PDA

View Full Version : Super P40s?

bmoffa
09-02-2007, 09:46 AM
I like flying the P40, especially the M, but I usually don't fly them on-line because they are suposed to be obsolete in their own time. However; I've encountered P40-Ms both on-line and using the Quick Mission Builder that seem indestructable. I easily out manuever them and I can usually slow them down on the first pass, but after that I hit them over and over and they fly on trailly vapors or smoke. I know I'm hitting them, because of the shower of debre that come off on each pass. Other airplanes go down for me under similar circumstances. In the several cases I can remember this happening I was in a late model Spitfire or one or a mid or late model A6Ms.

Could these things be over modeled? I know they are vonerable from the front, because whenever I chase something that has rear guns, I'm usally blinded by engine oil or dead if I linger in the six too long.

Anybody else ever notice this?

bmoffa
09-02-2007, 09:46 AM
I like flying the P40, especially the M, but I usually don't fly them on-line because they are suposed to be obsolete in their own time. However; I've encountered P40-Ms both on-line and using the Quick Mission Builder that seem indestructable. I easily out manuever them and I can usually slow them down on the first pass, but after that I hit them over and over and they fly on trailly vapors or smoke. I know I'm hitting them, because of the shower of debre that come off on each pass. Other airplanes go down for me under similar circumstances. In the several cases I can remember this happening I was in a late model Spitfire or one or a mid or late model A6Ms.

Could these things be over modeled? I know they are vonerable from the front, because whenever I chase something that has rear guns, I'm usally blinded by engine oil or dead if I linger in the six too long.

Anybody else ever notice this?

Jaws2002
09-02-2007, 09:58 AM
You said it yourself. Their engine is vulnerable, so hit them in the engine from the side/above. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Don't waste your ammo from dead six. Most planes have the armor placed to protect the pilot and fuel tanks from rear quarter attack.
Attacking from the side and/or above will expose his fragile parts in the front.

DKoor
09-02-2007, 10:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jaws2002:
Don't waste your ammo from dead six. Most planes have the armor placed to protect the pilot and fuel tanks from rear quarter attack.
Attacking from the side and/or above will expose his fragile parts in the front. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>+1

When 40 shows the profile aim for engine, pit or wings......

VW-IceFire
09-02-2007, 10:32 AM
The P-40 is like most American aircraft...its built to be sturdy and tough. Probably over engineered. They aren't hot rod performers like the various European fighters but they sure can take a licking and keep going.

So I'm not surprised that you put a few rounds into a P-40 and found it to be still working. Its really not that tough and is probably one of the weaker American fighters...aim for the engine or the cockpit (I got killed today by a single 7.92mm round into my P-40E's canopy...man was I annoyed) and your golden. The rear fuselage and the wings can take a fair beating from cannons...nevermind smaller machine guns.

DrHerb
09-02-2007, 10:52 AM
sometimes that 1 magic bullet that rips a large chunk out of your wing can hit you too, basically rendering you (or most likely me) practically useless in a fight, sometimes you can take an insane amount of hits too, its an odd plane sometimes

249th_Maico
09-02-2007, 11:15 AM
In the 109 i dont bother with the cannon when attacking 109s. Seems as tho when they climb, you can fire just in front of the cowl and stop that engine every time. It usually cathes fire. I usually wait untill they climb then aim above and in the direction of movement. This happens from about 100-150m away. As posted above, the rest of the A/C is quite sturdy. Dont forget the golden rules of gunnery. When you think you are too close get closer(learn good throttle control) Use short bursts at all times. Pick a spot and keep hitting that spot. (this is particularly usefull with IL2s. Lastly, dont spend a bucket full of ammo on one enemy A/C. For example, get in close, make mince-meat out of his rudder and elevator then move on.... He will be out of the fight.

Cheers