PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking HELP (making FB smoother)

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 06:21 PM
I have an Epox 8k3a+ Mobo and an XP2100.

I can not go any higher then 140FSB in bios, becomes unstable above. I did read that you can change the multiplier to set the cpu clock speed without changing FSB. I tried this but to no avail, would not boot up with multiplier changed. I have also read about unlocking the CPU but apparently with Epox you dont have to because the multiplier goes up to 15 in the bios but i could be wrong. Any advice would be gratefull because my XP2100 is begining to feel the strain with FB and i will do anything to push up the fps especially on the Leningrad maps etc......Thanks.

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 06:21 PM
I have an Epox 8k3a+ Mobo and an XP2100.

I can not go any higher then 140FSB in bios, becomes unstable above. I did read that you can change the multiplier to set the cpu clock speed without changing FSB. I tried this but to no avail, would not boot up with multiplier changed. I have also read about unlocking the CPU but apparently with Epox you dont have to because the multiplier goes up to 15 in the bios but i could be wrong. Any advice would be gratefull because my XP2100 is begining to feel the strain with FB and i will do anything to push up the fps especially on the Leningrad maps etc......Thanks.

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 06:29 PM
Don't know those chips but it must be unlocked for it to have any effect, I would not advise too much overclocking at big intervals or you may fry your chip really easily. Need a good temp monitor and start with small increments with multiplier, multiplier is touchy.

<marquee>Take care when cranking it up or you will loose it very quickly, I've done it twice with AMD chips....<\marqueee>

"As the G-forces pushed my face in I held on..one hand on the release lever..one on the stick..sweating..trumpets of Jerico roaring..verticle dive..ground rushing up..3000m..2500m..1500m release! Plane jerks back up..pull up! Pull up!.500 pounder gone, shrapnel hitting me..taking flak..but..but I'm alive! At least for another day....."

Another day as a Stuka pilot.

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 06:51 PM
Changing multiplier has exactly the same effect as changing FSB speed. You can do ither or both at a time the result is you pross is working on higher frequencies.

FSB Hz X Multiplier = Processor Hz

If you can't boot up with multiplier changed it means you've reached the limit. Go lower till the system is stable. Remember that overclocking depends on you particular chip. Chips from one batch can behave differently if overclocked.

If you have XP 2100+, you pross in't a bottleneck here. Most important component that determins you graphic performance (given you eliminated other bottlenecks) is your graphic card. I would put video card upgrade on the first place in your upgrade list if you wanna enjoy the game.

Good luck

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 08:53 PM
I have tried going lower with the multiplier but it had no affect...still showed original clock speeds on boot. The most fsb i can go is 140mhz.If the cpu is locked then how do i unlock it??? Cheers

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 10:14 PM
As you overclock your cpu it is going to require more voltage to the Vcore which your bios may have a option to increase, and as you increase the fsb you are also overclocking the PCI and AGP Bus so be careful with your addon cards that they dont overheat.
Another thing that happens is your Ram gets overclocked too and some motherboards have an option to increase the voltage to the AGP and RAM as well

You will need to tinker with them all to truely overclock the machine and have it run stable.
you will find on a web search plenty of info about unlocking your CPU As well

BUT HERES THE WARNING

GET TEMPERATURE GAUGES FOR EVERYTHING
AND VERY GOOD COOLING

Just My 2C

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~hcsl/sig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 08:16 AM
The thing is I want to just increase the multiplier itself and leave the fsb alone, I dont think my ram can take big increase in FSB. I have tried adjusting the Vcore and the Vdimm,but it still wont boot when I up the multiplier one notch from 13x to 14x. Is this because the processor is locked, I did read that someone unlocked their XP2100 so that it ran like a XP2700 keeping the fsb the same....

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread/t-54300.html

XyZspineZyX
08-28-2003, 08:42 AM
some EPOX 8ka3 boards did support multiplier change and others in the range did not .. I am pretty sure yours does.

Assuming your MB does support multiplier change your problems suggest the multiplier on the CPU is locked .. if this is the case you need to unlock it by removing the heatsink and cutting some bridges .. not hard if your game but make sure the heatsink goes back on with good thermal paste

<center> http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQDLAtUWiWZ3BKw19!aryp7v3C1h1DuNwpHOOuqhlraGSyMAY KiPEOZAA1OBgsLu*Sa0UQ2my0PiFyvNkJ5K7Clsoy7yNtEvOXY nHDuPNiotpZACY2oJxw/aircraftround.jpg </center>