PDA

View Full Version : Odd Question

Fledermaus578
02-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Yesterday, my brother and I were playing a coop campaign I made to hone our skills.(LAN set-up)
2 Bf109E-4's agin' 4 Hurricanes. We were both out of cannon ammo so took turns swooping on the last Hurricane and raking him with machine guns.
Here's the odd part: My computer screen showed the Hurricane descending... coasting with his propeller stopped. At the same time, his computer showed the same thing, except the propeller was spinning. This went on for several minutes.
Not a big deal, but any thoughts as to why?
Just curious.

Fledermaus578
02-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Yesterday, my brother and I were playing a coop campaign I made to hone our skills.(LAN set-up)
2 Bf109E-4's agin' 4 Hurricanes. We were both out of cannon ammo so took turns swooping on the last Hurricane and raking him with machine guns.
Here's the odd part: My computer screen showed the Hurricane descending... coasting with his propeller stopped. At the same time, his computer showed the same thing, except the propeller was spinning. This went on for several minutes.
Not a big deal, but any thoughts as to why?
Just curious.

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-18-2009, 12:21 PM
It is a common online bug to see disabled engines propellers spinning. Not sure what causes it but I've seen it a lot.

M_Gunz
02-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Unless the engine is seized you have to go awfully slow for the prop to stop. That may be a detail determined by the PC of the
watcher and not transmitted through the net, one PC may 'see' the conditions met while the other hasn't quite. OTOH the packets
don't all reach every machine in a game on time and some get dropped so if it is a transmitted event then that may not be 'seen'
by both PCs.

IRL the prop will be driven by passing through the air until there's too much resistance by the engine to do so. Go up to alt
in a Hurricane and shut the engine off then try to slow your glide to stop the prop then glide steeper. It's not perfect btw
but check real aviation advice about stopped engines for small prop planes.

Zeus-cat
02-18-2009, 06:48 PM
If you want to see something really weird, then have one of you fly a twin-engine aircraft. Shut down one engine and feather the prop. The pilot will see one engine stopped and one running. The observer will see both engines stopped. The plane can climb and turn and fly for hours on "no engines".