PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth buying?

zeroiharmi
10-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Okay the Chessmaster 11: Grandmaster Edition (PC) is now released.
Have anyone purchased this game and tried it? Is it worth buying? Is there anything new? Improvements or what so ever?
I would really like to know, since I've been thinking of buying it.

zeroiharmi
10-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Have anyone purchased this game and tried it? Is it worth buying? Is there anything new? Improvements or what so ever?
I would really like to know, since I've been thinking of buying it.

Arkansaw
10-30-2007, 12:36 PM
It's in stores now? I'm waiting for the digital store to be updated before making a decision :/

zeroiharmi
10-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Yes it is, it's written on the homepage of www.chessmaster.com (http://www.chessmaster.com)

likesforests
10-30-2007, 12:43 PM
CM11 has at least three improvements:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>They've added a new series of tutorials by Josh Waitzkin which they say is based on his book The Art of Learning.
<LI>It's gone from 2730 ELO to ~2850 ELO based on its Leiden tournament score.
<LI>They've added "mini-games" like "Fork the Fruit". I don't think I would ever use a feature like this, but oh well.
[/list]
You have to decide for yourself whether it's worth buying CM9 ($10), CM10 ($20), or CM11 ($40). By the way, the digital stores still show it as pre-order and Best Buy said it's not released yet.

Arkansaw
10-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Yup, and just realized I can't get it through digital store due to country location restriction o.o

winbbored
10-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Uh yeah:

The digital store, as previously mentioned, is still showing it as a pre-order.

Best Buy, as also previously mentioned, shows it as not yet released.

Amazon shows it as being released BUT states it "usually ships within 2 to 3 weeks".

....and there's a patch already? WTF? A patch for a program that is not yet available......ANYWHERE??????

SSBN617
10-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Patches are pretty common these days. Programs are so large that it's impossible to catch everything in beta. At some point they have to pull the trigger and release it. Oh did I say RELEASE IT??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

likesforests
10-30-2007, 02:49 PM
In fairness, the purchase page says:

"This title is a preorder - will be available for download approx 10/30/07"

Patience... we're all eager, but the day is not over yet. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

winbbored
10-30-2007, 02:50 PM
I have absolutely no problem with having to apply a patch. It's the fact that the actual program seems to be missing! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

winbbored
10-30-2007, 03:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by likesforests:
In fairness, the purchase page says:

"This title is a preorder - will be available for download approx 10/30/07" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is true and you are correct, sir! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

However, the main page clearly states:

"Chessmaster XI Available Now!Chessmaster XI is now available in stores!"

I mean, you have to admit it's a bit strange for the program to be "now available in stores" yet NOT available for download. The download versions are typically available first. For example, you can download Shredder 11 NOW from their web site (I've had it for several days already) but the boxed product won't be available for a day or two. THAT makes sense....this CM Grandmaster deal doesn't (at least not to me).

likesforests
10-30-2007, 06:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">you have to admit it's a bit strange for the program to be "now available in stores" yet NOT available for download. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, it's strange. It's released and they've accepted out money... but we can't download it and I can't find any stores that claim to have it in stock. It would be nice if they would let us know what's happening.

Eg, "We're sorry for the inconvenience, but there are 2 outstanding bugs, and as soon as they are fixed and verified (eta nov-1) you'll be able to download it. It should reach most stores in the continental US by nov-3 and in other countries by nov-8."

winbbored
10-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Agreed. Hate to beat a dead horse but I've never heard of such a thing as paying for a "pre-order download". I mean, after payment is received, the download should be available immediately or within a reasonable time thereafter. I've been buying software for a long time and have never encountered a situation where you pay for a download version but it's not ready to be downloaded. What's the point of that? So one is first in the download queue or something?

Anyway, earlier this evening I was passing a few stores so I thought I'd check, just for laughs.....Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, and Walmart......NONE, of course, had any in stock.

andrewaclt
10-30-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm annoyed. I saw that it was available so went ahead and paid for the online download and cannot get it now. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Arkansaw
10-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Given such lack of attention and release delays, I'd be even more annoyed if bootleg copies end up appearing first :|

tfreeman_407
10-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Good points winbbored http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

rhombus
10-31-2007, 01:12 AM
Well said winbbored.

ForrestGT
10-31-2007, 01:56 AM
Hi u all,

I've been on the the Chessmaster 10th ed forum from the beginning and stopped posting cause none at ubi seemed to care about a damn thing.

Guess what, reading your posts in here give the exact same feeling, here we go again...still none's there!!!

When I think of the capital of sympathy that chessmaster had back in time....what a wast!!!

Such a great licence treated like a sub-regular valuesoft, chessmaster.com link still pointing at the 10th ed, no communication, no teasing, no support, near to no improvement ...Can someone explain the math of this to me????...

Tom28
10-31-2007, 03:13 AM
Hi all!

Here are the most important new elements brought by Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition:
"˘ 12 chess variants, available online (among them: Marseillais, Progressive, Pocket Knight, Kriegspiel).
"˘ Play with your friends even if you are not simultaneously online, thanks to the new Correspondence Chess game mode.
"˘ Have fun while stretching your mind with Chessmaster's brand-new mini-games: Fork My Fruit, Minefield, and Pathfinder.
"˘ The new interactive Chessmaster Academy – "The Art of Learning,"ť where International Master Josh Waitzkin will teach you to play
chess in a dynamic and introspective manner, learning through chess principles, positions, and experiences.
"˘ 10 brand-new, exquisitely designed chess sets, courtesy of the House of Staunton.
"˘ A new 3D animated chess set featuring the famous bunnies from Rayman Raving Rabbids™.
"˘ The updated version of The King – more power using multithread and multiprocessor capabilities.

Tom28
10-31-2007, 03:20 AM
Hi ebutaljib!

I worked on the project, I can help you with more details.
For example, once you create an account from the game, you can play Correspondence Chess from website or from PC.
Also, the online bugs from previous versions have been removed. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tom28
10-31-2007, 03:29 AM
Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition will not be compatible with 10th Edition (online) - we use other servers, other databases, other standards.
The game should be already available (the release date was Oct 30).
Regarding the chess sets - yes, the 10th Edition ones will be compatible with the new version.
The skins and the opening books are compatible, too.

likesforests
10-31-2007, 03:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom28:
The game should be already available (the release date was Oct 30). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom, thanks for answering some key questions. I bought CM11 from the Ubisoft Digital Store but it seems not available for download yet... at least a couple others here have reported the same thing here.

Tom28
10-31-2007, 03:40 AM
Regarding the online compatibility with CM 10, it was a hard decision to made, but the technical problems couldn't be solved otherwise. We had to switch to another type of servers and protocols.
Currently we explore the feasibility of a cross-platform system with Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition (XBOX360).
The release date is the same for Europe and US - Oct 30.
This patch does not install any additional language. You will be able to install and play Chessmaster in English or French (at least for the moment).

Tom28
10-31-2007, 03:48 AM
There is a single patch version that detects your Chessmaster version (US or EMEA, English or French) and makes the appropriate changes.

Tom28
10-31-2007, 04:03 AM
We are really excited about the new tutorials. We implemented more than 6 1/2 hours of interactive lessons. There are 7 lessons with 14 analyzed games. In each lesson a chess principle with be presented, explained, detailed and analyzed through real chess games.
The interactive component will be stronger than ever and everyone will be able to search the best answer several times in each game using his/ her experience or assisted by Josh.
We really liked working on these tutorials, many times we gather to watch spectacular games and to find the best solution.

Regarding the optical support - it's DVD and you don't have to keep it in the drive all the time. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

winbbored
10-31-2007, 04:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom28:The game should be already available (the release date was Oct 30). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesn't appear to be available anywhere, though, including the UBI online store (they'll gladly accept your money but there's nothing to download). Thanks for posting the information on the game, regardless.

I'm pretty sure a LOT of folks here would appreciate it if you would pass this along to the responsible personnel in the company. It's a bit frustrating to see stuff like "now available in stores" when it's clearly not, paying for downloads when there is no program to download, and the fact that a patch has been released before anyone can obtain the actual program for which the patch is intended.

Tom28
10-31-2007, 04:12 AM
Hi winbbored!

Are you saying that the game it's not in the stores yet? Please tell me where are you living. Could you please confirm that in your zone the game is not available?
I will also appreciate any post that will say where the game it is not available yet (in stores).

Thank you in advance!

Tom28
10-31-2007, 04:17 AM
Hi ebutaljib!

I'm glad I was able to answer to your questions and I will be glad to do it again.

winbbored
10-31-2007, 04:24 AM
Well, I know for a fact that it's not available anywhere in the Chicago area. I've looked and so has a relative of mine. Further, I have some relatives in Florida and it's not available there either (they also checked a few stores).

AFAIK, the only store that even shows it as "coming soon" (i.e. on the shelf) is Best Buy. However, the folks in the stores I (and a relative) spoke with were clueless about exactly when it is supposed to arrive.....only that they hadn't received any copies.

As I indicated earlier, the even more confounding thing is the unavailability of the download version. If the program has in fact been released, why is the order page still showing the download as a "pre-order"?

Arkansaw
10-31-2007, 06:27 AM
hi Tom28, it's really nice to have someone on the dev team here. Could you tell us what has been done to allow for ranked games in those preset tournaments?

anyway, just got back from the IT zone in Singapore, Hellgate London is all the heat (worldwide launch today) and no one cares about Chessmaster http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

EdwardsNH
10-31-2007, 06:34 AM
Currently, the FAQ says it will be released November 1st.

Glad to hear you won't need to keep the DVD in the drive.

One thing though:

"Regarding the optical support - it's DVD and you don't have to keep it in the drive all the time."

The words "...all the time" leave open the possibility that you will have to put it in occasionally.

If you don't have to ever put it back in, this will be the first CM I'll buy since 6000 (of which I found a patch that canceled the CD request).

And here's my editorial... These DRM tactics don't stop people from pirating software, they just make it more of a pain in the *** for the honest users.

So again, if there are no obnoxious DRM tactics, and I don't see a lot of people complaining of system crashes like the last two versions seemed to cause, then I will buy it in a week or so.

My nine year old knows how the pieces move, but she's just a wood pusher. The lessons in this CM will be much appreciated, since when I try to help her, we just both get frustrated http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

EdwardsNH
10-31-2007, 06:51 AM
"In my opinion this was/is reasonable."

We've become too use to the abuse http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Honestly, I want to be able to install it, and forget about the disk.

Laptops are becoming more popular than desktops these days, so I know I'm not alone in not wanting to be out some where, decide I've got time for a game or lesson, only to find out I can't due to a disk request.

If this is the case, I won't buy it.

Arkansaw
10-31-2007, 06:57 AM
9000 was released on cds, so it was not totally impossible to create a backup disc image just to get the cds out of the way. With dvd media the hassle would be greater.

EdwardsNH
10-31-2007, 07:10 AM
"9000 was released on cds, so it was not totally impossible to create a backup disc image just to get the cds out of the way."

Except for the fact that it would not allow you to install if it detected any form of disk image software.

andrewaclt
10-31-2007, 09:02 AM
Tom28: Why is the game not available in the online store? You're about to have a large number of canceled orders...

KHollister
10-31-2007, 12:20 PM
The No CD/DVD feature was one of the most complained about things in Chessmaster 10. However, I'll give Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt and assume they learned their lesson(they did release a patch for that, even if we did have to wait a long time).

Considering that, ss soon as the stores in my area get Chessmaster 11, I'll definitely get it.

likesforests
10-31-2007, 03:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't hold your breath. The dvd WILL have to be in the drive from time to time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Then there's at least one advantage to buying the downloadable version... no DVDs to insert.

EdwardsNH
10-31-2007, 03:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Then there's at least one advantage to buying the downloadable version... no DVDs to insert. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, that's a really good point. I was wondering that myself. That, and the fact that, if this thing comes on a DVD, that is gonna' be one honking huge download.

diskamyl
10-31-2007, 03:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by likesforests:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't hold your breath. The dvd WILL have to be in the drive from time to time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Then there's at least one advantage to buying the downloadable version... no DVDs to insert. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking the same thing, but in the digital download site, I noticed that there's something like a limit of activation. that is, you cannot activate the product more than a certain number of times (I think it was 5). I'd prefer the downloading option, but I format my computer very often due to crashes, getting slower and slower everyday etc (it's a slow computer) and since I want to use CM11 for years, I don't want to go through non-responded email after email with the renowned "support" of ubi to activate my product in my 6th format.

does anybody know any details about this limited number of activations issue?

winbbored
10-31-2007, 03:57 PM
I don't have any details or inside information but I'd bet almost anything this new version is going to require activation (as opposed to inserting a CD or DVD) and the number of times one can activate it will be limited. After, say, 5 activations, the server will simply reject any more and contacting support will be necessary (yikes!).

Anyway, my suggestion would be to look into decent imaging software rather than continually formatting your drive and reinstalling your OS and apps. You can restore an image a whole heck of a lot quicker and all of your settings remain intact, including previously activated software.

KHollister
10-31-2007, 05:34 PM
Okay... I do admit that I only used "official" patches. I (wrongly) assumed that the pre-1.03 no-CD patch that was on the FAQs was originally from a warez site, so I never used it, for fear of something strange happening.

However, that makes me wonder. A developer fixes a problem, yet is told to leave everything broken? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Frankly, I don't think I'd mind the activation, although if they do that, it should tie into your hardware settings. That way if you have to reformat and re-install, it wouldn't be a problem (of course, if you did a major upgrade, then you might have to call support).

EdwardsNH was right. DRM doesn't stop dishonesty; it only makes honest users suffer.

EdwardsNH
10-31-2007, 05:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't have any details or inside information but I'd bet almost anything this new version is going to require activation (as opposed to inserting a CD or DVD) and the number of times one can activate it will be limited. After, say, 5 activations, the server will simply reject any more and contacting support will be necessary (yikes!). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, that sounds reasonable. No extra work on my part http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Actually, with the download, it's the only one that seems plausible.

Also, I've been looking into disk cloning, as I'm getting ready to upgrade in the next couple of months. Any software suggestions? I'm looking to dual boot windows on a macbook.

Tom28
11-01-2007, 02:15 AM
Hi andrewaclt!

The game should be available in stores any moment from now. It has been shipped, but it seems that some retailers may not have the game on the shelves until their next stocking date (whichever day of the week it is).

Arkansaw
11-01-2007, 02:33 AM
hi Tom28, is it now possible to play ranked games in the preset tournaments?

Tom28
11-01-2007, 03:20 AM
Hi Arkansaw!

The preset tournaments games are still not ranked.

Arkansaw
11-01-2007, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the revelation, do you think it could be included as an option, in a future patch?

KaWa_1977
11-01-2007, 05:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Arkansaw:
Thanks for the revelation, do you think it could be included as an option, in a future patch? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Arkansaw, such an option would be great.

NoSystem
11-01-2007, 11:07 AM
I picked up my PC version at the Best Buy in Downers Grove, IL. this morning.

diskamyl
11-01-2007, 06:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KHollister:
Okay... I do admit that I only used "official" patches. I (wrongly) assumed that the pre-1.03 no-CD patch that was on the FAQs was originally from a warez site, so I never used it, for fear of something strange happening.

However, that makes me wonder. A developer fixes a problem, yet is told to leave everything broken? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Frankly, I don't think I'd mind the activation, although if they do that, it should tie into your hardware settings. That way if you have to reformat and re-install, it wouldn't be a problem (of course, if you did a major upgrade, then you might have to call support).

EdwardsNH was right. DRM doesn't stop dishonesty; it only makes honest users suffer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see. thank you both for the replies.

willy_297
11-07-2007, 07:59 AM
the nodvd on cmX worked with the 1.03 patch

Mike1911A1
11-10-2007, 12:21 PM
I got the download version a few days ago and so far, its been nothing but problems. Took several hours to get (1.81 Gig).in a zip file. Anyhow, got, unzipped it and went for the install -- seems there some files missing so I kept getting a "sorce file cant be found" message. Went in to the seperate files and tinkered with it a bit. I managed to make it work (sorta) but it not correct. I get no options buttons, no nothing. I get 1 board instead of choices.If I try to go online I get more errors. Seems that diiferent "PORTS" need to be opened in the router to make it work. I have no clue HOW TO DO THAT. i DIDNT HAVE THESE PROBLEMS WITH cm10 WICH WONT WORK ON THIS NEW MACHINE. i EVEN HAD TO GET A DIFFERENT VIDEO CARD TO MAKE THIS new COMPUTER COMPATIBLE SO I could play CM11. Ill be calling the digital store early on Monday morning and see if they will make it right. Well see.

SSBN617
11-10-2007, 12:27 PM
What is the brand and model number of your router?

Mike1911A1
11-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Let me check (if I can find it again) and Ill be back

Mike1911A1
11-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Took a while but: It is a BROADCOM ADSL ROUTER Model BRCM 963 XX

fatmike
11-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Its been long time since I have played and my 5 year old is showing interest in the game, so I downloaded CM Grand Master from UBI (about 30-40minute download on a business class cable modem) and installed it with no problems (takes awhile to install - there is alot of good content!). Its a wonderful tool for my 5 year old. He can play a game without frustration (it plays at his level) and without my assistance (keeping in mind he is computer savy and can read a bit) and he is really enjoying the game. I had him try some other online chess games but they just play at way to high a level for him. Those other online games never gave him a chance and its really no fun to get smoked everytime when your 5 years old.

I like it because I never had any training in theory and this software is great for learning theory.

Booya!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zeroiharmi:
I would really like to know, since I've been thinking of buying it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

andrewaclt
11-11-2007, 09:03 AM
I personally wouldn't buy it if I had CM10. Most of the new features are buggy(at least the ones I'm interested in), even after the v1.1 patch. Wait a few months when the game actually fully works.