PDA

View Full Version : Things that go POP on an Il-2

ROXunreal
07-04-2009, 08:45 AM
When shooting many Il-2 versions you can see stuff "popping" or exploding from it when you score a hit, what is that, some kind of reactive armor?

ROXunreal
07-04-2009, 08:45 AM
When shooting many Il-2 versions you can see stuff "popping" or exploding from it when you score a hit, what is that, some kind of reactive armor?

DuxCorvan
07-04-2009, 09:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ROXunreal:
When shooting many Il-2 versions you can see stuff "popping" or exploding from it when you score a hit, what is that, some kind of reactive armor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's just your HE ammo exploding when hits.

ROXunreal
07-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Nope, happens only when I shoot IL-2's, with any plane

Trefle
07-04-2009, 09:47 AM
The sim was initially focused on the Il-2 , so chances are you see it only wth the Il-2 cause they probably didn't change this "flash" effect since the early days of the sim , just speculation though

FI.Spitsfire
07-04-2009, 09:59 AM
I believe it's supposed to be the bullets being deflected from the armour, not sure why we don't get it on other planes, would be nice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VW-IceFire
07-04-2009, 10:00 AM
The front section of the IL-2 is unique in that its a couple of complete pieces of solid armour moulded around the engine and pilot area. If you're seeing white streaks thats the ricochet of some of your smaller bullets bouncing off of the armour.

This effect can sometimes happen on other planes but since the IL-2 is the only one to have such a complete piece of armour its the only time you're really going to see it happen frequently.

slipBall
07-04-2009, 10:27 AM
IL-2...the flying tank

DKoor
07-04-2009, 10:34 AM
IL-2's regularly burst into some weird ricochet debris every time it hits the ground.
Check it out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

I've rarely seen that effect on some other planes... I think I saw it on FW-190 & Tempest, but I'm not exactly sure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

Friendly_flyer
07-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I saw that the other day when my IL10 went out of fuel and I had to jump. I thought it was intended to show the magazine exploding on impact.

K_Freddie
07-04-2009, 03:24 PM
I have a pic somewhere, where the Il2 looks like a flying 'sparkler' - you know those Guy-Fawkes things.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Choctaw111
07-04-2009, 03:34 PM
The effect you are seeing is meant to simulate bullets bouncing off the armor.
This does happen when you hit some different planes that aren't IL2's, but rarely.

M_Gunz
07-04-2009, 03:53 PM
How many other planes have wings skinned in armor steel as opposed to aluminum or fabric?

VW-IceFire
07-04-2009, 04:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
How many other planes have wings skinned in armor steel as opposed to aluminum or fabric? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm fairly certain the answer is none. The IL-2 (and IL-10) are unique. Probably the toughest planes in WWII...they probably have more of their total weight in armour plate than any other type.

Freiwillige
07-04-2009, 06:18 PM
The IL-2 has the WWII equivalent of armor as the A-10 of today! The nose, wing roots out to 1/2 the wing surface and pilot tub are all hardened armor. The Germans called them concrete bombers and had a real problem downing them from ground fire. In the air they had more success as nothing is invulnerable.

To answer your question, It is in fact the shells exploding and ricocheting of the Armor and is exclusive to the IL2 in the sim.

julian265
07-04-2009, 08:33 PM
I've seen it on IL2, IL10, and FW-190 (online...) once or twice.

Quite frankly it's as annoying and unrealistic as when a 20 mm round flips your aircraft.

It's also frustrating to be hitting one of the above aircraft with nose .50s (we had a hypothetical coop), see so many of those magical sparks flying off that it's hard to aim, and then fly past only to see minimal damage.

Oh, and the effect doesn't even show on an ntrk file.

M_Gunz
07-05-2009, 12:23 AM
The pilot "armor tub" was also a titanium alloy, more hardness and strength for the same weight. Russia has the site of
a major asteroid strike that gives it one of the biggest sources of chromium in the world, I wonder if the titanium came
from there or another such source (Vietnam has the biggest titanium source I know of, it's why the French valued it for
pigment so much from the 1860's till 1950-some when they were forced out. How much was left by 1975 though....) I wonder
about. One country with IIRC something like 1/6th of the Earth's dry land has more chance of containing such places.

There is another source of titanium but it's hard to get to and back. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/edhiker/3108357420/in/pool-ybnp)

Aluminum skin for planes is not hardened aluminum nor the softest wire grade either. Hardness is about 30 Rockwell IIRC
from Machinery's Handbook where mild steel is about 120-125 and armor steel much more but I can't say what. Glancing
hits by pointed projectiles are at a multiplied effective thickness plus strike on an area instead of a point, it's not
unreal at all to expect ricochets from hits at angles that won't even skip on water or softer metal.