PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR users.... I need your help.

na85
09-29-2009, 12:59 AM
I have this problem where my trackIR gets "stuck" if I look up and to the right. Sometimes it simply just sticks in one place until I look back towards the center, other times it behaves jerkingly and the response seems to stutter, if you will.

I can see the 3 dots are tracking in the tracking display, and the green LED stays lit throughout. There are no stray reflections or other light sources behind me.

Any ideas?

na85
09-29-2009, 12:59 AM
I have this problem where my trackIR gets "stuck" if I look up and to the right. Sometimes it simply just sticks in one place until I look back towards the center, other times it behaves jerkingly and the response seems to stutter, if you will.

I can see the 3 dots are tracking in the tracking display, and the green LED stays lit throughout. There are no stray reflections or other light sources behind me.

Any ideas?

skarden
09-29-2009, 01:22 AM
I used to have this problem when I found that the dots in the tracking disply weren't centered pretty much exactly in the middle of the box,I had to move the tracker around a little to get it it sit right in the center whebn looking straight ahead.

Other then that either try updating the software or maybe increasing the sensitivity at the outside range like when your looking far left,right,up or down so that you dont loose one of the tracking dots when looking at the extremes of those directions.

good luck

Choctaw111
09-29-2009, 05:36 AM
I never heard of this problem before now, but I am thinking of what might cause it.
Some of the things that Skarden mentioned are good ideas.
After it gets stuck, what happens when you push the key to recenter it?
So you are saying that in the TrackIR control panel, that it still shows head tracking, but in game it gets stuck?
I may have had a similar problem in that I was not centered properly on my TrackIR unit, then it will stop tracking.
I found it very important to make sure that I was in the very center of the cone that the TrackIR can sense.

R_Target
09-29-2009, 05:36 AM
I checked the "light filtering" box and moved the slider all the way to the left. It seems to help.

Deedsundone
09-29-2009, 07:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R_Target:
I checked the "light filtering" box and moved the slider all the way to the left. It seems to help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try that,Sound similar to what I had and the above solved it.

money_money
09-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Maybe a long shot.

I had my Tir go weird and after a few hours rearranging furnature reinstalling software ect.

I unpluged the usb and put it back. and hey presto. good as new.

FoundryWork
09-29-2009, 08:25 AM
If you have TrackIR, then you have a trackIR problem. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

rnzoli
09-29-2009, 09:22 AM
The strangest TrackIR problem I had was similar. (TIR4)

Sometimes, when looking sideways, sometimes my view "stuck", and moved again only when I looked extreme sideways, or back to center again. This was pretty much repetitive during sessions - I could fly for hours without problems, but when it came, it didn't want to go away for hours either.

I thought this would make me go crazy, tried to chase disturbing light sources around the house and misbehaving process on the computer.

Finally I caught the problem on the "tracking" screen. One of the lower dots was changing size when moving my head sideways, and at one point, almost disappering. The green color changed to red at those times, which probably means that TIR4 software considered that dot as invalid input at certain angles.

But no matter how I examined the vector clip and the reflector material on it, all looked good, and I couldn't imagine why the greed dot gets halved and turn into red at specific locations.

Finally, I tried to make tests whether part of the camera is faulty maybe, and just to test the line of sight, I moved my finger from camera towards the faulty clip reflector. As I did that, I ended up moving my fingers through my... hair!

Strange enough, I had longer hair and sometimes it curled up a bit in front of the lower 2 reflectors. As I always tested the tracking view with frontal arrangement, I never realized that my own curly hair can cover the lower 2 reflectors randomly. That was the reason why one of the reflectors changed size and ended up being "invalid signal", while TIR stopped moving the view, until I moved my head out from that specific angle, and it could re-acquire all 3 dots.

So my advice: if you use vector clip on a headphone, check your hair lenght, mate! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DD_crash
09-29-2009, 09:52 AM
The distance from the TrackIR to the dots is important. Mine is about 3 feet away from my headset.

na85
09-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Hmmm, thanks guys. I'll try R Target's light filtering suggestion.

It's not game related. Even if I exit il2 and just look at the gauges, I see "sticking" when I look up-right.

Dgirth
09-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Are you using Trackir4 ? if so you can download the new software version for trackir5 or works on 4 to, and its tens times as good, it will sort your problem.

AK_Mongo
09-29-2009, 01:46 PM
I had some wonky things happen to trackir that were fixed by closing the curtains to reduce errant light from the sun.

Good luck!

na85
09-29-2009, 01:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:
There are no stray reflections or other light sources behind me.

Any ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stiletto-
09-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Is it just as bad at night in a dark room?

na85
09-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Yep.

FoolTrottel
09-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Flip the tracker unit 180dgrs.
And set it in the software you did so.

Then you'll be able to figure out whether its the unit, or the positioning.
(If same effect appears, it's positioning, move the unit further away from you. If the problem stays in the same corner of the unit -mind you, now lower right corner sticking- it could be the unit that's bad)
Note: This is just a theory I just thought up http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

If the unit is top-mounted, try placing it lower... or vice versa.

JarheadEd
09-29-2009, 11:49 PM
You may want to try this. Increase the priority of the Track iR. From GOZR's IOCL forum

http://www.gozr.net/iocl/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=794

UgoRipley
09-30-2009, 12:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dgirth:
Are you using Trackir4 ? if so you can download the new software version for trackir5 or works on 4 to, and its tens times as good, it will sort your problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you install version 5 and it crashes a lot, you might need to run it in Windows NT 4 "compatibility mode".
I have XP and do so.

T_O_A_D
09-30-2009, 06:36 AM
na85

You didn't mention the version of TIR your using, or reflector type.

If your still using the vector clip, look at link in my sig, for ideas.

My guess is your too close, and not exactly centered in the Camera's view. If it's not a hardware issue.

na85
09-30-2009, 11:36 PM
I tried FoolTrottel's suggestion, and when I had the unit upside down the problem persisted in the upper-right corner.... I.e. it's not the device.

When I move the device further away the problem gets worse, and it sticks more frequently and in more positions along the yaw axis.

@TOAD: True.

I am running TrackIR 4 with the standard clip that comes with it and goes on the front of your hat.

I was previously running TIR4 build 37 but rolled back to the one that came on disc with my TIR which is 4.1 build 30.

na85
09-30-2009, 11:41 PM
The process priority trick also did not help noticeably.

EDIT: The suggestion of turning the Light Filtering slider down all the way seems to have helped (at least from looking at the gauges), I'll try it ingame now and see what happens.

na85
10-01-2009, 03:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R_Target:
I checked the "light filtering" box and moved the slider all the way to the left. It seems to help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems to have worked! I just flew for 2 hours without any noticeable sticking or other adversities!

Many thanks to R_Target http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

T_O_A_D
10-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Good to here, if it continues, or comes back look at my sig and my hat.

It won't ever happen again, once you have a set of ball reflectors.