PDA

View Full Version : SOW graphics.



jeffmorgan_947
10-23-2009, 09:04 PM
I refer to the recent posting" SOW update,23rd Oct Screenshots" and ask the question what graphics would have been used to create such stunning detail such as the Spitfire cockpit interior. I am sure that our flying fraternity would like to know what is going to be needed to recreate such photgraphic effects. I am currently using a 9800GT, 4gig ram, and am enjoying very good graphic effects with FB and 46, but I think this rig will fall short trying to constantly reproduce such demanding detail.

I have that Spit cockpit now as my desktop back ground,and it gives me goose bumps just looking at it!"What detail what lighting" Cheers. JM

jeffmorgan_947
10-23-2009, 09:04 PM
I refer to the recent posting" SOW update,23rd Oct Screenshots" and ask the question what graphics would have been used to create such stunning detail such as the Spitfire cockpit interior. I am sure that our flying fraternity would like to know what is going to be needed to recreate such photgraphic effects. I am currently using a 9800GT, 4gig ram, and am enjoying very good graphic effects with FB and 46, but I think this rig will fall short trying to constantly reproduce such demanding detail.

I have that Spit cockpit now as my desktop back ground,and it gives me goose bumps just looking at it!"What detail what lighting" Cheers. JM

Choctaw111
10-23-2009, 09:18 PM
A lot more polygons than what we are used to. That is the biggest thing.
So many more polys are used in SoW:BoB. I am not sure how many are in the average plane or pit, but the amount is many times larger than what we have now.
This is what makes a big difference. That and the way the lighting and shadows are handled.
For the first time, we are going to experience effects that may cause vertigo in many people.
Real time shadows among other things will give the most realistic c0ckpit experience to date.

na85
10-23-2009, 09:19 PM
You'll have to wait until 1C releases their estimates of minimum and recommended specs for SOW

jermin122
10-24-2009, 12:29 AM
If I recall correctly, the finished cockpit of the Spitfire has been demonstrated in 2006. Oleg just put it into the game this time. Compared to the details of the cockpit, The terrain texture outside the windshield is quite disappointing to be frank.

Below are the terrain textures Oleg demostrated back in 2007 IIRC. Oleg said that the terrain in BoB would be completely modeled upon these satellite photos. And we have seen them quite nicely modeled in the Bonus DVD of 1946.But it is clearly a step-back in the screeshots released yesterday.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/restranger/Fieldsb.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/restranger/Townb.jpg

Oleg has claimed in June that 80% of the development of BoB was finished. I wonder if the rest 20% will incorporate the terrain works.Compared to the terrain of BoP, I'm afraid BoB still has a long way to go. And don't forget there is an even higher bar there where RoF stays.

Ba5tard5word
10-24-2009, 12:49 AM
Cockpits in ROF look pretty similar in realism to those in those Spitfire screenshots. But ROF is not as much fun to me compared to Il-2...I played ROF for about a week before putting it back on the shelf. So I'll wait to see if the eye candy of SOW is matched by good gameplay like we get in Il-2.

Chivas
10-24-2009, 01:46 AM
I was disappointed with some aspects of the terrain shots in the latest update, but these were screenshots of a WIP on-line fantasy island map. If Oleg comes thru with regular friday updates at some point we should see many improvements until release.