PDA

View Full Version : Please insert correct DVD-ROM

TimelordDC
08-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Hello All,

I just got the Assassin's Creed PC version from Amazon and after installing, auto-patched it. When I try to start it, it says "Please insert correct DVD-ROM...".

Any thoughts on this?

TimelordDC
08-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Hello All,

I just got the Assassin's Creed PC version from Amazon and after installing, auto-patched it. When I try to start it, it says "Please insert correct DVD-ROM...".

Any thoughts on this?

Skybox
08-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Are you sure is the disc inside the optical device? If so, this is really strange. The game cannot confirm whether the disc is authentic aka the game thinks the disc is an illegal copy. I would like to see the disc photographs, both sides. It would be most disturbing to find out that Amazon is selling illegal copies, but let's not jump to conclusions. I cannot help you until you give me more information about the disc and your system.

TimelordDC
08-02-2008, 11:01 AM
My system specs -
Windows XP SP2, 2 GB RAM, 8800 GTS with 320 MB. The initial check by the game said my system met the requirements for the game.
I have been doing some searching on other forums and found that the PC version has an issue with SATA DVD drives. Is this true?
I have a Lite-On SATA DVD drive so if the above is true, then that is a real problem.

I'll upload photos soon though I checked and the disc does look legit (I didn't buy from the Marketplace but directly from Amazon).

BTOG46
08-02-2008, 11:41 AM
The problem with SATA seems to be more in the way your drive is reported to Windows, some motherboard bios report SATA as SCSI drives, and this can cause a conflict with the copy protection, as most copy protection software regards a SCSI drive as a virtual drive, created by disc copying/imaging software, and that can cause the protection to think you're using a copied disc, or an ISO disc image, hence the message to insert the original disc.
There may be an option in the bios to change the drive mode, so that you can change it to ATA/IDE, if not, usually the only way round it, is to fit an IDE drive and use that to run the game from, or, if your motherboard and the drive both have IDE connectors as well as SATA, you could get an IDE cable and try connecting the drive that way instead of with the SATA connector.

TimelordDC
08-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks BTOG46.
I'll try to get a cheap IDE drive somewhere and give the game another try (though this is not a satisfactory way to implement copy-protection since the motherboard internals are not known to PC users in general and SATA drives are the latest in the market)