PDA

View Full Version : OT:Art Prints

polak5
07-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Ive seen people mention art prints on this forum. To those who own them i was wondering what is the best framing to go with. Should i just go to a retail store and get some cheap frame with plastic cover.. Or would it preserve better on a glass frame...
Thx for replies.
Polak

polak5
07-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Ive seen people mention art prints on this forum. To those who own them i was wondering what is the best framing to go with. Should i just go to a retail store and get some cheap frame with plastic cover.. Or would it preserve better on a glass frame...
Thx for replies.
Polak

Jagdgeschwader2
07-14-2006, 04:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by polak5:
Thx for replies.
Polak </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do not cut costs on cheap framing. I took all my prints to a professional framer and it's well worth the extra cost. They use acid free paper to matt the print and there is also an airspace between the glass and the print. The print should never touch the glass. Be advised that framing is often more expensive than the print.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jagdgeschwader2s.jpg

Crimea_River
07-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Also look for quality glass. You can get clear or some with a sight matt finish that will lessen reflection or glare if you're shining spot lights on your print. Glass can also provide UV protection - a must if your print will see sunlight.

MO_JOJO
07-15-2006, 03:11 AM
I prefer Lexan over glass; it's lighter, shatter resistant, and you can cut it yourself with a tablesaw & fine-tooth blade. However, it costs more.

As far as the framing material, it's a matter of preference and budget. BTW, another advantage of Lexan (acrylic has this benefit as well) is that it allows you to use even plastic frames without adding the stress that a large sheet of glass puts on the bottom corners of frames.

polak5
07-16-2006, 01:53 AM
thx for the feedback
I took in the print today and got an estimate. becouse of the odd dimensions of the print everything has to be custom made. Got lucky tho, next week they have a sale soo im geting half off on the frame, that saved me 50 bucks on the frame i want. Soo im geting the frame, acid free mid blue mat and glass to cover it since it wont be seeing any sun or hard light.
Thx for the replies i appreciate it.