04-25-2006, 08:37 PM
the most common setup for posters on this forum is pretty likely to be:

- joystick
- pedals
- HOTAS throttle
- and sometimes trackIR

ImpStarDuece
04-25-2006, 08:52 PM
I fly with a basic 3 axis joystick and the keyboard. I'm hanging out to get a full CH HOTAS set up though.

Retrofit
04-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
the most common setup for posters on this forum is pretty likely to be:

- joystick
- pedals
- HOTAS throttle
- and sometimes trackIR

Track IR is the heat! Wow, what a difference in immersion...

han freak solo
04-26-2006, 11:40 AM
joystick
pedals
TrackIr
beer holder (a left handed throttle would impede my beer placement)

bburns1959
04-27-2006, 06:15 AM
Is having pedals a major improvement over the stick twist? The pedals aren't cheap, like $100 or so and I don't want to put out that kind of money and find there is no difference.
How bout you guys who had just a stick and then added the pedals?

Thanks,
Bob

Pig_Mac
04-27-2006, 07:27 AM
HOTAS cougar
TrackIR4
Awful steering wheel pedals as rudder pedals.

There is a LOT of difference between real rudder pedals and Twisties. Steering wheel pedals are pretty ok, but Painful to the legs/knees after half a day of continious flying (at least for me and my MOMO pedals)

If you're really used to using the Twistie It's not much difference from Steering wheel pedals. I used The MSFFB2 twister for quite a few years, as rudder, and were pretty good at it.

han freak solo
04-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by bburns1959:
Is having pedals a major improvement over the stick twist? The pedals aren't cheap, like $100 or so and I don't want to put out that kind of money and find there is no difference.
How bout you guys who had just a stick and then added the pedals?

Thanks,
Bob

I was a twisty stick guy up 'til patch 4.0 came out it in this game. That was nearly a year ago, I think. The twisty worked with every sim I had played up to then.

The CH pedals I bought were the priciest item I had bought up to that point just for a "game".

They were hard to get used to, but they do simulate using real pedals in a real aircraft. Once I got used to mine (about 1-2 weeks) I couldn't imagine going back to using just a twisty.

The improvements I noticed were:

-Improved "ground" handling and takeoff roll.

-Easier aiming since the stick isn't jerked out of position when you apply rudder.

-Better control for aircraft without adjustable rudder trim in the game.

If you pony-up for a set of pedals you will also have to figure out what sensitivity settings will work for you. It's easy to over control the rudder with big clodhoppin' feet since there is no pressure feedback.

Do a search on pedals in this forum. You'll find lots of advice.

BurningBeard
04-27-2006, 01:47 PM
I have a Thrustmaster Afterburner Force Feedback stick that has a separate handle for the throttle (I guess a hotas setup?) Anywho, the stick can be twisted or locked in place and the throttle has a rocker on the front of it (where your index and second finger naturally lay) that can be used as a rudder also. I find the rocker very easy to use, and it doesnt interfere like the twist does. This is the easiest set up I have used so far, and I have had a set of rudder pedals in the past. Unfortunately they would not set up with a USB rig.

Beard

NonWonderDog
04-27-2006, 05:40 PM
I've got an X-52, I'm waiting for the Saitek rudder pedals. I anticipate them to be just as much bang for the buck as their HOTAS systems, and I don't expect to be disappointed.

I guess I'll know after E3, on May whatever.

MucusG
04-27-2006, 06:18 PM
I use a Logitech FF stick (yea I know they are meant to break real fast but so far so good!), homemade rudder pedals, homemade trimbox and a bit of keyboard.

Nothing like the satisfaction of flying with some stuff that you made, really cheap too.

Wife said I can get trackIR 4 for my birthday http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bearcat99
04-27-2006, 07:13 PM
<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">H</span>ands <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">O</span>n <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">T</span>hrottle <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">A</span>nd <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">S</span>tick.. MSFFB2, Modified Saitek X-45, CH Rudder Pedals & Track IR.

Specifically this.....
http://x10.putfile.com/4/9600393697.jpg

notamuppet
04-29-2006, 11:07 AM
X52 trackIR home made pedals http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Ernst_Rohr
04-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Saitex X52
Track IR
Ergodex DX1

Pedals are next, looking at Simped, or may hold off and check out the Saitek's.