PDA

View Full Version : CV Taxi-backs



JTFM
03-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Hello.

Just installed 1946 (patched to 4.08) and noticed I cannot taxi around the CV decks. I can turn maybe thirty degrees left/right of centerline, but that's it. No amount of power, differential power and/or differential braking will enable me to turn a plane 180 degrees to taxi to the rear of the deck to takeoff again after landing. (Yes, I've released chocks.) CV speed seems not to matter.

Is this the way it is now, or am I overlooking something?

Any info/assistance appreciated.

JTFM
03-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Hello.

Just installed 1946 (patched to 4.08) and noticed I cannot taxi around the CV decks. I can turn maybe thirty degrees left/right of centerline, but that's it. No amount of power, differential power and/or differential braking will enable me to turn a plane 180 degrees to taxi to the rear of the deck to takeoff again after landing. (Yes, I've released chocks.) CV speed seems not to matter.

Is this the way it is now, or am I overlooking something?

Any info/assistance appreciated.

FritzGryphon
03-25-2007, 10:07 PM
If the carrier is moving, the relative airflow will make your plane weathercock toward the wind. On a stationary carrier, there should be no problem.

I've found you can overwhelm this tendency, though. If you stop and hold the brake, and apply full power along with rudder, you should be able to spin around 180 degrees. Hold back elevator or you'll faceplant.

Alternately, you can fire the guns to move backwards.

Waldo.Pepper
03-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Got track? Well yes I do!

decklandingdoofus
http://www.zshare.net/download/decklandingdoofus-ntrk.html

From Zeuscat's training campaign. Mission 16 I think.

Can't believe I didn't break the plane on the 2nd landing.

BillyTheKid_22
03-25-2007, 10:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
Got track? Well yes I do!

decklandingdoofus
http://www.zshare.net/download/decklandingdoofus-ntrk.html

From Zeuscat's training campaign. Mission 16 I think.

Can't believe I didn't break the plane on the 2nd landing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>



Cool!! zshane!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JTFM
03-25-2007, 11:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
If the carrier is moving, the relative airflow will make your plane weathercock toward the wind. On a stationary carrier, there should be no problem.

I've found you can overwhelm this tendency, though. If you stop and hold the brake, and apply full power along with rudder, you should be able to spin around 180 degrees. Hold back elevator or you'll faceplant.

Alternately, you can fire the guns to move backwards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for that input. I thought the problem might be weathervaning, but I didn't want to believe the sim would be that unrealistic.

As I wrote previously, I've tried full power/full brake/full rudder--nada. I even tried a MiG-9 with full power on left engine/right engine off/full right brake/full right rudder--nada. And this can't overcome a thirty knot relative wind? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Ah, well. Nothing is perfect, and this sim is still loads of fun. Getting the IL-2T off/on static carriers is far more exciting, anyway!

stathem
03-26-2007, 01:35 AM
I suppose it depends on the plane and on how long you've got, but I found that you can release the chocks on a moving carrier and the plane will roll backwards with the resistance to the air. Takes a long while thou'.

Waldo.Pepper
03-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Pardon me JTFM - but this sounds like you think what you describe cannot be done. (the oh well part especially)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As I wrote previously, I've tried full power/full brake/full rudder--nada. I even tried a MiG-9 with full power on left engine/right engine off/full right brake/full right rudder--nada. And this can't overcome a thirty knot relative wind? Roll Eyes

Ah, well. Nothing is perfect, and this sim is still loads of fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watch this! deck landing with Mig9 on Essex, with turn around and takeoff. The full cycle!

http://www.zshare.net/download/il2familyguydontmix-ntrk.html

BTW if you watch it till the end it is proof that Il2 and Family Guy don't mix.
Brian distracted me!

JTFM
03-27-2007, 02:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
Watch this! deck landing with Mig9 on Essex, with turn around and takeoff. The full cycle!

http://www.zshare.net/download/il2familyguydontmix-ntrk.html

BTW if you watch it till the end it is proof that Il2 and Family Guy don't mix.
Brian distracted me! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Waldo. Indeed, watched the entire track. Thought, "I'll be a sonofa#$@$%", fired up the sim, and had at it. Same results. Finally, I had the brainstorm to lower flaps and then taxi-back--bingo! Now I can taxi around the Mig-9 and the P-80 (grabbed a great skin for that to make it look like an F9F) without problems.

STILL can't get the IL-2T to taxi back, no matter how I have the airplane configured. At least on the Akagi, that is. Haven't tried yet on an Essex or Lexington, if that'll make any difference.

Regardless, many thanks!