PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on AC:R from a long-time fan. *Spoilers maybe*

EvolutionIXMR
11-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Well, I finally beat the story several days ago but have been playing the side-missions and completing all the optional stuff for the most part.
I've been following the AC series since 05-06, before the release of the first. I remember the cinematic teasers and Jade Raymond giving us gameplay footage and making our anticipation for the game grow.
I've been a huge fan of the series and just wanted to give my honest opinion on the game and how I feel about it.

Graphics:
The graphics in AC are perfect. They haven't changed much thru the series apart from facial movement and such, but I don't mind really. They could keep them exactly the same until the end of the AC series and it wouldn't bother me.

Story:

The story was great and left me satisfied. Ubisoft has some amazing talent on their team when it comes to story-telling.
That being said, I don't feel like the characters in Revelations were as "memorable" as the ones in Brotherhood.

Constantinople is a very very large city, that's for sure. If you're not zip-lining from rooftop to rooftop or using the tunnel system, it can take a very long time to run from one side of the map to the other.
I liked the location, but definitely not as much as Rome. Rome just felt a bit more "diverse", visually. Unless you're looking at your minimap or are on the rooftop of a building, it's almost impossible to know where you are when running through the streets. A lot of it just looks the same in my honest opinion.
It's a great city and i'm glad that Ubisoft gave me the chance to experience it, but I just didn't like it as much as Rome.
Also, the walls surrounding the city made me feel a bit "closed-in". Haha. Meaning, I wish they could've included just a bit of surrounding country for us to roam a little. Kind of like Monteriggioni.
The ferry system in the game was a bit pointless. Rowing your own little boat across the canal took about just as long as taking a ferry and having to wait through the loading screen. Just something I don't think was needed in the game.

New features:
Let me start off by saying that there weren't too many new features I actually liked.
Starting with the HookBlade. Wasn't a fan when they announced it, still am not. Other than using it for the ziplines(which can be fun I admit), I didn't see it as something that was necessary to include in the game.
When it came to fighting & climbing, it made some of the movement look unnatural and a bit awkward to be quite honest.
The bombs. Uggghh! Probably one of the things I disliked the most about the game. There was no need to include "bombs" in this type of game.
Seeing bomb-crafting stations in the most unlikely places like the Yerebatan Cistern is just dumb. Then they expect us to be "stealthy" in certain mission while still using bombs on guards while not alerting others 50ft away? C'mon, i'm not asking for 100% super-realistic gaming here, but let's be reasonable.
Den Defense. Oh my. Seriously? I'm not even going to go into this abomination of an idea.

Animus Island:

I liked Animus Island. The Portal-like Journey levels were somewhat entertaining and the insight on Desmond's life/backround was great. Just wish they were a bit more "visual" with his memories, like when people have flash-backs in a movie or something. But overall, I liked it.

Books & Book Shops:

I really liked the idea behind this, but I think it could've been better. Would have been great if you can read just a bit more than just a tiny paragraph in the books you collected. Especially at the ridiculous costs of some of them.

Notoriety/Templar Awareness:

The Templar Awareness system in this game was ok, but certain aspects of it were a bit annoying. Like the fact that every time you opened up a new shop, your awareness would shoot up, resulting in you having to look for a Herald or Templar Official afterwards. It becomes a nuisance after a while when you are renovating these shops in groups. And at times, you can't find any Heralds or Templar Officials when trying to get your awareness down. Bug/glitch?

Sound Track:

Unbelievable as always. I don't think it was AS GOOD as ACII & AC:B's, but it still awesome. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie that had such great music as the AC series.

Multiplayer:

I'm not an AC-Multiplayer type of person, I'll admit. Wasn't a fan of it before they announced it for AC:B and wasn't a fan of it when it came out. It just never stuck with me I guess. I'm more of a FPS type of person when it comes to multiplayer.
That being said, I don't think it was right what Ubisoft did where they made certain unlockables only attainable by playing multiplayer. That's just not right.

Overall, I think Revelations was a great game. It has it's flaws, but so do others. I know some will disagree with some of my views here, but it's just my thoughts and opinions on the game and I just wanted to share them.

EvolutionIXMR
11-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Well, I finally beat the story several days ago but have been playing the side-missions and completing all the optional stuff for the most part.
I've been following the AC series since 05-06, before the release of the first. I remember the cinematic teasers and Jade Raymond giving us gameplay footage and making our anticipation for the game grow.
I've been a huge fan of the series and just wanted to give my honest opinion on the game and how I feel about it.

Graphics:
The graphics in AC are perfect. They haven't changed much thru the series apart from facial movement and such, but I don't mind really. They could keep them exactly the same until the end of the AC series and it wouldn't bother me.

Story:

The story was great and left me satisfied. Ubisoft has some amazing talent on their team when it comes to story-telling.
That being said, I don't feel like the characters in Revelations were as "memorable" as the ones in Brotherhood.

Constantinople is a very very large city, that's for sure. If you're not zip-lining from rooftop to rooftop or using the tunnel system, it can take a very long time to run from one side of the map to the other.
I liked the location, but definitely not as much as Rome. Rome just felt a bit more "diverse", visually. Unless you're looking at your minimap or are on the rooftop of a building, it's almost impossible to know where you are when running through the streets. A lot of it just looks the same in my honest opinion.
It's a great city and i'm glad that Ubisoft gave me the chance to experience it, but I just didn't like it as much as Rome.
Also, the walls surrounding the city made me feel a bit "closed-in". Haha. Meaning, I wish they could've included just a bit of surrounding country for us to roam a little. Kind of like Monteriggioni.
The ferry system in the game was a bit pointless. Rowing your own little boat across the canal took about just as long as taking a ferry and having to wait through the loading screen. Just something I don't think was needed in the game.

New features:
Let me start off by saying that there weren't too many new features I actually liked.
Starting with the HookBlade. Wasn't a fan when they announced it, still am not. Other than using it for the ziplines(which can be fun I admit), I didn't see it as something that was necessary to include in the game.
When it came to fighting & climbing, it made some of the movement look unnatural and a bit awkward to be quite honest.
The bombs. Uggghh! Probably one of the things I disliked the most about the game. There was no need to include "bombs" in this type of game.
Seeing bomb-crafting stations in the most unlikely places like the Yerebatan Cistern is just dumb. Then they expect us to be "stealthy" in certain mission while still using bombs on guards while not alerting others 50ft away? C'mon, i'm not asking for 100% super-realistic gaming here, but let's be reasonable.
Den Defense. Oh my. Seriously? I'm not even going to go into this abomination of an idea.

Animus Island:

I liked Animus Island. The Portal-like Journey levels were somewhat entertaining and the insight on Desmond's life/backround was great. Just wish they were a bit more "visual" with his memories, like when people have flash-backs in a movie or something. But overall, I liked it.

Books & Book Shops:

I really liked the idea behind this, but I think it could've been better. Would have been great if you can read just a bit more than just a tiny paragraph in the books you collected. Especially at the ridiculous costs of some of them.

Notoriety/Templar Awareness:

The Templar Awareness system in this game was ok, but certain aspects of it were a bit annoying. Like the fact that every time you opened up a new shop, your awareness would shoot up, resulting in you having to look for a Herald or Templar Official afterwards. It becomes a nuisance after a while when you are renovating these shops in groups. And at times, you can't find any Heralds or Templar Officials when trying to get your awareness down. Bug/glitch?

Sound Track:

Unbelievable as always. I don't think it was AS GOOD as ACII & AC:B's, but it still awesome. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie that had such great music as the AC series.

Multiplayer:

I'm not an AC-Multiplayer type of person, I'll admit. Wasn't a fan of it before they announced it for AC:B and wasn't a fan of it when it came out. It just never stuck with me I guess. I'm more of a FPS type of person when it comes to multiplayer.
That being said, I don't think it was right what Ubisoft did where they made certain unlockables only attainable by playing multiplayer. That's just not right.

Overall, I think Revelations was a great game. It has it's flaws, but so do others. I know some will disagree with some of my views here, but it's just my thoughts and opinions on the game and I just wanted to share them.

Assassin_M
11-26-2011, 12:17 PM
No one has the right to disagree with you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Thats why there is a Feedback Thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/3721023169)

Black_Widow9
11-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Thank you for your Feedback! Please post in the above linked Topic.
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">Topic Closed</span>