PDA

View Full Version : is FMB Overlooked AGAIN ?

MD_Widow-Maker
03-02-2005, 01:20 PM
My request for an upcoming patch or game is SIMPLE. It should include an expanded Ver. of the FMB Guide. I realize that the Maddox team is busy with the revenue generating projects of the new patch or game. I only suggest that this be included to assist the Mission Building Section of your Customers. It has been €œOverlooked€ for far too long. The Rules, Parameters, and Function of the guide should be clearly noted. As is once you get past FMB 101 and want to make more detailed missions, it consumes a lot of OUR time searching the forums for answers and (work arounds) just to get the result we are looking for. I€m not asking for any Code to be released. Just an up to date advanced user Guide. It should containing all the functions of FMB in detail so that WE can spend more time playing and less time making the Missions.
Your team is busy but I don€t think this will take too much time. All your team already Knows what FMB can and cannot do! So Providing this information should not be that ( Difficult or Time Consuming ) for your team. Yes there are a lot of people out there that don€t read provided literature anyway but for the people who like to make advanced missions a new guide would be GOLD. More valuable than a new Plane or Map.
Some Examples of problems with FMB.
Example 1 - the test runways, linking them together and making an airbase c/w banked fence, lites and hangers is fine but the Z-axis is disabled for us. The map Guadalcanal for instance has the test runways installed at ground level. I can Flip the runway so it is at ground level (Axis Bar Showing) but when I save, then test; it reverts to the raised Runway.
Example 2 - Stationary ships can be rolled and pitched to look like their damaged or sinking (AXIS-Enabled) smoke and fires can be placed to help Realism. Yet if I want to use a B-29 from stationary aircraft to appear damaged I cannot use the Destruction Filter or the (Axis) to make it looked damaged. I have to set enemy AAA close enough to have them damage it, then also have AAA to take out the enemy AAA. It€s a lot to go through just to have a B-29 look damaged.
These are just 2 examples of the Unusual Characteristics of FMB. There are obviously much more. Just a brief explanation of examples is given here. WoW it feels like I€m writing a novel here, Sorry about the length. I just wanted to let you know that some of your customers are not as interested in a new map or plane but would rather see an OLDER Engine get rebuilt or Improved, at the very least accurately explained.

Ps: Crazy Ivan
I have read a lot of your posts and very much appreciate your sarcasm. You have a very good, common sense, Fair to All, approach to the problems posted here. I don€t want this post to fall in the Whiners folder. I just want this post to be seriously considered, maybe there are reasons FMB has been ignored but if it has just been forgotten you should consider this a reminder.

VW-IceFire
03-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Those would be neat features for sure. I'd like more control over markings and whatnot than we do in the FMB but I don't feel its been overlooked.

Its a powerful utility and it works quite well. If you need help with something, asking on the forums or reading the numerous guides (check AirWarfare) available will help. They got me started.

BTW: Point of use on the forums and some tid bits of information. Its 25% harder to read text on a computer screen (so they say)...make it a bit easier on everyone and put actual separation between your paragraphs. At least its not one big paragraph (I refuse to read those) but try and break it up. Helps the eye...

Cheers! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Badsight.
03-03-2005, 12:59 AM
hello WM , long time dude

btw , a complaint isnt a whine when its actually based on something http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

LeadSpitter_
03-03-2005, 05:19 AM
hey widowmaker, finally a great post here in orr for a change. I been hoping for a updated fmb myself, while i think its too late and wont happen who knows.

complaint
whine
valid discussion

all the same thing here

MD_Widow-Maker
03-03-2005, 05:21 AM
S~ Badsight yes along time.

Icefire I did not intend to write as much as I did but Tkx for the (EASY READING GUIDE).

I aggree it's a Powerful Tool and I am a regular visitor to AIRWARFARE,MUDMOVERS,EASTERN SKIES and the FMB Forum here, not to mention other info sites.

In brief what I am asking is, SAVE Me the Research Time ,HAND Me the RULEBOOK (COACH).

Better Mission Building can be the ONLY Result. I don't see a downside of this one.

JG53Frankyboy
03-03-2005, 05:23 AM
yes, hopefully the FMB wil be overworked a lot in BoB.
actually im using more the FMB building missions than actual flying http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif - sure, just a personall feeling http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

the german community sendet a wish list long time ago to MaddoxGames , also about new features in the FMB - well , mostly Oleg said , "perhaps for BoB" ........
we will see.

MD_Widow-Maker
03-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Maybe my post is unclear; check the dates on the existing and only guide.

The Official IL2 Sturmovik Full Mission Builder Guide By Maddox Games, November 2001.

Full Mission Builder Guide By Sotka. Updated 03DEC01.

[02DEC01] Full Mission Builder Guide ONLINE
Just in time for the European and Nth American release of IL2 Sturmovik the Full Mission Builder Guide by Sotka is now online! In this comprehensive work Sotka leads the reader through mission development, interface functionality and culminates in a step by step guide to building a complex A2G / A2A scenario with downloadable examples. Essential reading for any IL2 fan, click here to begin.

What I am trying to get across is that at year end 2001: we had 27 flyable aircraft, if memory serves 10 maps, the min. pc requirement was ==== LOW

3 years later = = = How many Flyable Aircraft, Maps, Weapon Load outs, Ships, Vehicles, Armor and so on.... Anyone playing this game today cannot possibly have the same PC they did in 2001. (actually it€s in my daughter€s room)

The game has gone through a lot of Upgrades & Flight Modeling tune ups, TKX to the Maddox Team. Yet The Full Mission Builder originally designed has been OVERLOOKED time & time again. It was a Beautiful Engine (Very Nice Work) in 2001.

Just because it works is no reason not to look at it. I€m sure if I never changed the oil in my vehicle and just added a quart every so often it would still work. How well it would work is the QUESTION.

I€m just the garage mechanic talking to you at the pump saying: (bring it in and let me change the OIL & Filter). Maybe ( SOTKA ) is still around?

jeanba2
03-04-2005, 09:25 AM
I have another wish for the FMB :
Being able to add objects and waypoints out of the normal borders of the map (they could be viewed by panning "out of the map)
applications :
1- http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=50910533&m=517100134

2- on several maps (Finland), an airport is very close to the borders of the map, therefore the aircraft goes very often offmap

3- In Normandy map, to avoid flak, you can fly North of the map, which in reality is just above the port of Le Havre !!! (same for kourland and Konigsberg) !!!

crazyivan1970
03-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Nice to see contructive post for a change.

Popey109
03-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Definitely a good post! I hope before development runs out on FB+PF Oleg brings some more goodness to the full mission builder€¦especially level of damage to static objects, not just damage loads, remember CFS2 you could set the level of damage too static aircraft 10%, 20%, 30% and so on. Was a very cool feature http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

ECV56_Rolf
03-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Making it possible to set targets for both sides is a must for force on force campaigns missions, at least for recons...

To be able to set the speed to all Chiefs, not only ships. Using delays for this is annoying!

That the navigation lights on/off could be set as radio chatter is now.

That buildings destroyed DO appear in the log file, to avoid the need to use objects as markers. (Sometimes this methode have curious results)

And well... this I think is asking too much but... Being able to select more than one static object at the same time to mimic position or behavior, and even copying and pasting them. I do it by using text editors, but including it in the FMB will be very fine! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

(Putting more than 1000 static objects takes too much time today, and yes, it is flyable!)

Engrs
03-05-2005, 06:57 PM
I would like to see triggers and events, % chance of enemy aircraft appearing, and the ability to add text messages and custom sounds.

Basically what the CFS2 MB had.

Beirut
03-06-2005, 05:58 AM
Triggers would definitely be the cat's whiskers and would elevate this sim to near perfection.

Janes WWII Fighters had THE BEST trigger system. You could build in variables that would make a mission play out in ten different ways.

I built one mission where you had three possible flight routes to get to the target. Each route had different percentages of chance for fighter intervetion. As in Route 1 had a 0% chance of fighters as long as you stayed under 100'. But there was heavy ground fire. Route 2 had a 50/50 chance of fighter intervention and medium AA all the way. Route three had a 90% chance of fighters if you flew above 50' but no flak at all. All those variables and that's just on the way to the target. Add in recon photos and opening cinematics and you could actually sit and plan how to fly a mission. It was a riot.

In WWII Fighters you could also have triggers beget triggers. Missions were like a jigsaw puzzles that rearranged themselves each time you played them. And with the enormous amount of objects in the IL2 FMB, a trigger system would make for the most intense, surprising, enjoyable missions of any flight sim ever. You could build one mission and ten diferent people could see it unfold in twenty different way.

We can only dream. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

ECV56_Rolf
03-06-2005, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Engrs:
I would like to see triggers and events, % chance of enemy aircraft appearing, and the ability to add text messages and custom sounds.
QUOTE]

Now... I really want this too... more even than a campaign generator! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif