PDA

View Full Version : PF FPS Meter

michaelbjork
06-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Hello all.. just 2 quick questions. I heard that PF has a so called FPS meter. I know what it does and my question is: How do i bring this meter up and what is the optimal frame rate for PF running on a P4 3.2Mhz with 1GB 3200 type memory? My GC is a ATI Radeon 9700 Pro type. I also run WINXP. Thank you.

michaelbjork
06-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Hello all.. just 2 quick questions. I heard that PF has a so called FPS meter. I know what it does and my question is: How do i bring this meter up and what is the optimal frame rate for PF running on a P4 3.2Mhz with 1GB 3200 type memory? My GC is a ATI Radeon 9700 Pro type. I also run WINXP. Thank you.

WWSensei
06-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Use Shift-Tab to bring up the console. In the console type:

fps START SHOW

and turn it off with:

fps STOP

Art-J
06-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Of course, You have to do it during multiplayer session. Start a server for example, then type commands like WWSensei showed You. From now on, the fps meter will run even if You quit multi and decide to do some offline flying.
I'm not sure what fps You should get on Your rig. On my XP2400+, 512RAM + 9600TX card, I can run game pretty smooth (~30fps) with "perfect" settings but only if I had res. 800x600 and no AA. If the action gets hot (ships, flak guns, many planes, jungle beneath), serious fps drop (below 20-25) is result and it's better to run on "excellent" settings then

You have much more powerful CPU and memory than me, but Your graphics card will give You average performance at best... If You want to play with all eye candy turned on (plus AA and Aniso) and heavy action all around, I suggest thinking of graphics card upgrade.

Troll2k
06-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Page 24 of your Pacific Fighters manual.

Also try a 3rd party program called fraps.

Http://fraps.com

VW-IceFire
06-01-2005, 09:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by michaelbjork:
Hello all.. just 2 quick questions. I heard that PF has a so called FPS meter. I know what it does and my question is: How do i bring this meter up and what is the optimal frame rate for PF running on a P4 3.2Mhz with 1GB 3200 type memory? My GC is a ATI Radeon 9700 Pro type. I also run WINXP. Thank you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Instructions:
1) Press Shift-Tab
2) Type: fps START SHOW
3) Conduct FPS test, then press Shift-Tab again for the console and type fps STOP SHOW (to stop the whole thing)

I have a similar system with a slightly slower processor. With my settings, I get about 35-45fps average in most situations and 30fps average playing the Kamakazi Track that comes with PF.

You should be doing similar or a bit better if you have the settings tweaked like I do. I can have much higher FPS but at a reduced image quality (or by running Excellent).

Wolf_Fangs1381
06-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Hello Michael,

Go into the PF root directory & find the file named "rcu". Open it with notepad & add "@fps START SHOW" under "@a s show". Then save it. Now whenever you play PF,the fps counter will be displayed. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif No need to type it in everytime. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif =S=

P.S. Type it in minus the quote marks. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

NonWonderDog
06-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Actually, I believe it's supposed to be "fps START SHOW" to start and "fps STOP HIDE" to stop. However, STOP automatically HIDEs the meter. I think you can type "fps HIDE" to hide the big red text and keep the fps reports in the console, but I haven't tried it. Or I could be completely out of my mind.

You don't have to start a mulitplayer server to do any of this, either. Just push SHIFT+TAB for the console and type it in.

Freelancer-1
06-01-2005, 11:39 PM
michaelbjork;

I've just finished extensive testing of my new video card and monitor combo.

I can assure you that it's fps START SHOW and fps STOP SHOW to turn it on and off.

I have run this app online, off line, on my tracks, on game tracks(The Black Death is the standard frame rate killer), QMB, campaigns, co-ops and through many servers on HyperLobby.

I can't think of any situation where it will not run.

I have a system simular to yours except for my X850xt PE card.

I run The Black Death at 40+fps in perfect 1600x1200, 2x AA, 4x ANISO, Vsync on and no compression.

With my 9600xt and the same settings, it was a slide show.

It's really all about the Video card with this game .You want pretty pictures, you pay the price. Fast frame rate and pretty pictures, you pay the BIG price.

michaelbjork
06-02-2005, 02:25 AM
Okidoki... I got that guys. Thank you for sharing the information to a newbie. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif