PDA

View Full Version : A few questions regarding discontinuities and such (AC2)

Riposa_in_Pace
04-08-2010, 06:49 PM
First off, is Ezio's age revealed somewhere? He must be in his 20s when the plot starts. That means that he reaches the age of fifty close to the end of the game? Heck, I know for certain Leonardo da Vinci should be in his 40s by then. Well, they don't look as old as they should be in that period. I know that's going into details, but it's essential to the feel. I know Ezio gains a beard (probably to stress that he is aging), but with this comes another discontinuity.

At the point where he is stabbed and we see the black robbed monk take the Apple to the point where he is waking up; how long has he been in a coma/asleep? Or are we suppose to believe that the beard grew overnight? That was weird...

Another thing; why do Desmond and Altair have lip scars in AC2? You can't blame that on the bleeding effect... or can you? It just seems that Ubi was so not into little details, that they've used the same model for Desmond, Altair and Ezio. I understand that they're all the same actor, but Ezio got his lip scar from the rock Vieri throws at him. Doesn't explain why Altair would have it in the same game as he lived centuries before the little Auditore was even born.

And to be a pain in the butt while I still remember some of these details; why does one year pass between Leo and Ezio arriving to Venice by boat?

P.S. My intention was not to be a troll, I'm just interested if there are some reasonable explanations for this stuff?

Riposa_in_Pace
04-08-2010, 06:49 PM
First off, is Ezio's age revealed somewhere? He must be in his 20s when the plot starts. That means that he reaches the age of fifty close to the end of the game? Heck, I know for certain Leonardo da Vinci should be in his 40s by then. Well, they don't look as old as they should be in that period. I know that's going into details, but it's essential to the feel. I know Ezio gains a beard (probably to stress that he is aging), but with this comes another discontinuity.

At the point where he is stabbed and we see the black robbed monk take the Apple to the point where he is waking up; how long has he been in a coma/asleep? Or are we suppose to believe that the beard grew overnight? That was weird...

Another thing; why do Desmond and Altair have lip scars in AC2? You can't blame that on the bleeding effect... or can you? It just seems that Ubi was so not into little details, that they've used the same model for Desmond, Altair and Ezio. I understand that they're all the same actor, but Ezio got his lip scar from the rock Vieri throws at him. Doesn't explain why Altair would have it in the same game as he lived centuries before the little Auditore was even born.

And to be a pain in the butt while I still remember some of these details; why does one year pass between Leo and Ezio arriving to Venice by boat?

P.S. My intention was not to be a troll, I'm just interested if there are some reasonable explanations for this stuff?

rjcooper
04-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Ezio's Storyline (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Ezio_Auditore_da_Firenze)

As it says in the wiki when you start playing Ezio he is 17 and 40 when he enters the vault. Truthfully he does age some over the 23 years of the game just minor enough that we don't really notice. The actual details are listed in the Trivia section at the bottom of the page. And I think the scar is supposed to represent a "character scar" that transfers because of a shared fate regarding the Pieces Of Eden. I dunno, but I'm certain that the models are different if you just look at the facial portraits.

godsmack_darius
04-10-2010, 09:44 PM
I can guarantee you that the scars are just a symbol. They probably put it their on purpose

Sypron
04-10-2010, 10:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Riposa_in_Pace:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We don't know how long he's been in a coma/asleep, but it is unlikely he would have survived if it was more than 3 or so days. So we can assume it's less time than that. Many men, especially middle eastern and European, grow body and facial hair very quickly. It's safe to assume that up to that point in the story Ezio was shaving regularly considering his age. So he was likely in the coma for about a day, during which his beard grew out. After he wakes up, he stops shaving as often. Simple.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Riposa_in_Pace:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Scars are not unusual, or magical, or special. Everyone has a scar or two. We see how Ezio gets his scar, and we do not see how Altair or Desmond get theirs. If you think about it for a second, Desmond and Altair are the MOST likely of those 3 people to have scars. Altair is a warrior by profession, and would have fought in countless battles. His body is likely riddled with other scars which we never see. Desmond was living 'off the grid'. He wouldn't have been able to ever receive proper medical attention for any wounds he sustained in his training as an assassin/employment as a barman. Just because we do not SEE Altair or Desmond get their lips cut does not mean they never received an injury. We simply never see it.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Imagine, if you will, that today's date is December 31st, 2010. Tomorrow the date will be January 1st, 2011. Tomorrow, when I wake up and the year is 2011, has a year passed since yesterday when the year was 2010? No. A day has passed. Apply this same phenomenon to your boat observation.
The events that occur in Forli before Ezio leaves occur in the year X, and the events which occur subsequently in Venice occur in year X+1. This does not mean that the day Ezio leaves Forli is 365 days before he arrives in Venice.

Riposa_in_Pace
04-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Thank you for your answers. Still, some of these explanations don't seem very thorough. Like, why are the lip scars all of the same fashion? I know it should be symbolic, but to get the same scar 3 centuries after your ancestor lived? Well, I presume that's just beyond the point.

And Sypron, I am well aware that there is a minimum of one day difference between years, but who is to say they began to travel the last few days of the year to Venice? I may be ignorant but doesn't Italy have snow as well? I guess this could be accounted as nagging from my side as well. It just seems to me that they want to build up the years that have passed so we get the sense of him growing up.

And the beard comment looks like a valid point, although it didn't seem to me as a five o'clock shadow. But I get it that not all of us grow facial hair in the same period of time.

I think some things were cleared up to me, although I'm still skeptic about how things were developed. Let it remain a mystery then.

FiskMunk
04-11-2010, 12:44 PM
I've learned to somewhat ignore aspects of AC II's story, since it imo lacks severely in comparison to the awesomeness that is AC I.
Also "the Ancestor's" head model, who've shrunk and now looks like crap...

Oh well, to your questions - It seems likely that Ezio lay unconscious for a couple of days, growing a nice goatee during that period. What makes me smile is how well the beard looks. Did Catarina trim it during his sleep? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

As for the scar, it's obviously symbolic. Even more so due to the fact that the scars are identical. An attempt to make Desmond and the Ancestors look like the same person?

And on a somewhat unrelated topic, with nothing to do with the actual scars:
Alta´r mentioned in the Codex that he might have sought a way to prolong his own life, or similar. What if he somehow allowed his DNA to be passed on to his offspring, lying dormant in some people, only to emerge at randomly selected times and result in some kind of natural cloning? AC is all about pseudo science, is it not? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Anyway, that could be an answer to why Ezio, Alta´r and Desmond share the same physical appearance.
They are <STRIKE>twins</STRIKE> triplets.

jimbo11235813
04-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Possible explanations for:

The beard: The knife wound could've gotten infected, creating a fever for a few days, which he may have been lucky to survive (don't know what their meds are like at that time). Not the best answer, but best I could think of (without reading the book). As for the clothes (never changing), it's probably because Ubisoft couldn't spend more time and money on another skin for Ezio for a 2 minute cut scene.

The year long boat trip: What you've got to remember is that we are seeing Ezio's life compressed into a so-many hour story. We are not living each day like Ezio lived, but just the key points in his life. This means the entire memory sequence which contained the bit with Ezio and Leo leaving for Venice would've been a year.

There may be dialogue that contradict these, but I haven't played AC2 for a while.

El_Sjietah
04-12-2010, 03:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FiskMunk:
I've learned to somewhat ignore aspects of AC II's story, since it imo lacks severely in comparison to the awesomeness that is AC I.
Also "the Ancestor's" head model, who've shrunk and now looks like crap...

Oh well, to your questions - It seems likely that Ezio lay unconscious for a couple of days, growing a nice goatee during that period. What makes me smile is how well the beard looks. Did Catarina trim it during his sleep? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

As for the scar, it's obviously symbolic. Even more so due to the fact that the scars are identical. An attempt to make Desmond and the Ancestors look like the same person?

And on a somewhat unrelated topic, with nothing to do with the actual scars:
Alta´r mentioned in the Codex that he might have sought a way to prolong his own life, or similar. What if he somehow allowed his DNA to be passed on to his offspring, lying dormant in some people, only to emerge at randomly selected times and result in some kind of natural cloning? AC is all about pseudo science, is it not? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Anyway, that could be an answer to why Ezio, Alta´r and Desmond share the same physical appearance.
They are <STRIKE>twins</STRIKE> triplets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scars don't affect your DNA, so that explanation doesn't hold.

It's just another way for Ubi to show the relationship between Desmond, Altair and Ezio. Don't look too much into it.