PDA

View Full Version : Killsteal

Superluminal_8
05-05-2007, 07:40 AM
"I was in my best battlemood and I was getting hits on my enemy,when another Fokker came just in front of me a hinder my sight completely of my opponent.
When we came back to our base I wanted to ask what the heck he was thinking,but I couldn´t do so when I heard him, with a big smile in his face,telling how he had got his first aerial victory.
I did however brought it up in general,and said my opinion about it.If anyone of us is in position on a target,no one have nothing to do there.Choose a target or be without one.

The contest of aerial victories started to become a pressing issue."

Freely translated with my school english skill http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif.
Taken from the book "Hävittäjälentäjänä Karjala taivaalla" or Combat pilot under a Karelian sky.

Superluminal_8
05-05-2007, 07:40 AM
"I was in my best battlemood and I was getting hits on my enemy,when another Fokker came just in front of me a hinder my sight completely of my opponent.
When we came back to our base I wanted to ask what the heck he was thinking,but I couldn´t do so when I heard him, with a big smile in his face,telling how he had got his first aerial victory.
I did however brought it up in general,and said my opinion about it.If anyone of us is in position on a target,no one have nothing to do there.Choose a target or be without one.

The contest of aerial victories started to become a pressing issue."

Freely translated with my school english skill http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif.
Taken from the book "Hävittäjälentäjänä Karjala taivaalla" or Combat pilot under a Karelian sky.

Morteiin
05-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the translation Superluminal_8.

I'm not surprised 'kill stealing' happened in real life, given human nature. What surprises me is I can't recall reading any other accounts of it actually happening. I wonder if anyone else has?

Would be interesting to hear too whether the pilot in the above account managed to resolve the "pressing issue" by mentioning it to the other pilots as he did. How did the other pilots react to what he said? I can imagine it might have been a point of contention then just like it is now in-game.

Les.

DooDaH2007
05-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Wasn't it the object to bring down the enemy planes by any means nesesary..?

rnzoli
05-05-2007, 09:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What surprises me is I can't recall reading any other accounts of it actually happening. I wonder if anyone else has? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I recall the memories a P-51 pilot bringing down a Japanese plane while it was circling with another P-51. The other P-51 pilot accused him of kill stealing, clamining that it would have only taken a few more turns for him to get on the tail of the Japanese plane. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

rnzoli
05-05-2007, 09:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DooDaH2007:
Wasn't it the object to bring down the enemy planes by any means nesesary..? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The "kill stealers" risk their own plane to be brought down by friendly fire as they slide in between the chase plane and his target.

Morteiin
05-05-2007, 09:55 AM
"...by any means necessary?" I'm not sure about that. I'd say by any means, but not if it means unecessarily endangering your comrades (or yourself and the valuable piece of equipment you've been given charge of). The original article quoted makes it seem like the 'kill-stealer' didn't have to do what he did but was driven by the desire to get his first kill. Not enough details in this case to know for sure just how necessary or reckless it was for the 'kill-stealer' to do what he did. I think it's safe to assume though that when the speaker mentions "the CONTEST of aerial victories started to become a pressing issue" that there was in fact some kind of real-life point-whoring going on. I think I'd be a bit annoyed too if that were the case. IMO "By any means necessary" should include the means whereby you sacrifice personal glory in order to ensure the safety of you and your comrades. Living to fight another day and all that.

Actually, with further thought, I can remember hearing of similar cases, but not described in such a specific example as the incident/s above. That 'Buzz' guy for one, the ace who went to Malta, who some of the Brit pilots refused to fly with. Same sort of thing, but no specific incident recounted as an example of his recklessness and lack of concern for his fellow fliers. Anyway...I seem to be waffling.

Les.