PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Logitech joystick

thmalablloo
07-17-2005, 03:01 AM
Hey
I have problems with calibration of my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick.
It has become impossible to fly with, giving quick impulses in all directions.
I havent been able to find any way to calibrate the stick, or any explanation at Logitech...

Anyone else had the same trouble with these stciks?

Regards

thmalablloo
07-17-2005, 03:01 AM
Hey
I havent been able to find any way to calibrate the stick, or any explanation at Logitech...

Regards

msalama
07-17-2005, 03:43 AM
I did, and to my knowledge pretty much everyone else too. My advice is therefore to s**tcan the muhfuh and go get something useful.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but these sticks _are_ really bad...

thmalablloo
07-17-2005, 03:57 AM
OK, thanks
Any recommendations for a new stick?

airdale1960
07-17-2005, 04:02 AM
I have a Logiteck Wingman Force Feedback (as a backup) the twist had to be calibrated on the 1st twist. It worked fine after I figured that out. But, my primary Jstick is an AVB Top Shot Pegasus, much more durable and cost about the same, also stronger FFeedback.

thmalablloo
07-17-2005, 04:16 AM
I've been considering to buy the Saitek X45 as I fly Falcon 4.0, but would allso like to try force-feedback, never tried that before.
One thing i wonder about FF is how the trim works, as in RL when increasing speed you get backward stick pressure, that is countered with trim. You can feel the pressure on the stick is easing of as you increase trim.
Is this how it works in sims too?

airdale1960
07-17-2005, 04:26 AM
It changes with every trim setting especially elevator trim. The Pegasus has a seperate rudder, not a twist handle. I really like the feel when you get fast in a dive, you have to put alot of pressure to bring'er level again. You feel the compressability increase with speed. The Pegasus feels as strong or, stronger in some cases (Compressability), than a Sidewinder Force. The machine guns aren't as strong as the Sidewinder Force.

thmalablloo
07-17-2005, 04:43 AM
The compressability sounds great, but in real life the stick will actually move backwards when you increase speed. And you will have to hold the stick in position, or trim the elevator to ease off the pressure and stay level.
Is this simulated as well, or only the compressability?

airdale1960
07-17-2005, 05:00 AM
You can feel a slight differance, but I do not think it actually moves. I will have to do more tests, I have just recently used the trim. I will do more research on that.

airdale1960
07-17-2005, 05:12 AM
No, I did not see the stick move. I just adjust trim up and down until I'm flying level with no back or forward pressure. With FF I'm more aware of turning to tight, or stalls. Mine scares the he** out of me if I take a hit on my crate. A good jolt from the stick plus the headphones report.

thmalablloo
07-17-2005, 05:27 AM
Cool, you get the vibrations just before stalling?
The reason I havent bought FF-sticks is that I have flown gliders for some years and have heard people say that it doesn't feel like real life, but I think I'll have to try for myself.
Thanks for your replies.

ytareh
07-17-2005, 01:03 PM
Hi Thmalabllo!Well I had a Log.X3d pro and it started not responding after a couple of months .They are notorious for 'bad potentiometers' .So I bought a Saitek Cyborg Evo Platinum.Someone here said comparing the two that the Saitek was like a scapel to the Logitechs blunt butter knife.WRONG!!!I hated the Saiteks limp puny floppy spring which eventually (a month later!)completely failed.And as for the whole 'ambidextrous'(left/right handedness ) thing while ive no wish to upset the ,what,under 10% of lefties Id far prefer a stick that I felt was comfortable in MY hand than knowing that my minority brothers(& sisters!) were being equally catered for!The 'height adjustable' hand rests just dont work either on the Saitek and the trigger is too far from the fingers(similar to the problem many racing cyclists have with brake levers -and its not like I have tiny hands...9-10 shoe size)So what else is there out there ?Well the saitek X45/52s look weird ,one doesnt have a twist grip while the other you have to search out serial numbers to get a good one!!!And most other suggestions "CH/Cougar ?" are serious three figure money .So why not (if ya liked it as a stick when it actually worked)just bring back the Logitech X3d pro and exchange it under warranty for a new one!My (only second one although Ive heard of guys on number 4/5)current one has lasted 4 or 5 months of very intense use.Any others who like this stick have it for more than a month or two!?

horseback
07-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Agree that any CH solution will cost you over $150 USD (their sticks don't have twist rudder, so you must get the Pro Pedals with any stick), BUT they last forever, the software allows you to re-calibrate the controllers to a gnat's @ss, and except for the POV hat on the stick (I used the POV on the Pro Throttle until I got TIR3), everything is well laid out and accessible for those of us blessed with hands too small for playing pro basketball.

If you really love flight simming, CH controllers are an excellent investment. In my first year with Il-2 and Red Baron, I went through a couple of different Logitech sticks, a Microsoft Precision 2, and at least one Thrustmaster.

Since I got the CH CombatStick Pro Pedals and then Pro Throttle (for less than $300-shop around), I've averaged over 15 hours a week on this sim without a problem. None-not any- for almost three years now. That's a pretty good deal, IMHO.

cheers

horseback

jarink
07-17-2005, 04:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thmalablloo:
Hey

Regards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I, like everyone else I've heard about that bought one of these lemons, was so happy the day I dumped it. Actually, I went through two of these sticks, since the wife thought she was doing me a favor getting me a replacement for our anniversary. (Of course, she didn't keep the receipt...)

I went the cheap route and got a Saitek ST290 ($20 at Wal-Mart) recently and have been pretty happy with it. Of course, just about anything would have been an improvement over the 3D Pro!

R_Target
07-17-2005, 04:50 PM
I went through three or four of those Extreme 3D Pro sticks before giving up. It's too bad, because I loved the feel of the stick and the button placement.

Top Gun Fox II Pro (who names these things anyway?)has been a reliable stick for me. From what I've seen, it's the best of the cheapies.

timholt
07-17-2005, 09:22 PM
After going through 2 Logitech sticks in 15 months I went the CH route a couple of years back. A good investment indeed for the serious simmer.

Oilburner_TAW
07-17-2005, 09:55 PM
2yr replacement warranty @ best buy is $8.00. I'm on stick number 6 (just picked it up yesterday) in 8 months. (lol, i'm serious). However, I will get something else sooner or later because taking them back all the time is getting to be a pain.

ytareh
07-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Are the Ch products totally 100% reliable.Dont I read that one of the dearer products("HOTAS Cougar?" or is that just a model) has 'potentiometer' problems too after a year or two.

VF-29_Sandman
07-18-2005, 02:08 PM
i used to have a logitech back in the days of cfs2, and i can practically assure u that they dont last outside of 5-6 months with heavy use. if u are used to twist sticks and would like to move to a hotas set-up, my wingman warlock speaks very highly of the x-52. i have 1 coming thru e-bay right now. the x-45 doesnt have a twist stick; the rudder is on the throttle section, and is extremely difficult to get used to if ur used to twist sticks. he also said that the x-52 will be the last stick u would need to buy. look on e-bay; there is a chance peeps are selling this stick pretty cheap; i got mine for 90 bucks before shipping.
while on e-bay, i decided to look up some rudder pedals, and found a set of ch pedals for like 80 bucks...and snagged track ir 3d pro for 80. deals to be had on e-bay, but avoid logitech sticks at all costs.

horseback
07-18-2005, 02:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
Are the Ch products totally 100% reliable.Dont I read that one of the dearer products("HOTAS Cougar?" or is that just a model) has 'potentiometer' problems too after a year or two. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It may be the Cougar; I've heard very little about pots in CH controllers going south. My CombatStick is as reliable as the day I bought it three years ago this summer.

cheers

horseback