PDA

View Full Version : IL2/FB in-game sounds are the worst?

Lt.Bull
07-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Hello,

I have long thought that the sounds in IL2/PF are of a quality FAR BELOW the rest of the game, and definitely far below the quality you can find in other games.

Engines dont sound grunty, but buzzy. And the sounds of MGs sound like they were sampled from a Commodore64 (well not exactly). It really is a shame that they hadn't improved the sounds in the game to a respectable level from when IL2 first came out.

One of the worst handled sounds in the game are the ones relating to damage to your own plane. There is little variation in it. Sometimes it is hardly noticable or even non-existant.

Why is this the case?

Lt.Bull
07-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Hello,

I have long thought that the sounds in IL2/PF are of a quality FAR BELOW the rest of the game, and definitely far below the quality you can find in other games.

Engines dont sound grunty, but buzzy. And the sounds of MGs sound like they were sampled from a Commodore64 (well not exactly). It really is a shame that they hadn't improved the sounds in the game to a respectable level from when IL2 first came out.

One of the worst handled sounds in the game are the ones relating to damage to your own plane. There is little variation in it. Sometimes it is hardly noticable or even non-existant.

Why is this the case?

Atomic_Marten
07-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Gun sound could be better and also engine sound.

Better engine sounds are in IL-2 demo. Of all effects, sounds are the ones that game are lacking the most.
Other aspects are awesome IMO (especially if we consider the fact that engine is old).

Bearcat99
07-20-2005, 10:00 PM
What kind of speakers do you guys have? I know it doesnt sound like .... the engine that runs whenyou start IL2 Manager.. (Now wouldnt THAT be great...) but I dont know about the worst ever..... but hey.... I'm a Fanman....

VW-IceFire
07-20-2005, 10:12 PM
It sounds very good hear...but it does feel very stale and not like the real planes.

Compared to the latest games, the sounds here are not nearly as good. I was amazed by Battlefield 2 actually...the sound of machine gun fire in the distance ricocheting off a metal barricade I was hiding behind. Totally convincing.

When it comes to sound, realistic sound is good, but some attention to detail is required and its not quite there. Creaking airplane, proper engine sounds (in and outside), better gun effects (the .50cal has to be the worst), better impact sounds, and the like can be used in future iterations.

I have no fantasies about having the current game upgraded. But I expect the next one to really step upto the plate a bit more with the sound.

A Merlin better sound close to a Merlin. I've heard them in the air...I can pick one out several KM away so I'll know when I hear it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AerialTarget
07-20-2005, 11:10 PM
As I've said before, the engine sounds are a complex deal, but the gun sounds are inexcuseable. The only factor that changes those is doppler, and that does not make it difficult to have good sounds.

Look at Operation Flashpoint. Not only does it have doppler, but the speed of sound is taken into effect, too. You can customize your sounds there, and I have real gun sounds. Why doesn't Oleg use real gun sounds?

Kuoster
07-20-2005, 11:31 PM
Agreed, Varius sounds in the game can be just flat-out weak and poorly done.

Arent there any 3rd party sound Mods to replace the Defaults?

NonWonderDog
07-20-2005, 11:47 PM
My hard drive just offed itself, so I had to reinstall everything to a new drive. Now, the sound effects in my new installation of IL-2:FB+AEP+PF are *drastically* different. It somehow sounds much better now than it did before. My install now sounds a lot like I remember the old IL-2 demo sounding, whereas on the old drive engine sounds were always very muffled. The sound engine seems to be incredibly finicky like that; what you hear on one computer is not necessarily what you will hear on another.

I was able to recover most everything from the old drive, in case you were wondering. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif It was an odd failure, though. The drive is still in my system, but reading data from it leads to random lockups and several files (including many system files) are corrupt. Hopefully it will reformat, but it doesn't look good.

BanaBob
07-21-2005, 12:12 AM
I really enjoy this sim but I was just talking about the mediocre sounds the other day, sound is very important to me in games and movies. Is there a way to redo them? I've tweaked, bought a better sound card and speakers and still they are subpar. Other than that, sweet sim.

Fighterduck
07-21-2005, 03:07 AM
Agree...Il2 isn't a "chef d'oeuvre" how the others aspects of the game.
The engine sound doesn't give to me the sensation of power...don't know how to explain it..but i you ever have ever seen a real WW2 bird fliyng you know what I mean.
Another aspect that i "hate" are the turrets sound...those aren't gun sounds!You have not the feeling of using a "real" machine gun.

But...for the reset...perfect!

stansdds
07-21-2005, 04:34 AM
Sound quality is a disappointment with IL2 and is the one area where CFS really shines. Unfortunately, the sound in IL2 is part of the game engine and cannot easily be changed, so we are stuck with it. Hopefully, Battle of Britain will be better.

CrazySchmidt
07-21-2005, 05:04 AM
The sound in the original IL-2 was beautiful, but they totally porked it with later releases.

I agree, it is definitely the low point of the Sim.

Cheers, CrazySchmidt. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Atomic_Marten
07-21-2005, 05:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
(the .50cal has to be the worst) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He he I disagree - ShKaS are the worst for my ears. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I can't stop laughin' when I jump in the TB3 gun position; I mean I should hear that machine gun pretty nice and clear, but i hear *SSSSSSSS...SSSSSSS..SSSSSSSSSSSS*.http://free-vk.t-com.hr/domagoj/smileys/gun.gif
The sound isn't get enough attention in this sim that must be it. Other than that I fail to see any other reason why better sounds weren't introduced.

On the other hand in IL-2 Demo check out the sound of some aircraft for example Me-109G-2 - beautiful whizzling sound just like the real thing when you cut the throttle..

tsactuo
07-21-2005, 06:16 AM
I think the sounds are not arcade. The sound in the original il2, where somewhat arcade. You could hear plane's engines behind you easily, also the guns were very loud. In reallity I don't think that it should be like that. From pilot interviews , they say that you couldn't hear enemy planes at all. As for the guns. Guns sounds seem ok to me. The only unrealistic part for me is that as long as you fire, the engine sound is lowered.

stubby
07-21-2005, 06:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stansdds:
Hopefully, Battle of Britain will be better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the most famous elements of BoB was the fact the Spits/Hurricanes were equipped with the legendary Merlin engines. It would be criminal for 1C to use any close to the sound engine currently being used by Il2 to generate the beautiful sounds of a Merlin in that game. They really need to invest a good deal of resources into generating immersive sounds. Sound is on par with visuals in terms of immersion.

On a related note, news of the recent crash of Red 7 (Bf-109G2) has been circulated. Along with that, somebody actually posted a video showing the run up, take-off, fly bys and landing of the 109 with a refurg original Benz engine. Let's just say that Il2 sound in this department is embarrasing when compared to what I heard in that video. Like another guy said, basic midi sounds generated on my Commodore back in the early 80s sounded better than Il2. Let's just hope they realize how much a sim can be hurt by having cheese sound effects.

DmdSeeker
07-21-2005, 10:45 AM
The weird thing is; that the sounds in the original IL-2 were so good (especially the 109)!

Every thing else has been improved over the years; but the sound has degraded http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

MiamiEagle
07-21-2005, 11:07 AM
I agree the sound could be improved I have always say that. Lets give them credit when credit is due and it has improve with new patches or I have gottten used to it.

I would like to hear more realistic AAA and a Sound upgrade package but I can live with Sound quality it already has.

Whats it more important to me is that they give us more Pacific planes and Maps for the Pacific. That way we can finnish this serie on high class degree of satisfaction.

Miamieagle

BrotherVoodoo
07-21-2005, 12:47 PM
I also wish to see the sound addressed. This sim is so great that it is really a shame not to have good quality sounds. For sure it is the games biggest weakness.
Make the sounds customizeable like in OFP. Man, I have a soundpack for it with all real weapons and it is unbelievable! It makes all of the difference in the world.

jetsetsam
07-21-2005, 03:00 PM
I used to think the sound was bad. I had no idea that 109's were built with sewing machine engines until I started playing this game.

Then for no reason I set the sound to Sensaura even though my Plantronics DSP 500 headset is not a Sensaura rig.

And Wow. The 3d sound world opened up and planes are wooshing past me, rounds clang through the plane and the flack bursts really do come close to making you mess yourself. Now when I start up a p 47 I heard that deep rumble and farting that I've heard in sound recording. I can even hear the sound fluttering off the edge of the open canopy when I turn my head side to side.

So your experience of the sounds could be the result of your settings and/or your equipment.

Stackhouse25th
07-21-2005, 03:16 PM
listen up folks, i am the man i know everything.

The reason you are experiencing these sound problems is because they never expected the game to be this succesful. If they had intended it to be, im sure they would have spent more time on it. dont forget UBI SOFT just like some other publishers, demand that the product be put out on the market almost immediately as you can play it.

Kuoster
07-21-2005, 04:16 PM
So the sounds in PF/IL2 are built into the engine and cannot be modded by 3rd party simmers?

A real pitty.

Spook57
07-22-2005, 01:04 AM
In my previous incarnation, as a CFS3 pilot, (on the DarkSide) it was possible to replace the sounds.xml and associated .wav files with custom made sounds. Some clever people sampled real engine, gun, ambience etc sounds and created an alternative sounds set. Is this possible in PF? Because the sounds, in my opinion, are the only thing that let this awesome game down.

~S~
Spook

FritzGryphon
07-22-2005, 01:53 AM
No. The extent of sound modability is the inflight music.

Which, to offer a dissenting opinion, is a very good thing for multiplayer consistancy. Imagine what advantage could be gained by eliminating or changing the volume of certain sounds.

LeadSpitter_
07-22-2005, 02:24 AM
enjoy the synth sound engine in bob also

Nero111
07-22-2005, 03:28 AM
The sound in IL2 right from Sturmo days was never very good, seems to be one area that the devs have left alone.
Overall the IL2 series is still tops in my book though

Atomic_Marten
07-22-2005, 07:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LeadSpitter_:
enjoy the synth sound engine in bob also </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://free-vk.t-com.hr/domagoj/smileys/buzzsaw.gif

synth?LMAo.

AerialTarget
07-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Yes, it's synthesized. You don't really think those are recordings, do you?

Atomic_Marten
07-23-2005, 05:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AerialTarget:
Yes, it's synthesized. You don't really think those are recordings, do you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://free-vk.t-com.hr/domagoj/smileys/taz.gif it is sad that you know what will be in BoB and I don't.
Really sad. I'm gonna cry now. Yes.

Please if you tell me more about BoB code I will give you http://free-vk.t-com.hr/domagoj/smileys/love_1.gif .

http://free-vk.t-com.hr/domagoj/smileys/deadtired.gif

Hoatee
07-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Also don't like the sounds that much - WWIIonline has good sounds for their aircraft. 'Even' BF1942 has better sounds.

And then (to my ears) it sounds like they've used one and the same sound for all the Axis aircraft and then a different sound for all the Allied Aircraft.

But, no matter, for me it's not a major gripe.

Siwarrior
07-24-2005, 07:40 AM
I would pay for a sound upgrade http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Bolt40
07-24-2005, 06:52 PM
You'd think the attention to detail they profess to have in here , they'd at least try to do something with the engine sounds , I get a kick outta people talking about 1c rejecting a plane because something wasn't right , but yet he lets a Spitfire or Pony get released with a lawnmower engine sound , and all the FW's , 109's , 111's , F4u's , F4f's A6m's . P47's . La series to name a few..SOUND THE FREAKIN SAME !!!!!!!!! ok..prozac time http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

heywooood
07-24-2005, 07:59 PM
it would be nice if they would pull the muffler and go with a straight pipe or a glasspack...that adjustment alone would make the engine sounds better, not authentic...but better.

The I-16 had a short exaust pipe out of EACH cylinder head...no collection ring..just a short, straight pipe. It had a wicked loud pop at idle and a deep roar at max throttle, be sure.

The Wildcat should be almost as deep and loud as the Moska.
It is a shame that so many of the various planes in this sim have exactly the same engine sound and pitch.

AerialTarget
07-25-2005, 02:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heywooood:
it would be nice if they would pull the muffler and go with a straight pipe or a glasspack...that adjustment alone would make the engine sounds better, not authentic...but better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But, that would mean that they would not only need to re-record the lawnmower sounds, but they would have to modify both lawnmowers first! Plus there's the expense of the new mufflers. It's just not worth it.