PDA

View Full Version : FFB Sticks - Do they make them ?

dbuff
02-17-2011, 06:56 AM
Had a Logitech force feedback stick for many years, it died and just went looking for a replacement. I dont see sticks out there with FFB. Did they just stop making them?

Other than that - looking for a cheap stick that can get the job done. Prefer twist rudder
with a throttle on the main body, not a seperate unit.

Ideas?

dbuff
02-17-2011, 06:56 AM
Had a Logitech force feedback stick for many years, it died and just went looking for a replacement. I dont see sticks out there with FFB. Did they just stop making them?

Other than that - looking for a cheap stick that can get the job done. Prefer twist rudder

Ideas?

T_O_A_D
02-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Ebay and Microsoft Force Feedback 2

They are quite cheap now days.

Some say the red buttons are better, and they can fetch a larger price.

I've had both and cant tell the difference from a red button from the gray buttons.

So far I've not met anyone that disliked the stick, and most guys once they try it buy some backup sticks.

My red button was used, and lasted 8 years, I'm on a gray button now for about 1 1/2 years.

Metatron_123
02-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Cheap sticks by thrustmaster are flawless in my opinion, not one problem in years of use.

dbuff
02-17-2011, 09:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T_O_A_D:
Ebay and Microsoft Force Feedback 2

. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think works with Window 7?

DD_crash
02-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Yes but you cant use the MS software.

dbuff
02-17-2011, 11:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DD_crash:
Yes but you cant use the MS software. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for dumb question, but do you think in CloD it would allow adjustments.

Not sure what the MS software might be used for.

T_O_A_D
02-17-2011, 11:58 AM
MS software is for making profiles.
In my experience there are not enough buttons to make profiles worth the effort on this stick.

Swivet
02-17-2011, 04:55 PM
I gotta old M$ FF stick....Wont work with XP. Old squaddy sold it to me..Willing to let it go for the cost of shipping if anyone wants it..Otherwise the garbage it will go!

Bearcat99
02-17-2011, 04:58 PM
There is other software (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/3281016436?r=8241098736#8241098736) you can use for making profiles on a MSFFB2 stick.. I think PP Joy will work as well and it is free. I use a profile on my stick.. I think that even though it is limited in buttons there is still a benefit from using a profile. I also beg to differ about the stick not working in XP.. Mine works in XP & XP64.. and Patches' stick works fine in W7... It just works better IMO if you turn off the FFB in the sim and then just let the stick default to the FFB stick forces.. The gunshake and all that stuff I don't use anyway.. but a good FFB (The SFFB2 is the best) stick is better than any mechanical spring setup can ever be.

Swivet
02-18-2011, 12:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
There is other software (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/3281016436?r=8241098736#8241098736) you can use for making profiles on a MSFFB2 stick.. I think PP Joy will work as well and it is free. I use a profile on my stick.. I think that even though it is limited in buttons there is still a benefit from using a profile. I also beg to differ about the stick not working in XP.. Mine works in XP & XP64.. and Patches' stick works fine in W7... It just works better IMO if you turn off the FFB in the sim and then just let the stick default to the FFB stick forces.. The gunshake and all that stuff I don't use anyway.. but a good FFB (The SFFB2 is the best) stick is better than any mechanical spring setup can ever be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the original M$ FF stick, not the 2nd..Doesn't show up in "game controllers" when plugged in..Software wont install.

T_O_A_D
02-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Yeh, swivet the original with gameport doesn't work. Without making modifications.

There is a thread here somewhere that linked to a group that is customizing them. But I can't seem to hit the right search for it.

With XP you can still put in an old gameport sound card and only use the gameport to make that stick work.
I have no idea if it will in win 7

My MFF2 works fine in XP and Win7 here.

Swivet
02-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Rgr that Toad...such a packrat,i just hate tossing out perfectly good hardware.."Throw-away Technology" ya know...lol..I have the adapter that changes the sticks plug from gameport to usb..But still no worky..Will have to check out one of those FFB2 sticks on ebay.

T_O_A_D
02-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Yeh I have two originals laying around, Figuring I can steel the pots, and buttons to keep MFFb2 going. Once things get tough. LOL

And the Adapter never worked, simple as that.

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-18-2011, 01:04 PM
While the old FFB2 is still a great stick, if not the best, there are quite a few FFB sticks out there, the Saitek Cyborg Force, I think Logitech still makes a FFB version of their Wingman sticks, I think Thrustmaster has a FFB stick on the market right now, and Logitech has the G940, who's FFB is great IMO.

T_O_A_D
02-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Not trying to be argumentative, and no one is saying its the best, But it fits the request at hand.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dbuff:

Other than that - looking for a <span class="ev_code_RED">cheap stick</span> that can get the job done. Prefer twist rudder

Ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bearcat99
02-19-2011, 08:30 AM
I said it was the best.. and actually ... as far as FFB sticks (granted this is my opinion.. but I am not alone.. ')) go it is.. at least as far as individual sticks go.. it is better than either offering from Saitek or Logitech.. Having said that though and considering the OP's needs.. I'd say go with the Saitek..

Zeus-cat
02-19-2011, 07:35 PM
I have an MSFFB2 stick and love it. The BEST product ever made by Microsoft in my opinion.

WTE_Galway
02-19-2011, 10:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
I have an MSFFB2 stick and love it. The BEST product ever made by Microsoft in my opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

You have to be very hamfisted to stall with FFB2.

Gunnery can be challenging with big cannon rides though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

dbuff
02-21-2011, 07:58 AM
thanks toad! grabbed one off ebay
- crossing fingers that it works well!
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

T_O_A_D
02-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Great!

My last one cast me 35 shipped, I know a guy that just got one for a dollar, and it works flawlessly for him.

Here's hoping you good fortune also.

Zeus-cat
02-21-2011, 08:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
You have to be very hamfisted to stall with FFB2.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Color me oink then because I have done it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

STENKA_69.GIAP
02-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Yes but it's only got a handle size for gurls and not loads of buttons.

So you take the handle off of a Thrustmaster F16 or F22 gameport stick, graft it onto the MSFF2 add a BU8036 circuit board to handle the buttons...

OK that's 150$ parts on ebay and a day with a soldering iron but...

Trinity_Jay
02-25-2011, 06:16 AM
I have had my MSFS2 for over ten years and love it with my Saitek X45Pro throttle. It's my preferred choice.

I also have the brand new Saitek X65 HOTAS.

Jay