PDA

View Full Version : YP-80

3.JG51_BigBear
04-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Hello everybody. I'm new to the forums, finally joining after thoroughly enjoying IL2, FB, and AEP for the last three years now. I've been watching the forums for some time and I thought I'd finally say hello.

The real reason for the post though is to ask what you guys think of the P-80's performance. I've always loved the design of the plane and haven't looked at another jet since I first found out that my grandfather flew them in Korea. I just feel that the FM might be a little too easy. The stall speed seems far to low and maneuverability does seem a bit unbelievable.

I'm going to continue flying her just because I think she's one of the prettiest things in the air and Gibbage did a fantastic job with her but I'm kind of just looking for a second opinion.

Thanks

3.JG51_BigBear
04-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Hello everybody. I'm new to the forums, finally joining after thoroughly enjoying IL2, FB, and AEP for the last three years now. I've been watching the forums for some time and I thought I'd finally say hello.

The real reason for the post though is to ask what you guys think of the P-80's performance. I've always loved the design of the plane and haven't looked at another jet since I first found out that my grandfather flew them in Korea. I just feel that the FM might be a little too easy. The stall speed seems far to low and maneuverability does seem a bit unbelievable.

I'm going to continue flying her just because I think she's one of the prettiest things in the air and Gibbage did a fantastic job with her but I'm kind of just looking for a second opinion.

Thanks

Aflak
04-02-2004, 06:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigBear84:

Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The P-80 goes so fast that any aircraft that is built not to break up at those speeds and to have controls that don't get to heavy at those speeds can turn extremely quickly.

The P-51 flies much like the P-80, how fast you whip it around is based only on when your pilot blacks out.

I don't know much about the roll rate, but I assume it is accurate.

Its about as fast as the 162, I think it doesn't climb as well, but i choose the P-80 in a pitched dogfight, just because the huge disparity in roll rates.

Again, I never flew one, but it feels accurate, and you are the first person to say anything, and you only have a gut feeling, so I assume that the community feels it is accurate, too.

I love flying it.

FW190fan
04-02-2004, 06:44 PM
All of the flight models are a bit too easy IMO, not just the P-80.

http://people.aero.und.edu/~choma/lrg0645.jpg

VW-IceFire
04-02-2004, 07:05 PM
I've read and heard that the roll rate was definately in the same range as the FW190's. As far as stall speed and elevator ability go I have no idea....its certainly the most manuverable of the jets available.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"