PDA

View Full Version : When fun is no longer fun

DJBare
06-09-2010, 12:54 PM
It's obvious we all have different ideas on what constitutes fun, challenges for instance can be fun and I've enjoyed nearly every challenge this game has thrown at me, I say nearly every challenge because there is one where the fun has be drained from it!, I'm after the last seal to get Altairs armor(not that I need it), but the control system to run up the walls and leap to the side are very clumsy, heck, this is a guy who can climb extremely tall buildings then take a leap of faith, for instance I run up the wall, hit the key to make him leap to the right and instead he leaps off backwards, now I know I hit the correct key to make him leap to the right, so why does he leap off backwards as if I hit the back key?, am I missing something?, I'm very close to aborting this memory after days of trying and that would be a shame, but there is no point in continuing something I get no enjoyment from.

Help and opinions please?

DJBare
06-09-2010, 12:54 PM
It's obvious we all have different ideas on what constitutes fun, challenges for instance can be fun and I've enjoyed nearly every challenge this game has thrown at me, I say nearly every challenge because there is one where the fun has be drained from it!, I'm after the last seal to get Altairs armor(not that I need it), but the control system to run up the walls and leap to the side are very clumsy, heck, this is a guy who can climb extremely tall buildings then take a leap of faith, for instance I run up the wall, hit the key to make him leap to the right and instead he leaps off backwards, now I know I hit the correct key to make him leap to the right, so why does he leap off backwards as if I hit the back key?, am I missing something?, I'm very close to aborting this memory after days of trying and that would be a shame, but there is no point in continuing something I get no enjoyment from.

Help and opinions please?

PlagueDoctor357
06-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Basically, you think your hitting the key right...and your not.

Either that or buy a new joystick.

The controls work fine.

Maybe try letting go of X when your climbing after you get it started and only use it when you actually need to jump.

People on the forums whom played AC1 sort of mastered this by the second game so it just comes second nature.

I watched my friend have the same trouble you just explained. It just takes a bit of practice!

If you don't enjoy that, then I just say return it for another game you'll get more out of.

Murcuseo
06-09-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm prosuming by 'key' you mean keys on a keyboard.

You have to remember the position of the camera is slightly off when you're doing those moves in the sequence so what you are pressing might be right on the keys but backwards in the game with that camera position. Its just a matter of practise and remembering the sequence while taking into account the position of the camera... that does sound complictaed but its really not once you get the hang of it lol

DJBare
06-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Your not gonna believe this, I actually made it to the sarcophicus room only to have the game shut down on me, I manage to refrain from throwing my keyboard at the monitor, too expensive!

Thanks for the tip on letting go of the W key, thats how I made it in the end, while typing this I reloaded the game with the awful fear I would have to go through that rigmarole all over again, some challenges are good, some are downright irritating!

lilbacchant
06-09-2010, 02:38 PM
I feel for you, brother!

I was the same way the first time I played AC2. I'd played AC1 several times before AC2 came out, but I never used any of those special jumps. Hell, I didn't even know they were in the game mechanics.

My first play-thru, I absolutely hated the tombs, especially the last ones. Add my inexperience w/ the special jumps, the forced camera perspective and the ticking clock in the background, and I don't know how many times I yelled, "I'm playing Assassin's Creed, not f**king Super Mario!!", out of frustration.

But now, during my third play-thru (or is it my fourth?), I like the tombs. Plus, this is my first play w/ the DLC, including the Templar Lairs, which I would've hated the first time.

Now I appreciate that the tombs forced me learn those special jumps as I now use them regularly outside of the tombs as well.

Here's hoping you didn't lose your progress to the gremlins in your 'puter ...

adarwinter
06-09-2010, 03:57 PM
the idea in that move is to start pressing "right" right before u add the jump. that's it.
it frustrated me as well for the same reasons but doing it THAT way solved me side jumping issues.

DJBare
06-09-2010, 04:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lilbacchant:
I feel for you, brother! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, I figure I will get used to the keys and the timing just as I have with other games, but I will never get used to or enjoy that forced camera, it actually does give me a real honest headache due to disorientation, I'm not sure, but I think I doubled up on my pain killers! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

DJBare
06-09-2010, 04:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adarwinter:
the idea in that move is to start pressing "right" right before u add the jump. that's it.
it frustrated me as well for the same reasons but doing it THAT way solved me side jumping issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree, the problem I "seem" to have is that it does not always respond as expected, for instance I ran up the wall, released W and hit D+space only to have Ezio jump off backwards into the water, hmmm, thinking about what I just wrote it could be that Space is responding before D.