PDA

View Full Version : Electronic doohickies?

stugumby
08-16-2010, 04:39 PM
it seems consumer electronics are supposed to make our lifes easier and enrich them. But now that ive got an I pod, a cell phone, etc ive also got a heap of cables, adaptors and brackets etc. Is there a fool proof way to keep all this stuff readily accessable and yet in a compact, easy to carry storage?

stugumby
08-16-2010, 04:39 PM
it seems consumer electronics are supposed to make our lifes easier and enrich them. But now that ive got an I pod, a cell phone, etc ive also got a heap of cables, adaptors and brackets etc. Is there a fool proof way to keep all this stuff readily accessable and yet in a compact, easy to carry storage?

WTE_Galway
08-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Throw it in the trash and become a Luddite like me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Failing that ... start by labeling the adapters and leads with the name of the device they belong to.

Airmail109
08-16-2010, 05:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stugumby:
it seems consumer electronics are supposed to make our lifes easier and enrich them. But now that ive got an I pod, a cell phone, etc ive also got a heap of cables, adaptors and brackets etc. Is there a fool proof way to keep all this stuff readily accessable and yet in a compact, easy to carry storage? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Buy an Iphone? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

mortoma
08-16-2010, 06:10 PM
I probably have a lot more adapters and chargers ( both for car and house ) than you do. And I agree, it's not only a mess but sometimes hard to remember which one is for which device. And it's particularly distressing when a few of them have the exact same plug, but different voltages and/or amperage and even a different polarity!! I probably have to do that labeling thing finally.

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-16-2010, 06:16 PM
In another thread some scoffed at the "smartphone" phenomenon, saying things like "I just want my phone to make calls", or "Why would you want a phone that does all that stuff", well this is why. I have two cords, a wall charger and a car charger, I may be absent minded but I can get those two straight, lol.

I will ay that standardization is making big strides, USB is becoming pretty standard for phone chargers (as the double as data cables), and in fact the EU has passed law that standardizes phone chargers. I foresee, despite every effort by corporate entities to resist, that consumer demand will eventually lead to technology standardization that is unimaginable now, and that most every device that interacts with other devices will work with any model, brand, type of device. It's companies like Apple and their ilk that are holding this back with their emphasis on proprietary technology for the sole purpose of forcing you to give them specifically more of your money to use your device as you see fit. Apple are geniuses at this, it was just recently discovered that has specifically designed their iPods/iPhone so they charge faster with Apple brand accessories.

GoToAway
08-16-2010, 07:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Apple are geniuses at this, it was just recently discovered that has specifically designed their iPods/iPhone so they charge faster with Apple brand accessories. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, what can you expect from a company that literally charges a 250% markup on hardware because it comes inside a fancier plastic case than the competition? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

jarink
08-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Wrap them all up together in a bunch.

http://www.generation.ab.ca/product_images/cable_bundle_sml.gif

WTE_Galway
08-16-2010, 08:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoToAway:
Well, what can you expect from a company that literally charges a 250% markup on hardware because it comes inside a fancier plastic case than the competition? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to be an Apple technician. At one stage the Apple OS was doing things like identifying whether hard disks were Apple supplied or after market. The OS would then refuse to format and partition the non-Apple hardware even if it was the same manufacturer and model as the apple original.

GoToAway
08-16-2010, 08:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
I used to be an Apple technician. At one stage the Apple OS was doing things like identifying whether hard disks were Apple supplied or after market. The OS would then refuse to format and partition the non-Apple hardware even if it was the same manufacturer and model as the apple original. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't doubt it.

My experience with Apple software has been hellish. I'm old enough to remember the days of having to get "Appletalk" to work on an NT network. I still have nightmares.

Apple markets an image more than they market an actual product, and this has been the case since OS7 or so.

R_Target
08-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Solution: Manpurse.

K_Freddie
08-17-2010, 12:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R_Target:
Solution: Manpurse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/9/6/633878544151448090-purse.jpg

M2morris
08-17-2010, 03:29 PM
I bought my wife a hundred dollar digital camera and I can't stand it because of the delay it has. It only takes one or two seconds to lose a moment when you want to take a picture, and that brief 'processing' bull*hit pi(ses me off to the point of smashing the dam camera because the shot I wanted to get was missed. But, my 30 year-old Minolta 35 MM has never failed me, and it takes beautiful pictures that are right-on time when I press the shutter button. Alot of these new gadgets just proceed in pi$$in me off. Like windows vista or W7 for examples.
They just can't leave stuff alone even if it still works good.
But back ot. I too have a spagetti of plugs and adapters to unsort and unfek. Its a mess.

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah, never buy a digital camera without reading many reviews, a lot of crappy ones have that shutter delay, but it is not an inherent flaw with digital cameras, there are plenty of good ones for less money than that with no shutter delay.

jarink
08-17-2010, 06:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R_Target:

It's a carryall! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

GoToAway
08-17-2010, 08:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M2morris:
I bought my wife a hundred dollar digital camera and I can't stand it because of the delay it has. It only takes one or two seconds to lose a moment when you want to take a picture, and that brief 'processing' bull*hit pi(ses me off to the point of smashing the dam camera because the shot I wanted to get was missed. But, my 30 year-old Minolta 35 MM has never failed me, and it takes beautiful pictures that are right-on time when I press the shutter button. Alot of these new gadgets just proceed in pi$$in me off. Like windows vista or W7 for examples.
They just can't leave stuff alone even if it still works good.
But back ot. I too have a spagetti of plugs and adapters to unsort and unfek. Its a mess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, to be fair, point-and-shoots are designed to be "idiotproof." They're designed to be used by people that have no idea how to use cameras, which means they do the autofocus/AWB/autoexpose thing every time you click the shutter.

If you want a camera that "just works," you need to shell out for a DSLR. It does everything your old Minolta does and more.

R_Target
08-17-2010, 08:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jarink:

It's a carryall! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haw. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Actually, most guys can pull off one of those black laptop-type bags that slings around the neck and shoulder. Or a bike-courier bag. I rode only a bicycle for years, and took a bag like that everywhere.

DrHerb
08-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Instead of doohickies, get a thingamabob

R_Target
08-18-2010, 05:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DrHerb:
Instead of doohickies, get a thingamabob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A thingamajig, a watchamacallit, or a doomaflatchie would also work in this case.