PDA

View Full Version : Laptop & SH 3 question

PapaG39
07-22-2007, 12:45 AM
I finely got my laptop, but it wasn't quite what I had expected.However, It is free so I can spend a few bucks to get it SH 3 qualified.

It is a compaq nc6000 and only has a 1.6ghz processor & the graphics card is the bottom of the barrel ati mobolity radeon 9600.

The cpu & graphics card are below the minimum requirements for the game, but I can upgrade a bit to make it playable if possible.

does anyone with laptop experience have any ideas what or if I can upgrade this particular laptop a bit?

This computer will be ecxclusively for watching a dvd movie once in a while & playing a couple nights a week on sh3. won't even be going online with it.

I installed ms xp pro & haven't even put the sp1 or 2 on because I can't see why I would even need them & they only slow things down anyway...

It's going to be a very clean rig...

PapaG39
07-22-2007, 12:45 AM
I finely got my laptop, but it wasn't quite what I had expected.However, It is free so I can spend a few bucks to get it SH 3 qualified.

It is a compaq nc6000 and only has a 1.6ghz processor & the graphics card is the bottom of the barrel ati mobolity radeon 9600.

The cpu & graphics card are below the minimum requirements for the game, but I can upgrade a bit to make it playable if possible.

does anyone with laptop experience have any ideas what or if I can upgrade this particular laptop a bit?

This computer will be ecxclusively for watching a dvd movie once in a while & playing a couple nights a week on sh3. won't even be going online with it.

I installed ms xp pro & haven't even put the sp1 or 2 on because I can't see why I would even need them & they only slow things down anyway...

It's going to be a very clean rig...

VikingGrandad
07-22-2007, 07:33 AM
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure you'll need SP2 to run SH3.

If you use the forum 'Find' tool to search for 'laptop 9600', you should get some idea of how SH3 might run on your machine.

PapaG39
07-22-2007, 12:42 PM
it runs fine without ms SP2. I believe the service pacs are only so ms can monitor your computer to ses if you paid for your os, plus to try & stop people from breaking into your system.. Since I'm not going on line with it I can't see any reason for it.. however, I may well be wrong...I am quite unknowledgable on the full matter...lol..

Realjambo
07-22-2007, 12:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the graphics card is the bottom of the barrel ati mobolity radeon 9600. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally I am what many would term an 'Nvidia Fanboi' so don't know too much about the ATI range, but if your Radeon 9600 struggles, perhaos you could consider this - Asus make an external graphics card, based on the 7900 series of Nividia cards, for laptops!

Details Here (http://www.trustedreviews.com/graphics/news/2007/01/15/Asus-Makes-First-External-Laptop-Graphics-Card/p1)

PapaG39
07-23-2007, 12:39 AM
Yeah, that looks nice, but I think it will be rather expensive.

I just need to get it a little faster then it is now though. It works fine except when I blow something up, then it comes to a crawl...lol..
I know it won't be like my PC, but that is ok. I just want it to be "fair" when things go boom & smoke a lot...

heck, I had never even turned a laptop on until 2 days ago, so I know absolutely nothing about them or what they are capable of..

barkie1
07-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Hi,

I run SH3 on the same laptop fine, you need to drop the particle option thing to about 40 or 50 in the options menu and that will keep the frame rate at a good rate. Only problem i get is when leaving a port the frame rate drops to about 18 because of all the stuff going on bands, crowds and German destroyers about to ram you but once you get going it comes back up.

Although it's only a 32mb graphics chip it seems to be able to handle most 64mb games fine i have found.

You can also upgrade the memory to 2gb on that laptop. Although the one i use is only 512.

PapaG39
07-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi Barkie1,
thanks for the input..
I already do have 1024 memory,and have all settings to their lowest. A computer shop tech told me that compacq builds these laptops in such a way that you can't upgrade the cpu or graphs card.
According to him it's intel's way of preventing someone from buying a cheaper model & then upgrading to a better operating unit. Doesn't make sense to me, but hey, what do I know...lol...
Anyway, I'll only be using it a couple times a week late at night for a few hours & I'll just put up with the occasional slow downs & have fun anyway.
It plays music & dvd movies very well, and
It is just bearly below specs for SH 3.
It was free to me, so I really can't complain...

I was hoping that I could put a little faster cpu & get a graphs card with 256 memory, but I guess not...bummer...

hetsar
07-26-2007, 01:39 AM
hay just wondering does anyone no how to get an embelm on your u boat on sh3?

VikingGrandad
07-26-2007, 02:35 AM
hetsar - you'd be better off starting a new topic to ask that question, or use the Find tool to search for 'emblem' and I'm sure you'll find the answer? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

hetsar
07-28-2007, 01:28 AM
thanks