PDA

View Full Version : Screen flicker and white/blue banding

Matt_156
12-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Just picked up Brotherhood last night, and I'm running into the same graphical glitches that I experienced in AC2: namely, screen flicker (a sort of wavey effect in the picture), and this god-awful white and blue band effect, which is manifested as either a huge white or blue rectangle jutting from a tower or a house and stretching across the entire screen, or dozens of little white lines stabbing into one of the characters, usually Ezio.

Are other people experiencing this, and is there a fix on the way?

Matt_156
12-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Just picked up Brotherhood last night, and I'm running into the same graphical glitches that I experienced in AC2: namely, screen flicker (a sort of wavey effect in the picture), and this god-awful white and blue band effect, which is manifested as either a huge white or blue rectangle jutting from a tower or a house and stretching across the entire screen, or dozens of little white lines stabbing into one of the characters, usually Ezio.

Are other people experiencing this, and is there a fix on the way?

Mr_Shade
12-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi There,

The 'Screen Flicker' sounds like your describing screen tearing - this I'm afraid can be caused by either the game, or the TV - you can try setting the console to the screens optimal resolution, or try a different one.

For example a certain game I had did show very bad screen tearing at 1080p - but none at 720p

Screen Tearing is quite common on some games, and if the above does not fix the issue for you, then I'm sorry to say, nothing can alter it.

The 'Banding' sounds a little more serous, since that normally happens when there is a problem with the Consoles graphics chip.

As far as I am aware, this 'banding' is not a common problem, and could be a sign of the console about to fail.

Having said that, you should contact Ubisoft Support, just incase they can offer different advice.

Matt_156
12-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the reply, but I'm certain that this 'banding' issue is unique to the AC series. I first noticed it in AC:2 and it plagued me throughout the many hours I played that game. Now here it is again in Brotherhood. It's never occurred in any other game, and I play a LOT of games on my PS3. I can hardly believe that I'm the only one who is experiencing this. It's such a distinct graphical glitch. Again, it appears as blue or white strip that originates in a piece of architecture (usually a tower) and stretches into the foreground, obscuring most of the screen. The strip/band even has depth; it gets progressively thicker as it nears the foreground. It makes the game nigh-unplayable when it appears and I almost always end up just turning off the console or switching to another game. I'm dying to hear that somebody else has seen this so I know I'm not cursed or insane! It never happened in AC1, btw.

As for the screen flicker, it's not tearing - more like a wavey effect such as old VHS tapes got when you used to have to hit the "tracking" button. Actually, that analogy probably means nothing to most of the young'uns on this forum. Doesn't matter though, the flicker is irrelevant compared to the other issue.

Mr_Shade
12-03-2010, 12:06 PM
I would contact Ubisoft support about the banding - it's the first I have heard of the game doing it, but I'm fairly new to the forums http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The stretching of polygons is a strange thing..

The 'shimmer' may be related to a bad HDMI cable, if it's not the normal 'Animus' glitching your seeing, which as you know is part of the game.

Either way, I would contact Ubisoft Support to put your mind at rest.