PDA

View Full Version : new here hi

TexasRebel82
11-08-2009, 12:26 PM
hello im new here and have some questions about this game.

is it still very active still played alot online?
how is it compared to fighter ace?

TexasRebel82
11-08-2009, 12:26 PM

how is it compared to fighter ace?

AndyJWest
11-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Hi, welcome to IL-2.

It certainly is still very active online: we use HyperLobby for this.

You will find details of how to use this, together with much else in Bearcat'sNugget's Guide (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645).

You will need to patch to later versions to play online - again see the Nugget's Guide.

I've never played Fighter Ace, but I think most of us here will say that IL-2 is the best of it's kind.

FoolTrottel
11-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Welcome Here!

IL2 Sturmovik 1946 is very actively in use online.
Currently on Hyperlobby some 600 pil2ots... (and Hyperlobby is not the only way to play online)

I do not know Fighter Ace, so can't really answer that question...

Choctaw111
11-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Hello and welcome here.
Il2 1946 is very actively played online.
How does Fighter Ace compare to Il2? It doesn't.
Fighter Ace is a lot of fun, but for realism and immersion, Il2 beats it hands down.
Il2 is still THE premier WW2 combat flight simulation.

TexasRebel82
11-08-2009, 12:54 PM
ive tried fighterace few times and i always have toruble with joystick support.

how is the joystick support here? i currently have a logitech extreem 3d

Vigotsky
11-08-2009, 01:06 PM
I use the exact same joystick and never had any trouble, so I guess you should be fine too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Choctaw111
11-08-2009, 03:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TexasRebel82:
ive tried fighterace few times and i always have toruble with joystick support.

how is the joystick support here? i currently have a logitech extreem 3d </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am amazed at how well the different types of joysticks are supported here.
I had several different setups over the years, and they all worked just fine.

VMF-214_HaVoK
11-08-2009, 04:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TexasRebel82:

how is it compared to fighter ace? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thousands still play daily on Hyperlobby.

How does it compare to fighter ace? It dont. FA is not even in the same category as IL2. IL2 stands at the top all by itself.

S!

The_Stealth_Owl
11-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Welcome!!!

You won't find a better game then IL2 in the world. Maybe some aliens have something better, but thats them. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Zeus-cat
11-08-2009, 05:28 PM
If you already have the game you should follow the link below to download my training campaign - Straight From the Farm. It will teach you how to do basic takeoffs and landngs on grass as well as on carriers. The missions are usually two to three minutes in length so you get through a lot of stuff pretty quickly. The mission briefings also tell you about certain important functions you will need for realistic carrier ops.

doraemil
11-09-2009, 01:49 AM
hello,

the logitech should work fine for IL-2. You will have to adjust the sensitivity in IL-2. . . but bearcat thread explains it.

It depends what you are looking for:

Do you want world war 2 aircraft realism and combat (IL-2) fun, a wonderful and awesome community dedicated to historical accuracy (I've learned alot about WW 2 and WW 2 air combat since browsing around IL-2 groups), and a game that set the PC standard for a World War 2 Flight Sim?

OR

Playing an online video game oriented with aircraft (Fighter Ace) ?

The main difference is IL-2 has more realsitic settings. The ballistics (shooting) model and flight models in IL-2 are well done.

IL-2 is a world war 2 flight sim, and more complex. You get a sense of the aircraft differences.

IL-2 online is Free (Hyperlobby / Xfire), fighter ace you pay (subscription).

IL-2 run on highest settings with certain mods geared for graphics is gorgeous.

Fighter Ace is more of a arcade, let's fly and shoot stuff game, its more on racking up points, and playing a game w/ other people.

Fighter Ace does have a variety of war games (like protect tanks, and capture land etc).

Il-2 has cooperative campaigns where you fight alongside other players to vs others. But the beauty of IL-2 is alot of tactics and lessons learned in WW 2 is applicable in game.

Il-2 has an offline component and there are many good user designed campaigns spanning different battles in WW 2.

Il-2 also has a strong community that comes up with mods, maps, and campaigns.

I find IL-2 to have somewhat steep learning curve but it is more rewarding than an arcade type flying game (like Crimson Skies, Blazing Angels series) because its the next best thing to actually flying WW 2 warbird.

A finally, some have been playing this game since 2001 (IL-2 release date). ANd that says alot.

major_setback
11-09-2009, 05:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Stealth_Owl:
Welcome!!!

You won't find a better game then IL2 in the world. Maybe some aliens have something better, but thats them. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ssshhhh!!! Don't mention the Aliens to the new guys. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

BillSwagger
11-09-2009, 05:49 AM

how is it compared to fighter ace? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've played both sims and both have their pros and cons. Both are very active.

Pros:

Il2:

gives you better, more in depth flight model and graphics.

There are also many more planes to choose from, in which offline campaigns can be made or even online coops.

Playing online is free, and has several types of servers with various settings for different skill levels, and game play.

FA:

FA gives you more depth and strategy in playing simulated combat:
there are bases you can capture, paratroopers can be dropped, and more than two teams play to take a map.

The servers there can get games with as many as 100-200 participants and I've seen organized monthly events with up to 300 players flying in a historical battle.

there are also weekly events that attract a big venue of players.

Cons:

Il2:

Limitted mission structure, by comparison. Most of what i see is online dogfighting with the mission objectives in mind, however there are no bases to capture, no advancement of troops, or triggering of tanks....not yet anyways, but this is on the horizon from what i've read.

Higher PC load and server strain. Everyone, no matter what computer has experienced stutters and lag that can interfere with the quality of game play. Its not clear to me of what the cause is, only that no matter how much i dumb down my settings, the stutters and lag remain.

FA:

Lighter on graphics, and less realistic flight models. In fact, on their TC server they admittedly butcher some planes so that the game is more even for all sides. Historical events do use realistic flight models, where planes can enjoy their historical advantages.

There is a monthly fee to play online, but discounts are offered for buying in bulk. The upside is that cheating is properly enforced and delt with immediately. There is also immediate support for any issues with the game, or in the community.

There is not much of any offline game. It has some training missions, and is capable of setting up practice missions, but the real intention of the program is to be played online.

There is not much more i can say about either game. Both community forums and support are very similar, and for that reason you are likely to have just as much fun playing either sim.

Bill

Bearcat99
11-09-2009, 06:26 AM
Welcome aboard... This rabbit hole goes deep...... Hit The Nugget's Guide in my sig...

wheelsup_cavu
11-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi TexasRebel
Welcome to the hangar. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Wheels