PDA

View Full Version : Request for an AT-6

Jack_505th
10-23-2007, 01:04 PM
As I keep dragging friends into this sim with me I have found one class of aircraft that is missing that would be great to have, a dual trainer. I find myself often teaching people to fly that have no flight expierence at all and it would be great to be able to fly the plane while they see how how it should look from inside the cockpit. The idea I had was that control could be passed from one pilot to another similar to how positions are changed in a bomber. The big difference being that both positions are cockpits and the rear pilot has control of the plane and can transfer control to the front and take it back again when needed.

It doesn't need to be a Texan but just any plane in with that type of ability. I have used bombers for it in the past with the guy sitting in the nose but it just isn't the same as the cockpit.

This is strictly a dream of something I would love to see. Even without this, which I'm sure we will never have, this is a really great sim and great to fly.

Salute all.

Jack_505th
10-23-2007, 01:04 PM
As I keep dragging friends into this sim with me I have found one class of aircraft that is missing that would be great to have, a dual trainer. I find myself often teaching people to fly that have no flight expierence at all and it would be great to be able to fly the plane while they see how how it should look from inside the cockpit. The idea I had was that control could be passed from one pilot to another similar to how positions are changed in a bomber. The big difference being that both positions are cockpits and the rear pilot has control of the plane and can transfer control to the front and take it back again when needed.

It doesn't need to be a Texan but just any plane in with that type of ability. I have used bombers for it in the past with the guy sitting in the nose but it just isn't the same as the cockpit.

This is strictly a dream of something I would love to see. Even without this, which I'm sure we will never have, this is a really great sim and great to fly.

Salute all.

PBNA-Boosher
10-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Hello Jack. The subject's been discussed quite a lot here and it was concluded by the developer that the code seemingly won't allow two people to control the same aircraft for such an event. At least, that's what I remember. It is an impossibility for IL2. However, there are hopes that it may be a feature in Oleg's upcoming sim, Battle of Britain. I'm sure if you do a forum search you'll be able to find a number of other threads on the subject.

LEXX_Luthor
10-24-2007, 05:39 AM
I don't know about today (?), but back in WW2, they made real life student pilots go through Ground School. But at least WW2 student pilots had "real life" printed manuals. If you want to help your friends avoid an unpleasant experience, print out the PDF game manual for them. PDF files make poor reading experiences, and its hard to study them, not being able to flip pages and all. Or does Oleg's sims still have a slim paper manual?

If the friends dragged into a sim can't learn by themselves reading the manual, they can't learn from dual control Online "fun" gameplay.

Using a flight sim is so easy, even a reader of the sim's PDF manual -- a social cave person/personette -- can do it...alone.

Jack_505th
10-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the info Boosher. I'll look forward to maybe having this in BoB. Sorry I should have checked the forums more thoroughly than I did.

LEXX_Luthor you are right on the ground training and it does take care of most of it, but I have yet to find a book that will truely teach you how to bring you plane down in one piece that in my expierence is best done by demonstration. Again though I agree that the manual does take care of most of it only exceptions I can think of are Landings and Stall recovery.

Salute all and thanks for your patience with me on this.

Daiichidoku
10-24-2007, 08:47 AM
didnt FB have training missions in it, where one gets "instruction" and is shown how to do something, then is given the controls to try for himself, with an IL2?

that basically IS a tandem seat trainer, without the extra seat http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Petey78
11-08-2007, 05:23 AM
I tend to pick a stable, easy to fly aeroplane, something like a Douglas Dauntless and demonstrate manouvres, then let my friends take my seat whilst I talk them through what they're doing. After that I set up a QMB with C47's as targets and love seeing the concentration on my friends' faces as they blaze away at their targets! I've made a few converts to IL-2 this way. I'd like to have the opportunity to fly some of the trainers though, the Bucker Jungmann or Jungmeister would be great for online aerobatic competitions!

Don_X
11-08-2007, 06:42 AM
A tandem sim-pit maybe?

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-09-2007, 10:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daiichidoku:
didnt FB have training missions in it, where one gets "instruction" and is shown how to do something, then is given the controls to try for himself, with an IL2?

that basically IS a tandem seat trainer, without the extra seat http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are some training tracks but thats all they were, you could not take over and do it yourself, just watch.

StewJW
12-30-2007, 07:48 PM
In Geoffrey Wellum's book the North American T-6 Texan, called the the "Harvard" by the RAF, was said to be a difficult plane to fly and killed many experienced pilots, or was said to "sort out the men from the boys".

BSS_Vidar
01-02-2008, 09:50 PM
If you're wanting to crew up and teach others to fly, try FSX. It allows you to do just that.

If you can wait a little longer, the most intense CFS ever made is close to going beta. "Fighter Ops" will allow you to crew up in aircraft like the T-38 Talon - which will have duel control inputs. The F-15 Strike Eagle is also confirmed - which will allow two players to man up a single jet and coordinate as a crew. More announcements to come on aircraft are expected soon. The big hope for the next announcment right now is the F-14 Tomcat.

V

Firestorm07
01-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Try this: Set up a coop and put your trainee in the pilot seat of an SBD5. You can take the rear gunner's seat and once in game, use the mouse to turn your gun to point at either wingtip. Now move your view further in the same direction using either the numpad or your TIR so that you're looking forward from the back seat... Presto - two seat trainer (or as good as you'll get in this sim.

Granted, you can't shift tandem controls between the trainer and the trainee but hey, better than putting him in the front bomber's seat of an A20 or B25.

LEXX_Luthor
01-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Best to start the friends with Easy settings, no matter how "hardcore" they tell you they are (they are not).

If they refuse Easy settings, start them out with easy to fly aircraft like TB-3 (takes off and lands by itself), IL-2, or perhaps best the D3A which I never could stall when I played the sim.

If the friends dragged into the sim still can't learn with the above help, and they will only start out with P-47Dora, Fw-190Dora, or P-51Dora, then no "dual" control Online gaming fun-plane can help them, and so it would be a waste of the developer's time and resources to develop them for this purpose, unless...

....if the sim goes Pay-To-Play with an extra monthly fee ($) for those wishing to have extra "online fun" with dual control trainers...that would be KEWL from both The Player and The Oleg standpoints.