target is near. It's harder for a target to surprise a pursuer because the pursuers radar is full and any player who has a clue is looking around feverishly to find you, knowing that you're close. In your example Gyro, the courtesan was almost certainly looking behind her, begging you to approach so she can easily kill you.

I'm a pretty good stunner, easily racking up 5-8 in a game of Wanted and walking up to my pursuers NEVER works. To get my stuns I use abilities, mostly mute, then smoke, then firecrackers. If I'm using a profile that doesn't have these or if the abilities are on cooldown, you're best off having blender as a perk so that, as long as you're in a group anyway, you always have a doppleganger. The doppleganger will make your pursuer hesitate just enough to give him/herself away, at which point you can figure out if you're going to be able to surprise stun them or if you're going to run away.

But as others have said...walking right up to them does not work. Ever. Unless they're clueless.

Bratman Du
01-14-2011, 04:33 AM
It's worth it if you wanna get the challenges for stunning a pursuer. That's how you get advanced versions of mute - I'm currently trying to get rapid reload mute, which means I gotta stun my pursuer during a chase, 66/100 so far. Nobody wants to chase me!