PDA

View Full Version : P38: Odd landing gear deployment



GR142_Astro
01-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Watching the P38 video at Zeno's (http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/realg2/P-38RV956.ram) I was struck by the odd way the landing gear on the P38 behave. They kind of quckly drop, then clunk about until they lock.

This is one characteristic of US planes I'm glad Oleg did not replicate.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

GR142_Astro
01-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Watching the P38 video at Zeno's (http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/realg2/P-38RV956.ram) I was struck by the odd way the landing gear on the P38 behave. They kind of quckly drop, then clunk about until they lock.

This is one characteristic of US planes I'm glad Oleg did not replicate.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

TAW_Oilburner
01-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Another interesting tidbit is reading about the Brewster Buffalo landing gear. Once you released the lock you had to keep your knee out of the way or it would get cracked by the free-wheeling crank. From "VF-18 The Jolly Rogers" book.

3.JG51_BigBear
01-10-2006, 11:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TAW_Oilburner:
Another interesting tidbit is reading about the Brewster Buffalo landing gear. Once you released the lock you had to keep your knee out of the way or it would get cracked by the free-wheeling crank. From "VF-18 The Jolly Rogers" book. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The F4F Wildcat was the one the had to watch out for. The F2A Buffalo had a hydraulic landing gear setup.

XyZspineZyX
01-11-2006, 07:09 AM
They do that because they are gravity-deployed. They drop with no hydraulic pressure, letting gravity do its thing then the electronic switches kick in the hydraulics which pushes the gear into the locked position. Hence the "clunking". You'd be surprised how many modern landing gear still work this way.

Taylortony
01-11-2006, 03:09 PM
They have wheels? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

GR142_Astro
01-11-2006, 03:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skunk241981:
They do that because they are gravity-deployed. They drop with no hydraulic pressure, letting gravity do its thing then the electronic switches kick in the hydraulics which pushes the gear into the locked position. Hence the "clunking". You'd be surprised how many modern landing gear still work this way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kewl, thanks for the descriptor. Not too graceful to watch. Maybe Oleg will give us a P38 with skis instead.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/URG/images/p38-13.jpg

XyZspineZyX
01-12-2006, 06:20 AM
Where was that P-38 used? Norway? Aleutians?

WOLFMondo
01-12-2006, 06:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GR142_Astro:
Watching the P38 video at Zeno's (http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/realg2/P-38RV956.ram) I was struck by the odd way the landing gear on the P38 behave. They kind of quckly drop, then clunk about until they lock.

This is one characteristic of US planes I'm glad Oleg did not replicate.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I noticed this too a while back. I'd like to see it in there, like the lazy Spitfire under carrage.

The Tempests is a bit like the lightnings, it drops, it wobbles and then gets into place. Hardly confidence inspiring!

rnzoli
01-12-2006, 07:33 AM
OTOH, why is this intructional (marketing?) video so obsessed about single engine flight of the thirty-eight? Lots of other fighters did this in a humble way all the time...by design... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

GR142_Astro
01-12-2006, 10:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rnzoli:
OTOH, why is this intructional (marketing?) video so obsessed about single engine flight of the thirty-eight? Lots of other fighters did this in a humble way all the time...by design... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly they had some scared P38 trainees after seeing a number of their M8s buy the farm upon having an engine failure at takeoff. If you don't react quickly, and by the numbers you'll be plowing up the sod.

Ervin C. Ethell, WW2 P38 pilot lost his son, Jeff in a 1997 P38 crash due to I believe a fuel-starved engine, resulting in a flat spin.

http://www.ww2guide.com/p38_6.jpg