PDA

View Full Version : Game goes back to Desktop after launching game

Tait_hamiel
10-20-2004, 09:01 PM
Install went great. When I launch the game, the game appears to want to start, and then I get the brown book, then a black screen for a few seconds, and then it just goes back to the desktop.

System:
IBM Clone
Pentium III 933MHZ
500MB of RAM
Creative Sound Blaster PCI512
32MB ATI Rage Fury Pro / Xpert 2000 Pro

All drivers have been updated with the latest XP Direct X drivers.

When I launch the MYST Configurator, everything "checks" out just fine (no question marks). My system is said to be compliant with MYST IV.

When I go to DXDIAG from the RUN prompt, I do both of the Video tests (DirectDraw and Direct3D) and pass with flying colors. The rest of the system checks out with a clean bill of health (I have a DXDIAG report to prove it!)

I have even tried launching the game through the MYST configurator after changing the option from NO to YES after the "Use minimal (safe) game configuration" field. No luck.

I found another thread that said to make a new User Account on the XP workstation (call it "MYST"), and launch the game from that account (with ADMIN rights). That didn't work either.

Please help!

maztec
10-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Isn't the ATI Rage Fury Pro below an ATI Radeon 7000?

I'm pretty sure it is....

Tait_hamiel
10-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Oddly enough, the requirements are for a 32MB Video card. The minimum system requirements state the handful of viedo cards it was tested on, however, it doesn't say you have to buy a new video card to play the game if you don't have one of the listed.

So, what you are telling me is that this game has gone from being a $40 purchase to a $120 purchase?

Perhaps the Minimum System Requirements need to be a bit more explicit.

maztec
10-21-2004, 12:07 PM
-- in re-reading my post it comes off as sarcastic and slightly edgy. I'd like to assure you it isn't meant that way, but is rather intended to be informative of what my box does say on the back.

Question:
Your box on the back doesn't say:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Video Card: 32 MB Direct(R) 9.0-compliant video card (64MB recommended) (see supported list*)

*Supported Video Cards at Time of Release: ATI(R) Radeon^TM 7000 to 9000 or better, NVIDIA(R) GeForce^TM 1/2/3/4/FX families, Matrox Parhelia^TM (PC only), Intel(R) i865G to i915G (PC only). Laptop models of these cards are not fully supported. These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game. Additional chipsets may be supported after release. For an up-to-date list of supported chipsets, p[lease visit the FAQ for this game on our support website at http://support.ubi.com/
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It fairly clearly states "These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game."

Not "These chipsets are the handful of video cards the game was tested on."

So yes, you're going to have to buy a $40 to $400 video card. My apologies.

Maz