PDA

View Full Version : Brand Spanking New

rebelpacket
03-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Hey All,

As the title suggests, I'm brand new to this game. I played the original IL two years and years ago. But I recently picked up Forgotten Battles, and I've been training my butt off on it.

I've been flying on as full real as I can get. The only thing I cant seem to play worth a darn at, is complete full real. (No icons above friendly or enemy planes). I'll jump into a training mission, and I cant see where any of the enemy is. And when I do find a plane and start closing on it, when I finally get close enough for guns, I find out its a friendly!

I've been reading tactics and air-combat techniques all day and night long, honing my flying skills (albiet with a more than a few flat spins after trying to do the "fulke wolf stomp".

Whats the "trick" to idenfiying enemy aircraft, and friend from foe? I'm running fairly high resolution (1600x1200, excelent graphic detail with OpenGL). Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I havnt started playing online yet, as I really want to get formation flying, and combat flying skills as good as I can, so I dont annoy anyone I fly with.

rebelpacket
03-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Hey All,

As the title suggests, I'm brand new to this game. I played the original IL two years and years ago. But I recently picked up Forgotten Battles, and I've been training my butt off on it.

I've been flying on as full real as I can get. The only thing I cant seem to play worth a darn at, is complete full real. (No icons above friendly or enemy planes). I'll jump into a training mission, and I cant see where any of the enemy is. And when I do find a plane and start closing on it, when I finally get close enough for guns, I find out its a friendly!

I've been reading tactics and air-combat techniques all day and night long, honing my flying skills (albiet with a more than a few flat spins after trying to do the "fulke wolf stomp".

Whats the "trick" to idenfiying enemy aircraft, and friend from foe? I'm running fairly high resolution (1600x1200, excelent graphic detail with OpenGL). Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I havnt started playing online yet, as I really want to get formation flying, and combat flying skills as good as I can, so I dont annoy anyone I fly with.

Monty_Thrud
03-03-2006, 10:11 AM
http://premium1.uploadit.org/bsamania//a-welcom.gif

Practice in QMB...you'll learn the shape of enemy AC with time...also try flying in a lower res...you could do with track IR also...you'll feel like an instant ace...have fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Allied_Killer
03-03-2006, 10:14 AM
The "trick" to identifying freind or foe is a simple one, if they shoot at you, it's the enemy, if they don't make UFO moves as soon as you put them square in your sights, then it's the friendly.

Just kidding of course, recognizing the plan outline or the silouette of the enemy airplanes and generous use of the zoom function worked for me pretty well. Also, most of the German planes have bigger dot size from distance than the Allied planes. Other than that it's just practice and experience.

See you online soon http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

BSS_Goat
03-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Tracer color and who's AAA is shooting at it.

gates123
03-03-2006, 10:51 AM
learn to identify silouettes and wing shapes.

Jumoschwanz
03-03-2006, 11:02 AM
I run 1200x1600 in perfect mode on an lcd monitor too, and it is the only way to fly.

I have run the sim at lower resolutions and a group of four planes that you can pick out at distance at 1200x1600 will appear as one blob at lower resolutions, not good information for making a decision on whether to attack or not.

I fly cockpit-on, preferably no icons or outside views, and although I have shot a friendly before, it is only about one a year in online combat. Last year I shot a 109 in an intense furball because it had no markings at all, and this year I shot a 109 because it was on a server with icons and I was unclear about the icon settings. My fault. Only once in the last few years did I shoot a friendly, a 109 from dead six at a distance, to me sometimes the dual radiator outlets on the 109 look like the Spit mk9.

Other than that, with practice and using the zoom view that is by default set to the 'Page Down" key, I have excellent ability to ID the silhouettes of enemy aircraft on full-real servers.
Some of the other tips are good too, note who is taking aaa fire, and note the color of the tracers from this and that plane, and also the number of tracer streams form a plane, some planes will have six to twelve tracer streams, some will only have three or less.

Stick in there, it is the highest art this sim has to offer, to fly full-real and learn all the skills and tricks to be successful at it. ANd it is the most rewarding when it all comes together for you.

S!

Jumoschwanz

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-03-2006, 11:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gates123:
learn to identify silouettes and wing shapes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then map and use your 'zoom-view' prodigiously. It helps considerably as long as you're familiar with markings, silhouettes and profiles.

Other than that...practice. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Stackhouse25th
03-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Join a squadron to get flyin N killin in NO-time!

(shameless plug for VFA-25) :-)

See below:

http://www.VFA25.com

rebelpacket
03-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Hey guys! Wow! Great responses! I guess I'll have to do some serious practicing before I even think of getting online. Shooting down teammates by accident is no way to make friends. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Stackhouse, I appriciate the invite, but I fly mainly german planes. Y'all look like a mainly american based squad. I'd likely be better suited for a Jagdegeschwader squad. especially if I'm flying a Stuka. I'm murder to ground targets in those things. Tough as tanks too!

I can shoot down a "average" skilled pilot 9 out of 10 times, and shoot down both planes in 1v2 fight 5 out of 9 times in practice, but my skill level just isnt there for online play yet. But I'll probrobly join up online this weekend and see how I do. maybe I'll see some of you on?

Thanks again for the warm welcome, I will continue to lurk, in the hopes I dont ask stupid questions that have already been answered!

Taylortony
03-03-2006, 01:07 PM
You really want to get AEP and Pacific Fighters to play it online as most playing online use all 3 merged http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ernst_Rohr
03-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Flying offline does get you good practice at some BFM and practice at fighter id, but online is really a different game.

Target id takes time and practice, and like Jumo mentioned, even the really good folks occassionaly put a burst into the wrong plane. It happens.

I would highly recommend getting a Track IR rig before attempting online though, the difference between have Track IR and using the hotkeys/hat switch is night and day.

Especially for planes with poor pit visibility (like the 109) having that rig makes a world of difference.

rebelpacket
03-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Yikes! 119$ for the TrackIR rig! It looks really sweet, but thats a pretty hefty price!

I suppose its worth it when your serious about sims.

Airmail109
03-03-2006, 02:36 PM
On full real servers your best skill is to know what is happening in the sky around you, check the horrizon and mentally note every dot...dont go after the first one you see....consolidate your position...determine the likelyness of you getting bounced if you attack a bandit...make sure no ones around to jump u when engaging a bandit...check your six constantly...try and only engage with a height/speed advantage....dont get caught up into turning fights...always keep your speed up....never get target fixation.....dont follow an enemy fighter for more than 20 seconds.....never trim rudder out properly...if u get boucned then....theres a good chance the first rounds will miss....never follow an enemy down to the deck, try and get him before...if not break off unless you know your relatively safe from any other threats......hide yourself in clouds...weave in and out of them....hunt you prey......set up an attack so u can hit him then dissapear off into the clouds....use a bit of stealth.....(this is advice for online)...learn about energy tactics....try and fly one type of plane...and learn to maximise its capabilities