PDA

View Full Version : <> USSR Bi-1 mission

growingcorn
04-21-2006, 08:57 PM
In this mission, I'm suppose to conduct a test flight with the prototype. This is a hard but necessary mission to be the first one, to be exact, because if any beginners believe that they have mastered the fundamentals of landing after a few tries and anxiously want to move on to shooting down planes or ground targets then they are wrong. I am one of them.

It's pretty easy landing in a fully functional airplane. But managing a gliding plane really puts the pilot to the test. I've failed more than 20 times finishing this mission.

I got lucky one time and completed the mission. But I remained in the game thinking it will show me a "Proceed" button or something. After a few minutes I was ready to press the ESC button to see what my options are, then the plane blew up out of nowhere.

So now I have to refly and my ticket on attempted tries have increased up to 40. It is really testing my patience. Please someone help me.

At what altitude should I start my approach? And in what speed? I lower my flaps at the altitude of 900m. At about 200m and with the speed of 200km/h I lower my gears. Then I tilt my nose up for the land and this is where my plane begins to toss, as if it were to stall, and then crash.

growingcorn
04-21-2006, 08:57 PM
In this mission, I'm suppose to conduct a test flight with the prototype. This is a hard but necessary mission to be the first one, to be exact, because if any beginners believe that they have mastered the fundamentals of landing after a few tries and anxiously want to move on to shooting down planes or ground targets then they are wrong. I am one of them.

It's pretty easy landing in a fully functional airplane. But managing a gliding plane really puts the pilot to the test. I've failed more than 20 times finishing this mission.

I got lucky one time and completed the mission. But I remained in the game thinking it will show me a "Proceed" button or something. After a few minutes I was ready to press the ESC button to see what my options are, then the plane blew up out of nowhere.

So now I have to refly and my ticket on attempted tries have increased up to 40. It is really testing my patience. Please someone help me.

At what altitude should I start my approach? And in what speed? I lower my flaps at the altitude of 900m. At about 200m and with the speed of 200km/h I lower my gears. Then I tilt my nose up for the land and this is where my plane begins to toss, as if it were to stall, and then crash.

Lodovik
04-22-2006, 01:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by growingcorn:
I lower my flaps at the altitude of 900m. At about 200m and with the speed of 200km/h I lower my gears. Then I tilt my nose up for the land and this is where my plane begins to toss, as if it were to stall, and then crash. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are lowering the flaps & gear way too high/early. I wouldn't do either on any plane before having descended to at least 150m. With the BI-1 I lower flaps at about a distance of 200-300 metres from the runway end and air speed of no more than 200kph.

Always be sure to have depleted the rocket fuel before attempting to land the BI-1 (but you knew this, right?). To be on the safe side, empty the guns also, if you happen to have any unused ammo before landing (after a combat, you usually don't, due to the very small ammo capacity). Also, preferably use concrete fields only.
You can slow down the BI-1 in the air while gliding by taking quick tight turns (just watch the altitude) left and right.
Try to slow down to 190kph with the flaps down by the time you reach the beginning of the runway and have the altitude at no more than 60 metres. Lower the gear. The BI-1 flies quite nicely at slow speed, you can land her nicely from 150kph to as slow as 130kph (probably even slower, but haven't really bothered to try yet).
With gear & flaps lowered, speed at 150kph, alt 60m or less, let the plane lightly bleed altitude for the last moments. You may help with the stick if neccessary, but light movents only. You mainly need to compensate for the roll as the BI-1 tends to roll right.
At about 10 metres altitude you may need to adjust the pitch by pulling back steady and light on the stick. Just a bit, so that the nose is lifted over horizontal axis.
The aircraft may bounce a bit when it hits the runway, especially on speeds of over 130. Don't worry, compensate the sideways roll with the stick, or preferably, with the footpedals if you have those. When the plane is rolling along the runway, keep the stick pulled back to avoid nosing down and keep tapping the wheel brake at steady one second interwals to slow down to a standstill. Use the rudder to steer if the plane tries to head off the runway.
If you strive for perfectionism, after the plane has stopped, raise the flaps and turn off the instrument panel lights if you've got those on, before hitting Esc and pressing "Quit mission" to end.

Hope this helps. And welcome to the world of one of the most enjoyable planes in the sim http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif