PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Reality (For What Remains of Us VR Geeks Out There)

Zard0z
08-10-2004, 03:08 PM
For those of us who still use pinch gloves, head mounted displays and head trackers...

This engine rocks with headtracking and HMD's! It offers a depth of field, smoothness of motion and image quality that most true 3-D graphics engines cannot provide. Very real feeling with this setup; beautiful image quality. Can I say, "Wow!"? Would I rather full movement? Yes, but that's just not possible yet so I can like this just fine.

This game doesn't like the pinch glove. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

As I did with URU, I am hoping that POV and mouse control will be adapted to allow for independant movement. There doesnt seem to be any support for mapping the cursor controls to other devices, a joystick possibility might lend some hope...

It seems a shame that that hovering hand can't be accompanied by some actual hand movements. It would add to the immersiveness of the experience and make a great game even better!

Also keep in mind that prices on these devices are getting cheaper every 2 quarters, they are falling into the range of accessibility of the average consumer who may soon start to embrace the concept of VR again now that a rig can be had for under 1,000 dollars...

Zard0z
08-10-2004, 03:08 PM
For those of us who still use pinch gloves, head mounted displays and head trackers...

This engine rocks with headtracking and HMD's! It offers a depth of field, smoothness of motion and image quality that most true 3-D graphics engines cannot provide. Very real feeling with this setup; beautiful image quality. Can I say, "Wow!"? Would I rather full movement? Yes, but that's just not possible yet so I can like this just fine.

This game doesn't like the pinch glove. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

As I did with URU, I am hoping that POV and mouse control will be adapted to allow for independant movement. There doesnt seem to be any support for mapping the cursor controls to other devices, a joystick possibility might lend some hope...

It seems a shame that that hovering hand can't be accompanied by some actual hand movements. It would add to the immersiveness of the experience and make a great game even better!

Also keep in mind that prices on these devices are getting cheaper every 2 quarters, they are falling into the range of accessibility of the average consumer who may soon start to embrace the concept of VR again now that a rig can be had for under 1,000 dollars...

Srikandi
08-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Cool, Zard0z!

Sri's Relto (http://members.cox.net/srikandi/Uru/)

Elbasunu
08-11-2004, 12:38 AM
Man..that just blows my mind with awesomeness....I....I would LOVE to play this game with a headset. MAN!! I never even THOUGHT of it!

Did your set take well to Exile?

Daniel from Atrus Shard.

Zard0z
08-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Im afraid I left the series after Myst, TR Myst and Riven. URU Lured me back in because it appealed to my immersion fetish. Between URU and Myst 4, I think all bases are covered for now. Looks like I'm staying awhile. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

There's a few headsets to choose from, the I-Glasses refresh rate is the most appealing in its price catagory. An I-Visor can be found (on ebay) for around 350, it gives true 800 x 600 x 3(Be sure it says 144 million pixels when considering resolution) at 85hz whereas the i-glasses provide the same res and 100 - 120 hz (depending on model). Of course they cost a little more...

Coming out later this year are the Leadtek X-Eye and the X-Viewer, both have apparently better ergonomics, slightly better fov and a new display technology that is supposed to be the sharpest yet AND they will come in around the 500$ range.

I wouldnt be too afraid of low red HMD's either. Some tote an image quality similar to the viewer of a camcorder (looking at a laptop screen through it didn't look that bad at all, text would be unreadable though).

LazerFX
08-16-2004, 01:54 PM
Don't these things weigh a ton though? I remember playing a racing car game with a VR helmet back at the Win2001 show, and it was like your head weighed twice as much... most unergonomic...

Gatch_2000
08-16-2004, 02:43 PM
i'm wondering... how does Myst4 create a 3D effect on a VR set if it's prerendered? - are there two sets of slightly different images for every location, literally one for each eye... or is it faked somehow?

Gareth

Zard0z
08-16-2004, 05:07 PM
Without true 3d information, I dont think that stereo drivers will work with this. I tweaked around with the immersion effect, which mimics the way objects blur slightly as they move closer or further or pass from your center of focus. It produced a reasonable simulation and I didn't miss having the 3d effect very much at all. The quality of the image and smoothness of motion are already leaps ahead of true 3d engines. With distractions like alias lines and jittering removed, the immersive experience is definitely enhanced.

Zard0z
08-23-2004, 03:59 PM
As to the weight of these devices, they really are comparatively light compared to ones from the nineties. I think the model I have weighs in at about 8 ounces. The only complaint I have is that the weight is not distibuted very evenly, it tends to exert quite a bit of pressure directly on the forhead, I remedied this with some extra velcro straps and a larger pad for the forhead rest. The models due out later this year look more comfortable and better thought out. Ill post here again when I hear more about their release.

LazerFX
08-25-2004, 12:27 PM
Mmmm... please do. I'm always interested in new ways to immerse myself in the computer. Do these devices have inbuilt head tracking, or do you have to do that manually?

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
LazerFX /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
Mystaholic Computer Geek____________________ |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\______
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'---''(_/--' (_/-'~~~~~~</pre>